1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why America will be more like Texas soon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Why America will be more like Texas soon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The rest of the country will be forced to wear ties like this soon.

Non-Texans can hate on us all they want, but they'll have to accept that our country is becoming more and more Texan every day.

• At least that's what a magazine based in London says.
    Driving the news: The Economist published two stories last week examining Texas' booming population and economy to show how "Texas keeps getting bigger."

The big picture: Texas has the second largest population in the U.S. and is on track to surpass California in the 2040s, the Economist reports.

• That will enable Texas to become even more influential in the country's politics, economy and transition to renewable energy.
    State of play: Gov. Greg Abbott has repeatedly made headlines for his views on immigration — and for sending busloads of migrants to Democratic states — but that hasn't deterred many companies and people from moving to Texas.

• Texas' population grew by almost 20% from 2010 to 2021. Its economy grew by 39%, 1.5 times faster than the national economy, per the Economist.
    Lessons from Texas: Other states can take lessons from Texas on how to run a lean government and attract outsiders through business incentives and no state income tax.

• The state has also diversified its economy vastly since the oil bust of the 1980s, enabling its major cities to specialize in different areas of the economy.

• Austin has become a tech hotspot, Houston is known for its oil and gas, and Dallas is a financial hub.
    Zoom in: This Economist story focuses on the allure of Dallas-Fort Worth, explaining how our region's reputation has evolved since the show "Dallas."

Yes, but: It's too soon to tell if Texas' divisive take on abortion or LGBTQ+ rights will make a long-term difference to its growth.

Worthy of your time: Lawrence Wright's "God Save Texas" explains how our complicated state has changed the U.S.

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hmmm I notice the metrics they measure a successful lean government is attracting businesses and industry.

What about healthcare access? Basic standard of living metrics? Wealth inequality levels? Etc?

You can measure California as a resounding success through economic production numbers. But I doubt our conservative friends here think California is a resounding success.

FranchiseBlade and edwardc like this.
  5. adoo

adoo Member

On the other hand, As reported by the Houston Chronicle,

The Lone Star State is the fifth best place for business in the country, but it is the second worst place to live in.

based on metrics such as capita crime rates, environmental quality, protections against discrimination, voting rights and health care quality, and others. Texas ranked 49th on the list.

fwiw, Texas has the unfortunate distinction of having
    1. the nation's highest uninsured rate — about 18% in 2021, compared to the national average of 8.6% — and
    2. its largest uninsured population of roughly 5 million people.

#5 adoo, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republicans are destroying all the things good about Texas. They care more about the business owners they lure here than the Texans themselves. No tears for mass shootings victims, just the push for more loose guns. Fighting regulations set to protect us, while protecting the chemical spewing plants and toxic waste dumps from losing money cleaning up their acts and protecting our air, water, land, and people. Vouchers for wealthy White Christians and their private schools, while spitting on the needy, the uninsured, the sick, the elderly. Flaunting the manhood and taking away women's rights, gay rights, and anyone else's rights that doesn't fit the new branded Stepford Wife role. Immigrants are evil, white man toting gun is good mentality. Blacks to the back, gays are evil, and anyone not agreeing is just woke!

#7 deb4rockets, Mar 21, 2023
    Newlin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  8. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Hahaha so funny - how many people are trying to get the hell out of California again?
    California's total population declined by more than 500,000 between April 2020 and July 2022.

anytime I need a good laugh you deliver plus I don't have to pay you for the comedy - seems only fitting giving you feel everyone should have wealth equality, even if they don't put in the effort

9. fchowd0311

I can bet my left nut there are billions, literally billions of people who live worse lives than you even though they are more intelligent and harder workers.

deb4rockets likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Race to the bottom works for awhile..... then it doesn't. California was pretty conservative, but turned more liberal as the population grew and you see the same thing with Texas.

11. ROXRAN

America is great as long as we keep it that way

12. fchowd0311

[​IMG]

Now if you believe that 1000% gap is purely from white people being 10x more hard working than Black people than don't be offended by being called a racist. That would be very odd.

13. dmoneybangbang

Which takes adaptation....... we've had many different versions of America as time marches forward.

14. ROXRAN

The great thing about charts and graphs is you can have a different comparison and here we go Asians doing the best. How about that a minority group
    https://www.epi.org/blog/racial-dis...-unchanged-amid-strong-income-growth-in-2019/

15. ROXRAN

That is true - both good and bad along the way there's never just good and there's never just bad in any era -

16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Republicans are destroying all the things good about Texas. They care more about the business owners they lute here than the Texans themselves. No tears for mass shootings victims, just the push for more loose guns. Fighting regulations set to protect us, while protecting the chemical spewing plants and toxic waste dumps from losing money cleaning up their acts and protecting our air, water, land, and people. Vouchers for wealthy White Christians and their private schools, while spitting on the needy, the uninsured, the sick, the elderly. Flaunting the manhood and taking away women's rights, gay rights, and anyone else's rights that doesn't fit the new branded Stepford Wife role. Immigrants are evil, white man toting gun is good mentality. Blacks to the back, gays are evil, and anyone not agreeing is just woke!
    Keep it what way? Ignoring the mistakes of the past, the crimes upon those deemed less worthy or less intelligent than a white man? We've made so much progress, but the greedy 1% own all the power and are fueling the power hungry politicians to bend over backwards to cut regulations, ignore their billions of dollars in white collar crimes, ignore the escalation of violence and mass shootings, ignore all the millions who can't afford healthcare, ignore the people sickened by toxins and chemicals spewing into their waters. It's all in the name of greed when some power hungry politicians actually opposes reduced insulin prices, or affordable healthcare. There is no excuse to care more about pleasing a billion dollar business over someone pleading for affordable healthcare or drugs to survive. None!

17. ROXRAN

Yes I said what I said keep it that way ... I pledge allegiance to the flag of United States of America and I'm sorry you feel offended for my statement
    Ps I never said anything about the mistakes of the past being acceptable-I don't know where you're getting that you seem a little angry right here and I think you need to settle down
    Also ps I'm joking on the last part - no disrespect- it's ok we think differently on issues

#17 ROXRAN, Mar 21, 2023
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

That pronoun you are responding to hates Texas and hates Chicken

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I agree America is great, but their are big issues we still need to address that the GOP ignores.. I must have misunderstood you thinking you meant the way Abbott and DeSantis are trying to make it. Sorry. I thought you were siding with their ignorance and lack of empathy for the millions needing help for some reason. I meant, not their version of America. Their version doesn't care about those in need or those who don't fit their mold.

20. tinman

Supporting Member