1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's your Favorite Oiler of All Time? Favorite Texan?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by land_sharks, May 21, 2003.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Haywood Jeffries -- In the red zone he was money with his long frame.

Gary Walker -- While he was a good Oiler, his play on the Texans has been inspirational for fans and teammates.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Brent Pease 6 comp 22 attempt 27.3 rating 4 int :)

Good times

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I kinda guessed that when you listed Cris Dishman. I used to cringe when they threw in his direction. He may be my least favorite Oiler of all-time.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

revisionist history. moon had a knack for throwing critical interceptions at critical times in critical games. not sometimes, but all the time. the only big loss i can remember moon being completely free and clear of blame was the '91 bronco game.

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Bucky Richardson ;)

David Carr - Texans
    Earl Campbell - Oilers

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

Ernest Givens

7. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

I really miss those guys, I can remember moments that will never die for each one.

Earl Cambell was the greatest Oiler of all time, Eugene Seale had the most heart and Ronnie Coleman made the greatest run..My favorite Oiler was Bum Phillips.

8. Band Geek Mobster

Bubba McDowell

He spoke softly and packed a punch when he locked his sights on someone.

If the Oilers had stuck around, I'm positive Blaine Bishop would have turned into my favorite player. I still remember his breakout game against San Francisco on Christmas Day. That was my all-time favorite season, I thought they were destined for the Super Bowl with the 46...

9. CrazyJoeDavola

I believe that was also the same exact day that the Rockets beat the Suns in Phoenix (that was the game where Horry had a dunk fest all by himself).

10. Hey Now!

actually, PHX kicked our ass that day; ironic how it all turned out, isn't it?

11. Summer Song Giver

Not to argue with the professional:)... but that was after Moon got us up by twenty... the D went into the prevent... the other team caught up or went ahead with seven yard dink passes and Moon was forced into making big plays against nickle and dime defenses. Don't tell me I don't remember, I just know where the blame actually lay. You're still the man Ric.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Anyone remember Oiler George Webster?

13. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

#90 ..he and Bob Brazile best olbs of the blue. Ever.

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

I used to love his electric slide dance after touchdowns.

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

I remember when Chris Dishman had that interception over Jerry Rice in the endzone. Steve Jackson (Klein Forest alum) got one over Jerry too.

Lorenzo White was another one of my favorite players too.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

Hands down, I think Givens had the best end zone dance in the hisotry of the NFL. The human body isn't supposed to that.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

if somebody can get footage of the electric slide at it's peak that would kick ass :)

18. Hey Now!

well, i'm a man... not sure if i'm the man, though... but thanks.

like i said, moon was free and clear in denver; he did everything you could ask of a QB, and for 59 glorious minutes, he flat outplayed john elway. (fwiw, i think losing childress to injury was the backbreaker that day.)

but even the buffalo debacle had moon's fingerprints all over it. part of the problem, no question, was the scheme, but the offense turned the second half into a 3-and-out fest, which allowed buffalo's mo to snowball. it's so easy (and mostly accurate) to point at the defense and special teams, but one sustained drive -- just one -- and they win that game. and who threw the interception in OT that led to the game-winning FG? moon, of course. story of his career.

i think moon deserves to go into the hall of fame -- he was a prolific passer and since it's the pro football hall of fame, his CFL numbers can't be discounted -- but i don't necessarily look back with fondness at his career; it left a lot to be desired with me.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

huh?? are you kidding?? you may not have liked him, but he was an EXCELLENT cover corner. he was a pro bowl player.

i liked him because he started out as the very cocky kid who made mistakes because of his brashness...but matured into an excellent cover corners.

my favorite players are usually cornerbacks in football and relief pitchers in baseball...guys who say, "yeah...just me...can you beat me?" guys who want the ball at the end of the game...guys who go out on an island to match up with the other teams' biggest threat. and then when those guys do it with a bit of edge.

dishman...dotel...wagner...glenn...

i love those guys!

20. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Dishman was disliked by many who disagreed with Jerry Glanvilles style of coaching..Until Glanville came along the Oilers were always a classy operation..when he drafted Dishman, it branded Cris as a enforcer of dirty play, trash talker,etc.
    Cris always did his job on the field and could change the direction of a game, he could create a turnover. He had to have been one of the NFLs greatest at stripping the ball from ballcarriers and recievers after the catch.