1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who goes and who stays?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBad, Apr 3, 2001.

1. University Blue

Jackson reminds me of Smith, too.

[Pause]

[ [​IMG]]

Both are -very- raw offensively, lack lateral quick-ness, do not have good footwork.

Smith, un-like Jackson, was a defensive presence.

University (Mr. Mean What You Say) Blue

------------------
    "You drift into the strangest dreams. Of youthful follies and changing teams. Admit you're wrong, oh, no, not yet. Then you wake up and remember that you can't forget."

Forever PSB

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

2 things:

1)I'm pretty sure the Rockets will bring Moochie back, but it's going to be more than $1 mil...more like $2.5-4 mil. If we have an exception, maybe we could use it on him.

2) Some posters have been mentioning Marc Jackson and rebounding in the same sentence...he is not a rebounder, or a shotblocker. He is almost all offense. Not quite what the Rockets need. I'd rather have a Dale Davis or someone like that than Jackson.

------------------

3. Nadir

Nadir Member

BULLARD! BULLARD! BULLARD! BULLARD!

I would resign Bull just so no other teams could get their slimy little hands on him. First of all he's easily the best damn athlete to play the sport...ever, and secondly he's done so much in Houston as far as getting gangs to settle with words instead of fists.

Yea, Bull is definitely in for at least $30M. Thanks Matt....for everything

------------------
    Rockets Rule

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Excuse me for wanting a good team next year [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Matt Bullard -- Keep. He'll be cap-friendly. I bet he'll retire a Rocket (if he's not a cap throw-in on some trade).

Sean Colson -- Gone. He was insurance; that's all.

Dan Langhi -- Keep. I thought I read somewhere they were keeping a spot open for him.

Moochie Norris -- Keep. He's obviously staying.

Hakeem Olajuwon -- Keep, if we can. It sounds to me like prospects are good to keep Olajuwon and still do all the FA things we want.

Maurice Taylor -- I'd rather not keep him. I like him now. He seems like a good guy and all. His outside touch fits the system. But I really wish he could rebound. In the likely event that we don't get Webber, I think we'll sign him though. I'll just be looking to see if it's the right price.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

6. paul

paul Member

This team will not win anything with Shandon Anderson playing major starters' minutes at the 2, IMHO. If he is OK playing the role he did in Utah, OK...if he wants to be a big bucks starter, the Rockets can do better with their money. Defense and intangibles only get you so far...

------------------
    "Considering Mobley for His First Son's Name"

7. TraJ

TraJ Member

I wish Bullard would use his real name when posting on this site. [​IMG]

------------------
    The sky is falling!

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Wow, Newbie's telling you how to post Lil'.

His propisition, while unlikely, is possible.

Webber for 10(million), jackson for 3. And then sign all draft picks for 1.

We could even work a sign and trade for webber or jackson.

Personally, I think everyone should expect something like this.

C-Cato/Woods
    PF-Taylor/Thomas/Collier
    SF-Morris/Wiz
    SG-Anderson/Mobley/draft pick
    PG-Francis/mooch

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

9. Band Geek Mobster

We should expect to get Loren Woods?

------------------

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

vj23k-As you stated it, I suppose it's possible, but not at all plausible.

Golden State could match anything up to ~4.5 mill. So, he signs an offer sheet for 3 mill, and Golden State matches, plain and simple. To get Webber and Jackson what we'd need to do is: Trade Walt/Cato away for empty space (Bulls and/or Clippers?) or guys with team options to decline (Brad Miller). It's easier if you deal both, but it'll work if you send one. You then also have to get rid of all your picks.

You don't get a choice on how much to sign your draft picks, there's a set <a href="http://www.members.home.net/lmcoon/scale.htm">scale</a>. So, if we get picks 12, 22, and 24, we'll owe 2.6541 in draft picks alone.

Webber signing for less than the max I still feel is unlikely. Webber's max is likely to be 12.6 million, not 10.
    --------
    Here's how my offseason goes, I feel Webber is out of our reach.
    Let's assume we have 10 mill of cap going into the offseason, counting Shandon unrenounced.
    1.) Via draft, #12-Loren Woods (hope), #22-Terrence Morris, #24-uhh...let's wait, draft a project big man, or maybe pick a foreigner who won't play this year. (Could Ming fall like Tsakalidis did?) (cap space=1.35 mill)
    Reasons: Woods has talent, and a season under Dream would do wonders. Morris could show his talents back with Francis, and do what you want with #24.

2.) Resign Mo Taylor ~5-7 mill (cap space=4 mill). Reason: Makes sense for team.

3.) Trade Walt/Cato to Chicago for a 2nd round pick and Brad Miller (team option, and release them of their obligation of a pick to us. (Cap space~12.35 mill)
    Reason: This is the toughest one. Would Chicago do it? With the impending zone, Cato would be attractive, especially reunited with his old college coach. Walt is veteran help who can shoot the 3, which is something they need at SF, and would be in his last contract year. They're not fairing well in free agency, and would be getting decent talent, and a freed pick for basically nothing.

4. Sign Antonio Davis at 8 mill.
    Reason: Defensive big man, if not Davis, check out Denver for Lafrentz see if taking one of their bad contracts with that space in exchange for KT and/or that pick.

5. Sign Hakeem Olajuwon at 4.35 mill
    Reason: Has show he still has some left.

6. Early Bird Shandon
    7. Early Bird Moochie
    Reason: Kinda obvious.

Francis/Moochie
    Mobley/[Anderson]
    Anderson/Langhi/Morris
    Mo Taylor/[Davis]/[Rogers and KT?]
    Olajuwon/[Davis]/Loren Woods/Collier

Note: Davis could start over Taylor or Hakeem.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited April 05, 2001).]

11. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Good Post, Nikestrad

Hopefully at least one good big man will fall into our laps at 12(or 13).

But will Shan resign?

He had a pretty good game tonight, but his season has been somewhat dissapointing to all.

If we could pick Davis up that would be excellent.

Our kind of big man, Rebounds, Scores, and plays excellent "D"

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

No, Bullard is a priority. Think about it. Who will play the point in game 7 of the finals? Who will lead the Rockets to a fantastic comeback in the fourth? Who's going to steal the inbounds and jack up a trey? Letting Bullard retire would be like trading Michael Jordan. You just don't do that.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Im not so sold on Morris anymore. I think we should take Jefferson with the 13th.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.