1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are shooter manifestos published?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Aug 4, 2019.

?

Should shooter manifestos and media accounts be public

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Senator

Senator Member

I've always wanted to ban assault weapons - but that's not going to stop a deranged lunatic.

America is not New Zealand. 400 million weapons in circulation aren't all going to be accounted for, a thriving black market will pop up, etc.

The problem isn't white nationalism, even though that's what deranged lunatics make it out to be. It's middle class white males losing out to a global economy and the entitlement of not having what their parents had. Trump has tried to address that economically and why he had so many obama voters swing to him, not by saying "immigrants are bad". Legal immigrants themselves are siding with Trump because they don't want a free for all system where illegals come over whenever they like. It also lets corporations exploit these workers in agro business and construction .. they have little to no human rights.

If Democrats and Republicans could agree to the above, a lot of the scapegoating (evil mexican for left out males will go away.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It IS a white nationalism problem. And scapegoating immigration simply plays into the white nationalism problem.

3. Senator

Senator Member

Sure, and you're on some next level gangster rap thinking. We can go in these circles forever.

White nationalism is the scapegoat here, like islam is the scapegoat for isis. The issue is an inability to integrate that leads to violence.

The blame lies with political parties on both sides. They are catering to extremists instead of finding a common sense, common ground and placing heavier restrictions on corporations. Corporations hurt both as they increase the income gap between the haves and have nots, hurt local businesses and import the cheapest products available. So are all white nationalists anti corporation? No, it's just extremism that spouts up from not having options (like we see with religion). That change has to be made to help the middle class and poor of all races ... then we'll see the hate go away.

4. NewRoxFan

5. NewRoxFan

Telling that you position identification of white nationalism as a problem with "gangsta rap thinking". And that white nationalism is a "scapegoat". Those are your examples of common sense, common ground thinking?

6. Senator

Senator Member

If you support illegal immigration, you're part of the problem. Any blue collar legal immigrant will tell you that (why aren't we listening to them?), or anyone who see's how corporations in agrobusiness and construction exploit them.

7. NewRoxFan

Again, making false accusations (gangata rap thinking, support illegal immigration) doesn't only weakens your position and people's thinking about you.

8. Senator

Senator Member

Too fixated on your hatred of white men to see the real issue. Trump is an idiot, but he's allowed to be successful by democrats who pander to illegals instead of having a hardline policy and focusing on in house issues affecting every day Americans. I am promoting a democrat policy of heavier corporate regulations to help the have nots in rural areas and inner cities instead of continuing to increase the wealth gap.

"White" white "white" is on your mind too much ... that's just what's on the surface.

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Oh... so it’s now time to shift blame to Democrats because being a good person who doesn’t want to see kids in cages etc. inspires maniac white nationalists to act out in violence.

Yeah... great logic and attempt to shift blame. Nobody supports illegal immigration. It’s dumb to encourage families to make that dangerous journey with the dangers of the geography, and now the dangers of our governments care when apprehended. However people overstaying their visas on vacation or for part time work make up the vast majority of illegal immigrants.

I don’t know if you argument is in good faith and has nothing to do with the mass shootings. Just a blame shift. Being a good person shouldn’t inspire violence. That’s on the hate filled maniacs to figure out why they are inspired by just being a good person.

If these people really wanted to solve the problem they’d volunteer their time or career to work with Central American countries to clean up their country. A friend of mine volunteers for two weeks out of the year to bring fresh water wells to poor parts of Honduras. More of that is needed. As long as America has the amenities and life opportunities that other countries do not have, people will find their way here one way of another. No wall or AK47 will stop that.

10. NewRoxFan

Heck, you don't know what color I am. But you claim I am hating white people when I identify white nationalism as a problem that leads to mass shootings like El Paso.

This thread is just a ridiculous and transparent effort to deflect from the shooting, white nationalism, and trump's effect on both.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Major news outlets didn't publish it. That's the point I'm making.

Umm...the link you linked me to doesn't at all show the manifesto, did you read it? It only talks about it existing.

