1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are there still Titans fans from Houston?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RedRaiderRocket, Aug 18, 2011.

1. RedRaiderRocket

At first it was because they were the old Oilers, but their owner sold out took his team away from Houston and sold us out. Then Titans got more fans because people here thought the Texans should of drafted local hero VY instead of Mario. I know this probably has been mentioned hundreds of times in VY is the greatest thread. Did Titans fans now switch their loyalties to the Eagles? Hearing all these Titan names when they call radio stations makes me wonder. I know you don't have to be living or from the city to like a team I am just curious.

2. LFE171

LFE171 Member

I don't mind Titans fans that much because they may be loyal to the old Oilers. The VY fans following the Eagles is interesting though. But what you SHOULD be asking is:

Why are there still Dallas Cowboy fans from Houston?

I can sorta understand if...you started to watch football when the Oilers left, and there wasn't another team to root for that was close and good (so the saints wouldn't count) and chose the Cowgirls. But now that you have a franchise here in Houston AND it's been a decade...just support them already. Geez.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have a friend that moved out of Houston the same time the Oilers left. So he has no connection to the Texans and kept rooting for the Titans.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There were always Cowboys fans in Houston. The two biggest cowboy fans I knew in college were from Houston.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because houston's team sucks?

1 person likes this.
  6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Pshh, please.

They're Eagle fans now. Long time Eagle fans.

AHh man, Herm Edwards was my man.

STFU and get out of my face.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Are you bringing this up because some moron Titans fan called into Matt and Adam today about 9:40 AM?

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so does the basketball team..are you going to start cheering for the mavs?

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That would describe me. I also have been a Texas fan as long as I've been a Oilers fan. I have over 100 alumni in my family, and my blood bleeds orange. My love for the Titans has waned a little over the years especially because of the VY fiasco, but I still like them more than the Texans.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One thing I have come to learn about fandom, if you're truly a fan, you can't choose who you like.

Take the Dallas Mavericks; now, I used to really really hate them. But over the last few years my stance softened. Then this year, I actually rooted for them all throughout the playoffs.

Why? I don't know. There's no reasoning there. I should really hate them, right? But it just is what it is, the situation turned into one whereby my brain turned me into a psuedo fan.

So I don't blame some people for still being Titans fans.

But I do not care for stupid fans. I find stupid fans to be very annoying. And that's stupid fans of the Texans, Titans, Cowboys or any team or player. Know your team. Know the sport. Don't overhype certain players (cough, cough... VY). There's more than enough coverage, media, tv, internet research, stats, advanced stats, etc, etc, etc these days to be capable of making informed statements when discussing your team... ESPECIALLY if you are going to call into a radio show to do so.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What did tinman or mrdave543 say?

1 person likes this.
  12. RedRaiderRocket

In a way yes, but there is more than a few people with Titan monikers Titan Rick, Titan Steve. I find it hilarious that whoever put monikers in front of their names, you know the person is a moron. But like I said I am just curious why people here would still like them after their owner turned his back on Houston, and now that VY is no longer with them. To me it doesn't make sense.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Titan Rick is an idiot. If I ever see him, i'd like to kick him in the kneecaps, and punch him in the face.

This might get offensive, and it probably is, but he's a black player chaser. I'm sure he would rather lose with a black player than win.

It's those idiots that always call for Matt Schaubs head when the defense is giving up 30 points a game.

Well back to thread topic.

Look at your stupid little flaming thumbtack. Your mascot is a stupid raccoon. A raccoon!

Wait until I run your ass over.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You have to wonder about anyone who would bother to call a radio talk show anyway, but if you call so often that you actually have a moniker....well, that's a pretty good indicator that you need to get laid as soon as possible.

On titan fans from Houston, I still compare it to sending your cheating ex-wife a birthday card every year. I don't get it, I'll never get it, but I'm done trying to figure it out.

It's been sooooo long since they were the Oilers. Ancient history. I'm over it. Now I just hate them because they're in our division, not because they were the Oilers 15 years ago.

1 person likes this.
  15. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

i dont think the owner sold out,did the city vote no for a new stadium and the league told them they had to move if they couldnt get one? im a titans and texans fan.

16. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Haha, I cant take credit, I didnt get to hear it either....

That being said, as I stated in other threads, I don't really have a "team" anymore either. I won't claim to be a die-hard eagles fan just because VY is a backup there, but I will enjoy watching that team play and hope they do well.

The old houston oilers connection I had to the titans are gone and I am no longer actively rooting for them based on where the franchise is heading. Yes I know Munchak was a Houston Oiler, but the reason I kept rooting for the Titans was because of Steve McNair, Eddie George, Derrick Mason, Jeff Fisher, then to Vince Young, now that all have moved on....so shall I.

I do hope to become a Texans fan someday, as I do have season tickets, but it will take time. It might be hypocritical of me, but I truly hope they will be fun to watch and I can eventually call them my team.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kind of where I am, but I have slowly been drawn in to rooting for the Texans.

My kids like their team and we watch all the games, I will never be as die hard as I was for the Oilers, that was my team man, but I will cheer for the Texans over all others.

And this year, I think they are primed for big things.

DD

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I hung on for the same reason, but unwilling to move on right now. I was ready to move on after the way they handled Steve McNair at the end, and drafting VY rekindled my desire to root for them. VY leaving doesn't bother me the way McNair did, since McNair was forced out of the facility, but it was time for VY to go elsewhere.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Texans have a really prime opportunity to win some fans this year, especially disaffected Titans and Cowboys fans.

I hope they make the most of it.

20. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I agree the McNair ending left a sour note, but the whole Fisher/VY thing was a repeat. Even though I didnt think Fisher was the right coach for the team anymore or VY in particular, I can understand parting ways with just VY, but for them to lose both was the last straw for me.