1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do you HATE the Dallas Cowboys?!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ESource, Jul 26, 2002.

1. ESource

ESource Member

Why when they are 5 times Super Bowl Champions? Why when they are innovators, i.e. the shotgun, the flex defense, the draft computer. Why when they have the bad a$$ nickname for their defense: "DOOMSDAY"! Why when they are worth the highest of any NFL team? Why when their helmet is the best looking? Why when they are "America's Team"? Why when they have the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders? Just wondering why?;) :p

#1 ESource, Jul 26, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2002
  2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I've always been a Cowboys fan, and when the Oilers were here, I was always an Oilers fan as well.

My dream was to have an all-Texas super-bowl, but the Oilers could never get over the hump.

Anyways, I always thought that it was funny that Oilers fans hated the Cowboys with such a passion.

On the sports radio talk shows Oiler's fans would always whine and whine and whine about the Cowboys. The funny thing was is that Cowboys fans didn't hate the Oilers and only talked trash about them in retaliation.

In fact, most Houstonions that happened to be Cowboys fans also rooted for the Oilers. I've never heard of anyone who was an Oilers fan that rooted for the Cowboys when the Oilers weren't playing...its almost like the Oilers fans were bitter about something.

Anyways...the Oilers are gone and I'm still a Cowboys fan, however, I hope the Texans do well and I will root for them too.
    I can't wait to go to a Texans game in the new stadium, and whenever the Cowboys play the Texans, I'll probably just root for whoever has the ball at the time!

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Wow, a Cowboys fan whipping out the "You're just jealous because we're so successful" bit...Yeah, we haven't heard THAT one before!

Why do Red Sox fans hate the Yankees?
    Why do Giants fans hate the Dodgers?
    Why do Rockets fans hate the Jazz?

They just DO!!! Does there really have to be a reason to hate somebody? You don't hear to many people say, "Damn, I hate those Arizona Cardinals" or "Those darn Tampa Bay Devil Rays really burn my butt!"

BTW, Is QUINCY CARTER going to lead the Cowgirls to another Superbowl title? HA!

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I loved the Cowboys in the early years. That "America's Team" stuff turned me off, though.

That and, as a Houstonian, aren't you supposed to just hate everything Dallas?!

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have lived all my life in Houston...and I love Houston...but Dallas is pretty cool as well.

I think I just like TEXAS and all that goes with it.

I think I'm a Cowboys fan because my Dad is from El Paso, and every other place in Texas that's not Houston roots for the Cowboys.

Oh well...I always root for Texas teams when my particular team isn't playing.

I'm an Aggie and I even rooted for UT in the CWS because I wanted a Texas team to win it....

Just like I rooted for the Mavs and the Spurs when the Rockets weren't in the playoffs, but whenever the Rockets play the Mavs or Spurs or they are in a division race, I root for the Rockets.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Jerry Jones

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I hate them because of the fans, pure and simple.

I moved here to the Dallas area in 1991 from Houston.....HUGE Oilers fan, Rockets fan, Astros fan.

You cannot find a Cowboy fan anywhere, unless you turn the right rocks over, when they are doing badly. but when they win Superbowls, EVERYONE is a Cowboy fan. OK, fairweather fans exist in every city right? Right.

I managed Footaction stores then. Cowboys merchandise was stagnant...NO ONE was buying ANY of it.

But when I say to them,"Where were you when the Boys were terrible? Why weren't you in my store buying hats and jackets then?"

They ALWAYS say, "Listen, I was a fan when the Cowboys were 1-15. I have been a true fan for 1 million years, blah blah blah."

Then they always proceeded to ridicule me for liking the Oilers. Oiler suck, blah blah blah.....

F- the Cowboys. Plus, I had some experiences (no not that kind) with Michael Irvin and some of his friends and relatives. Not positive experiences.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

BINGO!! We have a winner!! :D

That was one of the things with me also...Who da hell decided they were "America's Team"? I don't remember voting for that...

Besides, my best friend when I was a kid was a die-hard Cowgirls fan, and I was a die-hard Oilers fan..(Luv Ya Blue!) and it was just natural for us to hate each other's fav team..it gave us something else to say when we were cutting down each other...;)

And yes..as a lifelong Houstonian..I have always hated ANYTHING Dallas-related...I hate driving in Dallas, I hate the Cowgirls, I hate the Mavs,...I hate the fact that when anyone nationally talks about Texas, it's always about Dallas, without mentioning Houston...(just another disrespect thing there)..

arghhh...

