1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who says the Dems are united again? Only leftists, that's who.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IROC it, Sep 17, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Glad you guys are so solidified... :cool:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gu2bf-i7LCP2tomJRWh6aRDSsK5wD938L0U00

Clinton fundraiser backs McCain over Obama

By ANN SANNER – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — A top Hillary Rodham Clinton fundraiser threw her support behind Republican John McCain on Wednesday, saying he will lead the country in a centrist fashion and accusing the Democrats of becoming too extreme.

"I believe that Barack Obama, with MoveOn.org and Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean, has taken the Democratic Party — and they will continue to — too far to the left," Lynn Forester de Rothschild said. "I'm not comfortable there."

Rothschild is also a member of the Democratic National Committee's Platform Committee. She said she would be stepping down from her position on the committee but will not switch political parties.

She praised McCain for working with Democrats to pass legislation and for standing up to President Bush on the Iraq war.

"I just ask, who has Barack Obama ever stood up to? And that troubles me a lot," she said.

Rothschild also disputed Obama's argument that a McCain administration would be an extension of Bush's presidency. Democrats cite McCain's own account of having voted in support of Bush's policies 90 percent of the time.

She said the Arizona senator has broken with Bush to support funding for stem-cell research and to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

"It is the classic cheap shot. Just not true," she said.

Rothschild said she was also excited by the prospect of a woman being in the White House, even though she and Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin disagree on issues. The Alaska governor opposes abortion except in the case of a threat to the mother's life. Rothschild said she supports abortion rights.

"I believe that the McCain-Palin government will be a centrist government
    ," Rothschild said. "It's not going to be an ideological government."

Rothschild is a member of the DNC's Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York. She was one of Clinton's top fundraisers, bringing in more than $100,000 for her presidential campaign. She built a multimillion-dollar telecommunications company before marrying international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild.

Rothschild said she has not discussed her support for McCain with Clinton.

"I'm sure she is not pleased with what I'm doing today," she said. "But you know what? I have to do what I believe in."

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i love these clinton backers who say she's centrist conservative.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

ClutchFans D&D: Making statistical outliers into primary examples since God knows when

4. IROC it

Obama/Biden----------------------Hil---|---McCain/Palin--------------------Rushbo

She's way closer to centrist than your pick.

When you're close enough to the other side, you can still reach accross the aisle.

Read the records.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

hillaryous, the same lady who's been villified since 1992 is now the uniter, hillaryous

6. IROC it

Not that she's the uniter in the Democratic party though, eh?

The divider named Obama overrides her authority... it's clear.

Flip a coin, Clinton or McCain do an equal job. That same coin flip is not possible when you compare Obama and McCain.

This is part of why Hil's campaigning has done half of the work for McCain all along.

Clinton and McCain have proven much closer than many would like to admit for a very long time. It's just the reality of it all.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think leftists say the party is united either. They seem to want to find some pride in their disunity and chide republicans for sacrificing their personal beliefs for the good of the party.

And, why do you mention it anyway. Tactically, it's a worthy footnote with her being a fundraiser. But, in governance, is the Democratic party less desirable because of this?

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes, the same hillary that helped create the republican newt revolution in 94 is the great across the aisle reacher. you're the one doing the reaching brother

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

iroc before you respond with more rhetoric, name three things that obama and hillary are substantially different on.

health care
    iraq
    nafta

anything

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Who says the right is united? Only rightists.

McCain is not a true conservative anymore. Palin is crazy. Hell, you guys had Liberman at the RNC. The middle is growing and getting pushed to the side, they don't like it, so both sides perpetuate the myth of a united front. Why? So people from the middle identify with a side.

11. IROC it

For one, she believes McCain has the experience required, and that Obama has a speech in '02. ;)

On health care, they differ in their plans and ways to achieve it.

On Iraq, she has never voted to not fund troops while on the ground, she also voted for the provision to send troops in the first place (Oh, that's right, Obama was not in the US Senate when that decision was made, so sorry).

On nafta, the record is more similar.

The point is this... she has indicated John can do the job, along with her, and both have mutual respect for one another, and the value of making friends in the other party.

Obama cannot make himself stay on a committee and stick by what it concludes without pulling away and making a "stand" that has always proven to be on the wrong side in the long run.

Now...

Conversely...

I'd like you to answer those same 3 issues.

12. cdastros

cdastros Member

She comes across as someone who would sell her soul, to get a women in the white house.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

in other words, it has nothing to do with actual policies, I guess I should be used to this from you guys.

on healthcare, hillary and obama are way more in agreement than hillary/mccain, on iraq, hillary/obama way more in agreement than hillary/mccain (timetable)

but keep quoting rhetoric from her campain speeches undermining her democratic foe for the national election while calling her a democratic uniter

CHOKE ON THAT IRONY, ITS DELICIOUS

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Anybody who votes for the ticket because of a characteristic is an idiot.

15. IROC it

You mean the one Obama is seeking to delay, that Bush is in current talks to establish?

Indeed.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Interesting that the article left off this quote from Lady Lynn Forester de Rothschild, who divides her time between New York and London:
    [​IMG]

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Elitist is a state of mind.

Kind of like people from Dallas.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Speaking of feelings.

I don't feel like John McCain and Sarah Palin are lying, corrupt, hypocrites. I know they are.

19. surrender

surrender Member

A Rothschild is calling someone else elitist?

HAR HAR

20. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

LMAO

give the libs hell 'Rockin IROC !!!

I love to see the left go down in flames

I heard that another Hillary backer, Elizabeth Margaret Montgomery-Rockefeller (she was a big Clinton donor and is the wife of Lord Charles Wellington Rockefeller III of Scotland!!!) will be holding a conference to discuss obama's elitism next week - I will post the link if I can find it !

Big Daddy TJ - can you find it?