Also, I'm no internet expert dude, a quick google search brings it up.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that there is real danger of such manifestos inspiring others. We've seen this countless times with Islam radicalism and in this case we see with the Christchurch shooting and also with the Charleston shooting. I believe though that bans are speech especially very provocative speech is ultimately self-defeating as the banning of such speech through official channels and major media sources makes it more fascinating to many of those who already are very distrustful. Further the suppression of such speech could lead to more recrimination, division and possibly violence as accusations would immediately come from various sides of the political spectrum that the speech was being banned for political reasons. For example if the Dayton shooter wrote a manifesto that he was out to kill Trump supporters in a state and district that went for Trump what would you think if CNN and etc.. said they wouldn't publish it?

Speech is dangerous. Speech is also powerful. That is why it is and should be one of our fundamental rights. The counter to speech should be more speech. Rather than suppressing and hiding things like terrorist manifestos we should be speaking out against them.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Again, banning the manifesto is really irrelevant.

We should ask why it exists and who is teaching him these ideas in the first place.

This is what Ben Shapiro retweeted...

This is the issue. Has always been the issue. It's what people that have been watching this stuff have been shouting about (and me too) that people are being radicalized online and it is a concerted effort. It's not by accident. We need more people on the right to realize this, realize the threat this is (especially with the amount of militias out there) and crack down on it and make it clear to these people that their efforts to turn this country into their fascist dreamland won't happen.

The reason the manifesto exists in the first place is because there is a pipeline to this stuff. It's not even all that hard to find. If people like Senator and other conservatives cared so much about fighting hate then they would be alarmed by this as well.

Delete the manifesto, fine, but it still won't stop the pipeline of people being radicalized.

Xenon likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is sounding very much like the "there are good people on both sides" . Honestly you are essentially justifying the actions the shooter.

Also no most "legal immigrants" are not supporting Trump. "Illegal" by definition is what the law says and theoretically such laws, and their interpretation, can and do change. If the we changed immigration law along the lines of what Julien Castro is proposing, decriminalizing border crossing, would you support that since by definition many of those now considered "illegal" would no longer be?

Also this argument that is frequently brought up that this is just about "illegal immigration" while people are fine with "legal" immigration ignores that Trump is targeting legal immigration. He has targeted family migration, so called "chain migration" even though members of his family have used it. He has talked about changing how and which countries can immigrant such as for benefiting Scandinavian countries over other countries. He is targeting refugees who are here through a lawful process including in most cases a years long screening process. Finally he is targeting asylum seekers who have a legal right to come and apply for asylum under both US and international law.

Invisible Fan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have you read many of @Senator 's posts?

16. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I'm not in the business of book burning. Information meant for public should be freely available.

Saying that, I think it is extremely tacky for news networks to publish, promote, and push killers manifesto's. It's sad that societies ethics are stooped so low for advertisement and dollars. I'd probably look for a new news source than the one promoting such things~ they are unethical institutions.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think it's productive to understand how exactly these people are radicalized and what sources of media they consume to get where they are.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

That's why I think the information should be freely available for those who seek out that information and am anti-banning these types of things.

19. Senator

Senator Member

.. have you read the manifesto? You conveniently insert your narrative into this. The shooter said it was false news to blame Trumps rhetoric _- he wasn’t influenced by it. The Christchurch manifesto on the other hand...

White nationalist terrorist incidents were happening throughout Obama’s tenure. Black on black crime increased. Was his rhetoric to blame?

You’re too focused on your narrative to see this is an economic issue many fringe Americans are dealing with. Just like you argue violence amongst African Americans is related to lack of economic opportunity, mass shootings by white nationalists are the same thing with entitlement Thrown in.

You can ban guns, but they’ll still happen. You can say love one another, but they’ll still happen. The solution comes from corporate regulation leading to economic opportunities in local communities.

20. Senator

Senator Member

It was on cnns twitter feed this morning,,, not anymore.

It is a clear line that is crossed. A healthy mind can read anything and see it for what it is. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people who do not have that and are too disillusioned / young to distinguish. I am very clear on this ... ban all kinds of hate speech that prompt violence from all forms of media. It doesn’t teach me anything, it just inspires the next lunatic. Whether it is isis propaganda , white manifestos , nothing new is learnt by the general public.

Keep it for the fbi and CIA.