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The "America's Team" stuff just got funnier and funnier with each arrest and conviction. :D

I'm with A-Train, who needs a reason to hate the Cowboys? It's just one of those things.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Why do I hate the Dallas Cowboys?

Because I grew up in Houston!:)

11. Buck Turgidson

One of the few really funny things I've heard on Rome's show was how "America's Team" morphed to "America's Bandwagon" & then eventually to "America's Crackwagon". Good stuff.

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Boy that experience doesn't jibe with mine. For example, I remember listening to the radio before the Thanksgiving game in 1997. Cowboys fan after Cowboys fan would call in talking about how the Cowboys could still make the playoffs if they win out. The fans would go on to mention the tough game or two left on the schedule, completely ignoring the very next opponent - the Houston Oilers.

The host would interject something like "What about the Oilers? They could lose to them." And the Cowboys fans would come back with "Pffft. That's not very likely."

It's that arrogance, especially when it's misplaced (the Cowboys lost big to the Oilers that Thanksgiving and lost the rest of their remaining games that season).

It continues to this day. This summer, I was taking a class at UTA. I wore a Texans t-shirt one day, and a guy in the class asked me why I was a fan of the Texans. I told him how I grew up as an Oilers fan, to which he replied "Pfft. That worked out really well for you. How many Super Bowls did they win?"

It's just that arrogance of the fans that makes it annoying to deal with Cowboys fans.

Of course, I'm not actually anti-Cowboys - the team. There are some good people on that team, and living in Dallas, it's hard not to root for some of them at least a little bit. And now that they've come down from their perch and are kind of underdogs of a sort again (however briefly), I find myself pulling for them from time to time (the fact that I didn't have a team to root for the last several years probably added to that).

13. Bigman

Bigman Member

I think that pretty much sums it up for me. If he wasn't such an arrogant jackass I think I'd be behind them. I'm just glad we now have the Texans. I can't wait for them to beat the Boyz. :p

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Now, I hate Cohen because he knows how to use Times New Roman as a font on the message board! :D

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Simple, because I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with those that used to love the Cowboys but now hates them.

Reasons are they didn't retire Tony Dorsett's or Drew Pearson's number after Jerry Jones bought the team. They fired Tome Landry, The America's team BS.

17. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

I've hated them forever. Since I moved to this country 11 years ago, I turned on the Super Bowl and thought, "Cowboys? F*** them." I hate Troy Aikman even though my sister thought he was hot. I hated Emmitt Smith cuz he had nothing on Barry Sanders. I hated Michael Irvin cuz of his taunting. I hated Alvin Harper cuz of his touchdown dance. I hated Leon Lett becuz he was a complete jackass and didn't know any better. I hated Charles Haley becuz he left my beloved Niners and joined the "dark side".

I am in Houston, therefore I hate Dallas. I was a huge Oilers fan and still am a huge Niners fan...reason enough.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's a Dallas thing.

19. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I hate 'em because they stole my first name!! I can't count the amount of times some dumb sh*t has asked me "Hey man, are your parents Cowboys fans?" Besides, they're the Texans' rivals now, so GO TEXANS and screw 'Da Boys'.

20. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

When I was a kid growing up in Columbus, Ohio, the Cowboys were my favorite team. I even cried when they got beat by the Bengals one year, something like 52-24-- I was so embarassed that my favorite team lost to my kid brother's favorite team.

When I moved to Texas, I went through a period of "displaced Yankee alienation". I hated almost all things Texas, with the exception of the Rockets and Astros. Hated the Oilers, hated the Cowboys. Even hated my future alma mater enough to be happy when UT got destroyed by Houston in 1989. Kind of weird to think about now.

Anyway, as I got a little older and grew to love Texas, the Cowboys started to improve. I really liked Aikman, Novacek, and especially Emmitt Smith. I never became a Cowboys fan-- I want to make that clear-- but I "liked" the team in that sort of casual way you'll root for a team. When Dallas won the Super Bowl following the 1992 season, I was happy for them. I rooted for them against Buffalo.

Then, it began.

Cowboys shirts and caps, everywhere. Bandwagon Cowboys fans who couldn't even name three players-- yes, I am serious, I talked to more than one "big Cowboys fan" who couldn't name three players on the roster.

I decided I hated Cowboys fans enough to hate the team too. By the next year's Super Bowl, I was rooting against them. By the time Barry Switzer was hired, I was convinced they were the personification of the Devil.

Now, I have a more mature though still odd relationship with them. They make a great nemesis to root against. But in order to fun to root against, they have to be good. So I am in the incongruous position of rooting for Dallas to get good enough for me to root against.