1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who does Morey want as Coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 30, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I believe you are talking about Chris Finch

saleem and OldYelllowDog like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If I remember correctly he was an Adelman protégé ? (Princeton offense).

That's far from what MDA does ….

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Hopefully Chauncey Billups

ChumpCity likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure the push for Finch to become lead assistant was the reason Adelman resigned. Never heard that he was a protege. Maybe he learned some about the Princeton offense.

5. SemisolidSnake

The System is the coach, and we already have it. Morey just needs a new enforcer.

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

wow, didn't realize that. has he made public statements to that effect? i take your word for it. That's really disappointing.

Hell, i'm not a huge fan of our style either. but it's still a helluva team to coach.

8. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I believe he originally wanted Budenholzer over D'Antoni, so I think another Popovich disciple that's willing to embrace Morey-ball analytics would be the ideal fit.

Better question might be who Tillman prefers instead. Last time Morey didn't get his pick for head coach after McHale was fired. It'll be interesting to see if Tillman lets Morey get his pick or if Morey will ultimately have to concede the final say to the owner again.

I do wonder if Morey's analytics are also working on the ideal defense to counter the growing trend of 3s and layups he helped create. If so, I do wonder if there is a particular head coach he has in mind that is a defensive coaching savant.

D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Morey has never been able to pick his own head coach.

Les asked Morey and his associates for a list of candidates and Les picked who he liked ultimately. Morey has pushed for Coach Bud in the past. Les liked MDA... Morey discussed Silas/Hollins as a combo... Les choose MDA because Les preferred the style of play.

Morey in the past has said the ideal candidate is a younger coach that shares a similar philosophy as the front office and has a natural talent to adapt. He discussed Carlisle and Stevens as being two coaches that the Rockets have had interest in the past but the timing was off.

lilbird20 and Deuce like this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hollins has been saying all the right things on the radio when I hear him get interviewed. He says he's learned some lessons from his past and can also function in a modern NBA where everybody's starting to jack 3's. I honestly think he's saying it to get back into the NBA.

With that being said, I agree with you -- I don't think he'd do well on this team. And not only because of the style of offense. Hollins has had problems getting along with people up and down organizations from what I've heard. When he gets frustrated with the play of his team, it's like he turns into an enemy of the team or something. I've read the Nets damn-near threw a party when he got canned, they were so tired of dealing with him.

daywalker02 and mikol13 like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He was on xm nba radio one Saturday morning. I never listen to it on the weekends but randomly was and he spent about 10 minutes talking about how it won’t work, why it won’t work, etc. it was actually pretty well thought out. Stuff like having guys in the corner all the time not moving meaning they’re less able to help and get back on long rebounds or turnovers. It wasn’t hating as much as just analysis. My feel from it was he was definitely not a fan.

12. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

threw up in my mouth

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

For anyone interested, I found this in a post from a few years ago, right before the Rockets selected D'Antoni for coach. These are the candidates at that point who had either been interviewed or were going to be interviewed for the Rockets' head coaching position :

J.B. Bickerstaff
    Kenny Smith
    Sam Cassell
    David Blatt
    Jeff Hornacek
    Chris Finch
    Stephen Silas
    Mike D'Antoni
    Rex Kalamain
    Jeff Bzdelik
    James Borrego (scheduled)
    Adrian Griffin (scheduled)

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. junk151

junk151 Member

Can you imagine Jeff Hornacek as the Rockets HC? :eek::eek::eek:

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Bring in Shane Battier, a true Rocket that actually bled Rocket red. Plus, if we are ever in a bind, he can suit up and play backup 3.

17. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

And he is NOT good in TV either - has some incoherent thinking

18. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Morey should bust a Pop and come down and coach himself. Coaching experience be damned.

cheke64 likes this.
  19. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Hear me out. But I’d love to see Brent Barry as coach.

Smart basketball player who played 15 years. And well respected by all accounts.

Been around the NBA since he was a kid thanks to his HOF dad.

Won multiple championships under one of the greatest coaches of all time. (Popovich).

Currently working in the front office for the Spurs.

If that’s not a Steve Kerr path, I don’t know what is. A head coach is basically an ego manager anyways. Surround him with some X’s and O’s Guys.

20. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

Are you Air Bull?

BamBam likes this.