1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is your choice with the #1 pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Major, Jan 2, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 pick?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2014.
  1. Take a QB (no preference which one)

3.2%
  2. Take Bridgewater

45.6%
  3. Take Manziel

17.3%
  4. Take Bortles

1.5%
  5. Take another specific QB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Take Clowney/Barr/Matthews, Find QB in Round #2 or elsewhere

14.6%
  7. Trade down and pick best available QB later in first round

17.3%
  8. Other (please specify)

0.6%
  1. Major

Major Member

Think this would be fun to look back at in a few years after we see how all the players and the Texans turn out. I'm going to list the following options in the poll:

* Take a QB at #1 - no preference which one (total deferral to the Texans staff)

* Take Bridgewater

* Take Manziel

* Take Bortles

* Take another QB at #1

* Take Clowney/Barr/Matthews/etc and pick QB in round #2

* Trade down and take best-available QB further down in the first round

* Other (not sure what this would include)

2. Major

Major Member

My vote is for Bridgewater, but I'm not an expert on QB evaluation, so I'm OK with whoever BOB takes - as long as it's a QB. I think that's the critical part.

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Nice try Rick Smith

2 people like this.
  4. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Right now it will be Bridgewater for me, with Clowney a close second. But its still early and I'd like to have the same poll posted a couple of days before the draft.
    After the combine, interviews, and once we know more about each player.

5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Take Bridgewater and don't look back. No draft pick is a sure thing but he has the most potential to be a franchise qb is this class. People complain he's not Andrew Luck, but prospects like that come around maybe once a decade.

6. basketballholic

Where is the option that says, "Trust O'Brien to evaluate and make the right call on what we do at the top of the draft"?

That's my choice. I trust that O'Brien is going to weigh heavily on what we do at the top of this draft board. I trust that Smith is going to get O'Brien what O'Brien wants for this football team this first year. If they were willing to do that with Kubiak and Kubiak came up with Mario in his first draft then they for sure should do that with O'Brien and O'Brien will interview all the QBs and the other positional choices and evaluate the current roster and come up with the right call.

7. Major

Major Member

Absolutely - I scheduled this poll to close in 30 days because it's an "early look". I think a look right before the draft would be good as well - more information, and we could see how our views have changed.

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Mark me down for Bill & Ted's Texans Adventure.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Major

Major Member

I think that's basically a "I have no opinion or preference", which I guess would go under Other or doesn't really require a vote. It's a fair position to take, certainly.

10. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Trade down with Cleveland and get the 4th and whatever first round pick Indy has.

Draft Clowney w/ 4th pick
    CJ Mosely with Indy Pick
    AJ McCarron with 1st pick 2nd round.

Am I biased? Yes. Based on what BOB has said what he looks for in a QB the more convinced I am that AJ is his man.

11. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Doubt Clowney makes it to 4th pick. Probably be the second player off the board.

12. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Teddy bridge water!!!!

13. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Browns/Jacksonville - Bridgewater/Manziel
    Rams - Matthews

It's very likely he'll be there.

14. Anticope

Anticope Member

I'd take Bridgewater for a variety of reasons. He seems to have an intelligence and an understanding of the game that can't be taught, and his decision making and ability to audible/call plays from the line of scrimmage seem to be ahead of any of the other QBs in this draft class. He also has had the advantage of being able to play in a pro-style offense at Louisville. I think that this team still has an overall talent level that can vault them back into playoff contention immediately and that he gives us the best chance to be playoff contenders again from day one.

He's been talked about as the #1 overall pick (along with Clowney) for this draft class for the past year and hasn't seen his stock slide at all and playing against weaker competition shouldn't be a concern given that many QBs have been able to succeed in the NFL despite playing in weaker conferences.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I voted Bridgewater, but I wish they would take JFF just to see what happens.

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm drinking the Bridgewater.

Ok that was bad.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm thinking it will be Bridgewater as well with the way O'Brien stressed football IQ in the coaching conference. But Manziel in Houston would be crazy and very interesting.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If O'Brien comes in and looks at film from what has happened so far this year, he'll notice that there is something wrong with the line, and the running game has not been there like it has in the past few years.

He will take a defensive player in Clowney and give JJ Watt help, then find an offensive lineman through a trade or free-agent signing, and get a quarterback like we've been doing forever in the later rounds. Quarterback wasn't the entire problem.

If O'Brien can see what Brady could do with his arsenal of receivers, he will keep Schaub and guide him to become a better player than he was in 2013, otherwise, his decision will be to take chances with Manziel or Bridgewater.

I don't think Bridgewater is "the savior." He doesn't look like an Andrew Luck or a Russel Wilson, nor an RGIII. :eek:

19. Raven

Raven Member

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

There is no way Schaub is sticking around for another year.