1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will end up being the bigger contributer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KelvinCato13, Mar 12, 2018.

?

Who will end up being the bigger signing?

Poll closed Mar 26, 2018.
  1. Joe Johnson

47.6%
  2. Josh Smith

52.4%
  1. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

I have to admit I was excited when it was announced that the Rockets were in talks to pick up J. Johnson following his buyout from the j*zz (typo I swear), similar to the excitement I felt back when we were able to claim J. Smoove following his release from the Pistons back in 2014. After watching the last 8 games, I think i'm over it. It's clear ISO JOE isn't the same player he once was (duh he's 36 now) but what's even more frustrating he doesn't look like the same player he was maybe a season or two ago (I guess there's a reason people get released).

The simple question I have for you all is who will end up being the bigger contributer to the Rockets ultimate goal of winning a championship? Is ISO JOE capable of having a similar performance as Josh Smith did in those series against the Mavs and Clippers or will MDA's stubbornness to play him and regulate G.Green and others to the bench come back to haunt us?

Regular season stats for both following being picked up by the Rockets:
    Joe Johnson (2018)
    GP: 8
    PTS: 6.6
    BLK: 0.0
    STL: 0.4
    AST: 1.4
    REB: 2.5
    FT: 100%
    FG: 41%
    3PT: 33%
    OFF RATING: 104
    DEF RATING: 111
    Minutes: 24

Josh Smith (2014)

GP: 55
    PTS: 12
    BLK: 1.2
    STL: 0.9
    AST: 2.6
    REB: 6.0
    FT: 52.1%
    FG: 43.8%
    3PT: 33%
    OFF RATING: 97
    DEF RATING: 102
    Minutes: 25.5

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did you know Josh Smith and Dwight Howard were AAU teammates?

Nook, gotsis, hieuytran and 17 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I voted for ISO Joe because he needs the support on here...I’m rooting for u Joe

James.B.H, jevjnd, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I really wish Smoove haven't died. He was misused his whole career as a SF when really he was a small ball 5. Think how affective Draymond is. That's exactly who JS was.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

We’ve grown to hate Joe Johnson part 2?

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I.D.I.O.T.

7. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

Moar positive vibes for ISO Joe

8. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

This.

One could only imagine how a competent coach such as MDA would have been able to utilize him to maximize his skill-set (even given his helper skelter 3pt shooting).

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Josh Smith carried us to the WCF. ISO Joe will not so the answer is clearly Josh Smith.

Pete the Cheat and Snow Villiers like this.
  10. KelvinCato13

KelvinCato13 Member

Only time will tell, ISO Joe carried the Jazz past the Clippers in last year's playoffs (ironic given Jsmoove's performance against them as well). All the more reason why his play thusfar has been so frustrating.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Old is old. Either we figure out how to play to his strengths like we did Nene a few years back or we don't.

Now is the time to do it. It's not like the team is 100% healthy and he's robbing a rook development minutes either.

People here are greedy for regular season wins. That's fine, but quit being amateur nostradamuses with the flimsy doom predictions.

If we do get killed, it won't be as easy as doing more than one thing over the other

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

carried? no.

its more like saved. JS was garbage up until game 6 of that series.

13. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

whichever way you want to look at it, iso joe will NOT contribute as much as j-smoove in the 2015 playoffs.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

dont really care if its more or less. if hes contributing and the rockets are winning thats all that matters. all these player agendas are meaningless

15. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

That game 6 has forever immortalized Josh Smith and Corey Brew.. Think about it without that performance their is a very good chance that those Clips could have taken out the first golden state warriors.. that was their best team, they could have also taken out the kyrie and kevin less cavs... making clips probably stay together another 3-4 years.. Josh Smiths biggest contribution could have been landing Cp3 3 years later :)

16. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

I think 8 games is enough data to understand that these minutes should belong to Ryno.. Jj should be at the very end of the rotation... He doesn't even have the lethal three point shot he once did... he does have nice passing skills but he doesn't demand the double team that he once did not so long ago

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It also gave McFail retirement money and foot in mouth opportunities to trash the Rockets.

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

that's the whole premise of this thread, lol.

19. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

he is shooting better then he was in Utah.. but 41% from the field and 33% from three doesn't justify minutes being taken from Ryno and even GG

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

thats why i didnt care to respond to it. only that you said JS carried the rockets which is false.