1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Alpy should win Most Improved Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrNuegebauer, Mar 13, 2024.

1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Add your arguments here as to why Alpy should win Most Improved Player (MIP)*

1. He started last year off the bench behind Bruno Fernando (!!)

2. He has increased offensive production by 6.3ppg and 1.1apg without any extra TOs per game

3. Defensively he has improved out of sight!

4. The Rockets have featured him as the Alpha this year, despite bringing in a max FA and still having last years alpha on the roster.

5. His "per 36" numbers show 5ppg more and 0.7apg more with 0.3 LESS TOs per game (!!). This is kind of huge for a guy jumping over 20ppg for the first time.

6. He has (currently) played more games than the current favourite (Maxey). Most likely case is that both players will finish in the mid 60s for games played (Maxey with a max possible of 4 more games than Alpy).

7. Maxey has not improved by as many PPG as Alpy, and has more TOs per game to go with his ppg increase (as opposed to Alpy's decrease per 36). Maxey was also already a 20ppg scorer last year.

8. Maxey is not Turkish. Therefore something.

*yes, I know there are extraordinarily insecure people who are SoFs - they will tell us he hasn't improved at all, it is just that coach has given him opportunity. Just let them rant while they continue to learn what basketball actually is.

Williamson and theDude like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Sengun has a strong case. Nice jump in stats and very nice jump in team wins. Surprised Maxey is the favorite. I thought Scottie Barnes and Coby White were two that I keep hearing on podcasts when the award has been discussed.

3. Salvy

Salvy Member

He also got more votes than Kawhi.....

BamBam likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

As a heads up, I don't think he can win the award unless he plays a couple more games.

OremLK, Streakshooter and daywalker02 like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

65 game minimum would seemingly disqualify him but I think he gets in under the 62 plus season ending injury rule.

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  6. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

One criteria for MIP should be team wins. Toronto won 41 games last year and only 23 this year. Now that Sengun has an injury and may not play another game this year I think Coby White should win it.

Maxy Pads efficiency has dropped compared to years past. That 25+ ppg won't fool anyone.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Being in serious consideration...

That Injury at an inopportune time.

BamBam likes this.
  8. PeppermintCandy

I did not know such an exception existed. Good to know.

I think the NBA would consider Sengun's severe ankle sprain as a season-ending injury, even if there is a slight chance he could return for the final game or two.

And Sengun should definitely be in the running for Most Improved Player. I thought Maxey was the hands-down winner this season, but without Embiid, his sheen has probably worn off a bit with some voters.

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the clarification Sam.

10. TimDuncanDonaut

Coby's hot shot making has come down the last month. Efficiency went down quite a bit; but playmaking still there. His breakout also didn't start until the middle of the season when Lavine got injured and was thrust into the starting rotation. Coby is their future now no debate there, but Alp had more good games this season.

Regarding Maxey, he's also their future, but after Harden left and Embid injured, him alone is not to carry that team. Some of their losses this past couple months has been pretty bad.

and yes with the 65 minimum, I don't think Sengun is in contention, even if he likely deserve it.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Read the thread. Not an issue.

Even GSW commentators are talking about Alpy as a chief contender

12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

To me the spirit of the award it should be White to win it. Young guys who are progressing year by year is pretty standard, so maxey or alpi would be lame winners.

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why does sengun not qualify as a young guy progressing year by year?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He’s exactly that, those are not interesting cases. Him and maxey are two young guys who really hit and improve year by year. White is a scrub who got good outa nowhere, that’s more the spirit of the award to me

harold bingo likes this.
  15. TimDuncanDonaut

Are you talking about the actual Most Improved Award that's given by the league, or the theoretical as in like fan chatter? If you're referring to the actual award, why would the 65 minimum game requirement not be an issue. Him coming back to play this season is very slim. He's played 63 games this season, so he's two games short to qualify.

#15 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Apparently there is a provision for players who have a season ending injury where they only need 62 to qualify.

This whole games played requirement is weird in my opinion. What about a guy who has a semi serious pre season injury and misses the first 21 games but then plays all of the final 61?

Easy and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Ok

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Reading this made me remember how awful Steve Silas was and how criminally underused Alpi was lat year. Thank god for Ime.

BamBam likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Because he improved most.

BamBam likes this.
  20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Because he's the only player being considered that actually "Lost His Mind" this season!!
    That should put him as the favorite to win the award!! What say YOU?? .... o_O

[​IMG]
    :eek:....:eek:....:eek:....:eek:....:eek:

Go Rockets!!!

AroundTheWorld likes this.