1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Should End Up Starting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T FOR 3!!!, Feb 24, 2019.

?

Who would you rather start

1. Eric Gordon

2. Danuel House

3. Kenneth Faried

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Let's say House is back soon (if not signed long-term then converted for the rest of the season).

Assuming you're starting:
    CP3
    Harden
    Gordon or House
    Tucker
    Capela

Or

CP3
    Harden
    Tucker
    Faried
    Capela

Gordon is the most proven, and least likely to fall off (Faried only if he can't hit 3s in the playoffs). House gives us a closer line-up to last year when we had so much success. Faried fixes our rebounding problems (our biggest weakness).

House was great! Faried has been just as great! Gordon can be the x-factor on any given night as well... We've won with all 3 starting at some point against the Warriors..

You're the coach, everyone is healthy and back... Who do you start?

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

House, Gordon is best off the bench and Faried's 3 point explosion may be small sample size theater.

bilaal14 and killahflip like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Harden needs to be benched. He still has a lot of learning to do.

yixiixiy, ramotadab, J Sizzle and 5 others like this.
  4. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Finna beat out Jamal Crawford for the 6MOY record

5. Denovo

Denovo Member

Either House or Faried but definitely not Gordon. His normal role as the primary scorer off the bench is where he belongs. Goto the 3 guard lineup if he’s hot but if not then no.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Serves Harden right. It's not like iso-heavy ball between Harden and Paul got us 1 game close to the NBA Finals last year. Too many members on here should be GM and/or coach due to the breadth of knowledge they have in regards to this peach basket sport.

Remlap, jcf and Swiss Roll like this.
  7. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I’ll just point out that Gordon has not recorded a vote yet, but I fully expect him to be the starter. Kinda what i thought my be the consensus.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Faried, unless or until his play drops off. The guy blows me away. It's not just how surprisingly effective he's been. Faried plays with a genuine sense of joy. You can tell that he's thrilled to be here and is having a ball, ballin'.

I don't think Morey's been given enough credit for getting him. Another rabbit out of the hat of the master.

9. YaoMingsSoulja

The Rockets seemed to have had a ton of chemistry when House was in the starting lineup. I'm not sure how it would be when he comes back. The problem with these d-league players is their inconsistencies. Can the guy give solid minutes every night to be starting in the NBA? How good is he gonna be in the playoffs? Not sure but people on this forum seem to think House is our savior but there hasn't been enough playing time for him to say that.

That being said I would like to see him in a Rockets uniform again. The dude was straight ballin in that starting lineup.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I like the big lineup against some teams. We always get bullied on rebounds playing so small.

Faried offers so much athleticism and length playing with Capela. Plus Tucker doesn't have to wear himself out constantly guarding 7 footers

11. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I'm offended Terrence Jones isn't on the list.

But more seriously, I think we should give the Faried/Capela matchup a chance, especially since Faried is hot from 3. If Faried can consistently spread the floor, the he's basically spreading the other team's buttcheeks for Harden and CP3 to penetrate, and he adds strong rebounding too.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

idk if Farieds shooting is sustainable and I think his energy is better served in the second unit... so i'd bring him in later and play him through hardens sit...

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

CP3
    Jim
    Tuck
    Faried
    Capela

Bench:
    Gordon
    Rivers
    Green-shump (sharing minutes)
    nene

Don't think house will be brought back

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Faried if his outside shooting is sustainable, so far looked way better than expected but i don't know, still a small sample. House or Shumpert (even if his shooting needs to be better than what we saw so far) would be ok too i guess. Gordon is better suited for coming off the bench imo, i think he's kinda wasted offensively when he starts next to James and Chris.

15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I like Morey's signing of Faried as much as the next guy but literally any team in our situation at the time of signing him would have taken a flyer. Morey didn't concoct some equation to think he'd play this well in our system. He saw an athletic guy who could maybe produce what Capela could, and nobody else on the market at the time fit the bill.

bmelo likes this.
  16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say House. Haven't seen enough of Faried at the 4 to be convinced he's a long term solution. I like Gordon coming off the bench as he gets more opportunities there.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think it will be

Capela
    Tucker
    Harden
    Shumpert
    Paul

This is the only starting line up that has a chance of catapulting us into a top 5-10 defense, and without being top 5-10 defense all the rebounding, mid range shooting, player reviving and health will be pointless. With Harden and Paul carrying the offense and Capela being a perfect compliment to them, that line up is going to be at least a top 5 offense no matter what.

What's going to happen is Harden and Paul are going to attack from the top, Capela sets the screen, while Tucker and Shumpert sit in the corners. For the season, Tucker is shooting over 40% from the corners and Shumpert over 36%. That's totally acceptable from your 4th and 5th offensive options who are arguably 2 of your top 3 defenders. Maybe House outplays Shumpert if he gets the chance, but I wouldn't count on House being as good a defender as Shumpert, while I think House is a slightly better rebounder - it's good to have the option/competition between the 2.

Faried, House, Gordon are going to make a tremendous bench unit led by Paul. So much firepower there. Faried's rebounding is not lost at all in this scenario, we just stagger his and Capela's rebounding the way we do Paul and Harden's playmaking. Makes sure our rebounding is consistent and it is absolutely key to have an amazing bench given a key weakness of the Warriors is their highly highly overrated bench. I think Livingston and Cousins can be heavily exploited, as well as the few g league guys they have supplementing the bench.

xaos likes this.
  18. Chamillionaire

We need to give Faried a shot. We know what Gordon does. He plays better when he starts, but we need more size and rebounding. Gordon will still get his minutes.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You can disagree and that's fine. It's a big part of the GARM, disagreeing with others, them disagreeing with you, and talking about it. Can you guess what's coming? I disagree! Morey managed to find a guy who had nearly disappeared the last couple of seasons, saw that he might fit as a backup 5 and perhaps fit at the 4 on occasion, and filled a big hole in the lineup with Capela out. That's my guess, and I could be selling Daryl a bit short.

Perhaps he saw more potential than most of us did at the time of the signing. In any event, he deserves credit for nabbing a guy who fits our system, at least so far, almost perfectly, in my opinion. I've said myself that Faried's weakness is defense in the post and was concerned that the opposition would continue their parade down the lane to score with Capela out. Turns out that, so far, whatever defensive weaknesses Faried has are more that compensated for by all the other things he does.

As much criticism that Morey gets from some quarters here, the fellow deserves credit for the good moves he makes, which have been numerous. I'll add that who else was beating down the door to get Faried? There could have been a team or two, but I haven't heard of any. Maybe I missed it. Manimal played 118 minutes total in 12 games with Brooklyn. That's it for the season before coming to Houston. The season before? His last with Denver? 461 in 32 games. Here? He's played 413 minutes in 14 games with us. No wonder he keeps that grin on his face.

20. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

After the GSW game, Harden for 6th man!!!!!! ;)