1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you think is the most overrated player in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Spooner, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Spooner

Spooner Member

People debate who the greatest player is every year but the choices are always kind of a given, made easier with MVP voting and obvious greatness of certain players. This debate has become somewhat boring to me with the choices right in front of us. I'm curious to know who the most overrated player is in peoples eyes.

I'll go first.

Jayson Tatum hands down. Leading the entire league in field goal attempts. 25ppg on a whopping 22 field goal attempts per game. (#1 in the entire league) We were told he is a superstar, instead he is leading the Celtics to the lottery. It doesn't matter that he is leading the league in scoring, that is atrocious and it wasn't all that much better in the past. Reminds me of when people said Brandon Jennings was an allstar because he was scoring a crazy amount on 30% shooting. Obviously he's not nearly as bad as Jennings. Tatum is in a different stratosphere overall. Gentlemen swept in the playoffs last year after ending the year at .500 and would be lucky to make playoffs this year with a team that isn't a superteam but also doesn't lack pieces and talent. Seems like your average high usage chucker. Not great for a guy who's greatest asset is scoring. His defensive rating would indicate the Celtics are slightly better when he is not on the court. Tatum's 109DRtg to the team's overall 107DRtg.

When you factor defense into this equation -

Jayson Tatum 25ppg on 22 attempts this year. 26 ppg on 20 attempts last year.
    Jerami Grant 20ppg on 16 attempts this year. 22ppg on 17 attempts last year.

So who's the better player?

All of the people blaming the Celtics being a disaster on a lack of talent in Boston might want to hold their highest usage player accountable for once. Having said all this, he still is a good player offering great rebounding, assists and scoring for a 6'8 forward despite the maddening volume. We all saw what Harden did at Tatum's age with Omer Asik and Jeremy Lin and how Luka took the stacked Clippers to 7 literally by himself which should put a pin in the "he's young and doesn't have help" argument I hear ad nauseam from the media and celtics fan's alike. I have faith in way more young up and coming players and he is not in the same league as the older superstar types. And to those saying he doesn't have help, (which he obviously does) what would happen if he was put on a super team and had his attempts and usage reduced in half like a normal NBA player? What kind of role would he play? What would his stats look like? Could he get it done as a second option? Is he worth the money as a third option at that point? I might be foolish but it would be a hard pass from me. Maybe his percentages go up because he is a very talented scorer and would have better looks but I'd wager he wouldn't be remotely as good as any star on any superteam in the last 2 decades. And its not like any star is begging to go to Boston to play with him, if anything stars have left him for other stars.

Curious to hear who other people think is the most overrated player in the NBA. Although this can be interpreted as a "hate thread", its done solely with the intention of having a new more interesting debate so please keep it civil toward these players. They are human beings at the end of the day.

#1 Spooner, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of all people.

How many years was Jerami Grant the first option, wasn't he on the same team as PG13 and WB?

If he only could average over 20ppg on a contender.......for a 6'8 dude he rebounds like a guard.

I would scroll down the list of overpaid players who are average, decent or slightly good.

#2 daywalker02, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    Spooner likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I'll raise you - Half of that Draft Class.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  5. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Overrated:
    Eric Bledsoe
    Russell Westbrook
    Carmelo Anthony
    Anthony Davis
    Kyrie Irving

More interesting list may be who is underrated:
    Jrue Holiday
    Alex Caruso
    Marcus Smart
    Ball brothers
    DeMar Derozan
    Eric Gordon
    Terry Rozier
    Gordon Hayward

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

2021 Draft? Yeah, it is kind of looking that way.... "historically deep draft?" We'll be lucky if half of the top 10 picks aren't busts. Even the top ROY contenders aren't exactly LeBron-Duncan-Jordan-Shaq level rookies.

8. Spooner

Spooner Member

I highly doubt he could average 20ppg as a third option. I’m not sold Tatum would either as crazy as that sounds. I like Grants defense better for a contender although Tatum is a much better playmaker/better overall game IMO. As a third option I’d go Grant because he’d have more of a defined role but only at a much lower salary than Tatum. Crazy to even be saying that. Tatum obviously higher upside

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tatum is 4 years younger, can volume score, has more moves in his arsenal, of course he is earning much more.

Yeah sure, he is not a superstar yet but he already played in the EC Finals.

With Tatum, the next step would be to lead his team to a Top 3 seed every year.

The next step for Jerami Grant would be to earn 25 million a year.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

steven karie. he only knows how to shoot and look pretty

DreamR and daywalker02 like this.
  12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

LeBron James.

Jontro and VoR like this.
  13. Spooner

Spooner Member

My most underrated player
    Dejounte Murray hands down
    Alperen Sengun somewhere on that list ;)

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

AD trying to meet Shaq's penis.

Sanctity likes this.
  15. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Zion even before he became the Michelin man

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I've had Dejounte on my fantasy each of the past 3 seasons, waiting for him to blow up because I could feel it was right around the corner.

Missed out on him this year and it makes me sick to my stomach watching him finally do what I thought was coming.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

18. MystikArkitect

Anthony Davis made Top 75 players of all time. That's a thing that happened.

beardsanity713, lnchan, xaos and 5 others like this.
  19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

LeBron. He's always been, but it's been disgusting since he became a Laker. It's like the last few seasons of Kobe level of overrated.

20. Spooner

Spooner Member

I reached for him this year and was ridiculed lol. Dudes probably a 1st rounder next year. He’s so underrated it’s comical.