1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Morey's fallback star acquisition?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jun 28, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

We've been hearing for a while now that Darnell Marley is gunning hard for Jimmy Buckets, and more of the reports from the last week have focused on him trying to trade assets to facilitate a Butler trade.

But what if Jimmy signs a new contract with the Sixers or opts out?

Who do you guys think Darrell Mary has on the back burner in case his big prize goes elsewhere?

robgue, Ramo$e and ak99999 like this.
  2. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

[​IMG]

BigShasta, robgue, Ramo$e and 7 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

he'll go after any other "star" that remains undecided if he realizes JB is out of the picture for sure. by the time that happens most of the elite FA's will have made decisions themselves.

he'll then be forced to acquire the jaymychal green, ariza, green, rudy gay types to help improve the lineup and depth.

MC31B, napalm06 and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Probably Love although i'm against moving Clint and Eric for him.

Other big names i don't know, as today only Cousins might be available, maybe Beal, but we won't be able to get him i think, he's probably the plan B for all the teams who are going to strikeout in free agency like the NY teams, Clippers, maybe even the Celtics, Memphis pick, Brown and other pieces might be an interesting package, if they can put together:

Capela
    ?
    Tatum
    Beal
    Walker

That's a pretty solid and young core.

5. xaos

xaos Member

I would say a top player entering 2020 free agency that is likely not resigning with their current team, but that list looks weak. Probably a Jaylen Brown type player?

I'm leaving out the minor upgrade moves like J. Green or Dedmon types

6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Khris Middleton would be a great fit for this team, IMO. But I'm hearing he wants a max..

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Probably Brogdon.

RocketTheory likes this.
  8. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Darrell has no plan aside from Tomball Jimmy... we've all watched this play out enough times...

Darrell swings for the bleachers... Other Grade A/B talent goes elsewhere during our pursuit... Top target falls through... and DM scrambles trying to find a deal on who is still available...rinse... repeat...

Ramo$e, BasketMAD, fattz and 3 others like this.
  9. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

To be fair, there isn’t much else he can go for at the moment outside of Jimmy.

10. kjayp

maybe... point being DM always goes starchasing instead of focusing on realistic mid level guys that could fill our needs...
    DM was always great at finding diamonds in the rough - PBev, CC, etc... but for the last few years its all been about star power... For example, I think CP3s 40M could be better spent split among a couple up n comers...

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

why would you go for mid level guys first when elite players are more important. that's an odd way of going about things when building a team. the last couple years have been all about star power because you need them to win o_O lol

12. kjayp

its a matter of investment vs return... so often Murray goes starchasing and gets zero return vs midlevel guys that could improve the roster are snatched up in the interim...

Plus everybody on here keeps telling me that we've been the 2nd best team - but were up against 'one of the greatest teams ever assembled...' Well GSW is falling... why are we reshuffling and taking a risk on Tomball Jimmy chemistry if we've been so great?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

because other teams are trying to get better, so doesn't that mean houston should too. i thought the name of the game is to try and get better no matter what. he obviously has a butler interest so why shouldn't he go for it. boy would this board flip if morey made no effort in getting him. now that he is, we really have people complaining??? o_O

14. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I agree that this won’t be the first time that Morey may miss out and we could be left with marginal upgrades at best, but this is a stars league and if the opportunity rises then you have to seize it.

15. JW86

JW86 Member

I’d trade Gordon and Capela for a 1st rounder, then go for JaMychal Green, Brook Lopez, Aminu, Danny Green and JJ Redick with that cap space.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Unfortunately it is not just Maori, Tilman is as star struck as is Morey.

kjayp likes this.
  17. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Luxury Tax Savings will be suiting up.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm also thinking it might be Love, since nobody else seems to be after him.

Sure, huge contract: 4 more years at around $30M/yr. But with the Lakers freeing up another max slot, it's hard to see Morey standing pat, star-player-wise. He's got to be thinking that this year is our best shot in the foreseeable future.

In 3-4 years, we'd either have won a trophy or two, or Morey would be telling his wife to start packing.

19. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

It's Jimmy or bust. Once upon a time last month a report said Morey would "move heaven and earth" to acquire Kawhi Leonard, but the silence on that front since while hearing Lakers, Clippers, Raptors, maybe Mavs leads to assumption that Morey kicked that can and found no interest. Have never heard Rockets and Durant linked in rumors this off season. Kemba and Kyrie are not positions of need. Klay will be a Warrior or a Laker. And after that the free agent talent drops off quite significantly so you reach the point where you have to ask if getting a Horford or Cousins if worth moving Capela's contract?

MC31B likes this.
  20. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member