1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you keep, Brooks or Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Apr 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait a minute. You all are arguing with a guy who believes Aaron Brooks is an elite PG, when in fact he is really an elite undersized SG. Aaron can not lead the starters efficiently. It was obvious when the bench had to keep coming in to save the starters. Lowry is a lead type point who can actually defend. Lowry has better vision, not tunnelvision. DD, you have to get over the scoring aspect and take a look at everything else. Aaron has been in the league 3 yrs. and really has shown no improvement. On the other hand, since i know you are going to say" Well he has only started half of that time", like you said Kyle has only started 21 games in his career, but each year he has shown improvement. You can definitely say he has improved since he was drafted. Now, what i mean by not showing improvement is, Aaron, after 3 seasons, is still making rookie mistakes. He has only improved his scoring, nothing else. He is turnover prone ecspecially in the clutch. He is just not capable of running point. His value is good enough so that we may be able to use him in a package deal for Bosh.

2. Hball

Hball Member

Brooks has become a legit go-to at the end of games which will be important when yao is fronted, so I'd keep him over martin.

3. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Lowry cannot shoot.... end of story. Until he can he should not be starting. Lowry makes rookie mistakes as well (i.e. taking a 3 with 20 seconds left on the shot clock).

Go watch the Rockets when we had rafer.... Lowry is better in maybe one category, drawing fouls... which is not good at the end of the game...

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=163019&page=1&pp=20&highlight=Rafer+Kyle+Lowry
    Are you calling 75% of Clutchfans stupid?
    Is this what you do when you get something right?
    Some pretty decent opinions/posters didn't like the deal at the time.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A very small sample of Langhi love from DD. Some more at the bottom, Very fun read. :grin: "I have seen enough, Langhi will be a star in the NBA"
    Reasonable poster's reply to Langhi love...
    Now a Clutchfans classic...
    On Dan Langhi being a stick...
    This reply came a few months after the Langhi love...
    Oh, And I came across this gem!

"Intelligent fans"?

#85 RudyTBag, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
    2 people like this.
  6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Martin, even though he is a great scorer, his game is ugly and I just don't enjoy watching him play. I cringe every time he fires off a hipshot. I flip the channel during the delays setting up foul shots.

Brooks is huge fun to watch.

Basketball is entertainment, aesthetics count if the number of wins stays the same.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would say that in that poll 75% of the people made a stupid choice, yes.

As for Langhi, yep, I liked him....thought he would replace Walt Williams who was in serious decline.

It happens.....

Maybe Langhi was the exception that proves the rule....

;)

DD

8. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I started the thread with a simple appreciation for the IQ of the folks on this board and didn't think everything needed to be completely spelled out. It is a "which one" question because it is highly unlikely both Martin and Brooks will be leaving. The greater chance is that they both stay. BUT, with Morey's recent comments it does open the door for one to be moved IF they don't pick up the defensive effort. That being said the question still is which one do you keep? Obviously you have a crush on Brooks so we know who you will keep.

I said I'd keep Martin. I feel like we could get a much better player by moving him and one of our sf's than Martin alone would yield. I feel like with Luis', Martins, and Yao's ability to score with Lowry's ability to create for others it would be easier to find a replacement for Brooks than Martin.

9. DaDakota

But the thread is from a noted Lowry should start guy, so it is disengenous to say the least.

DD

10. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Lowry is not the player that Brooks is, that's not my point at all. I think it would be easier to replace what Brooks can bring to this team than find a replacement for Martin. Brooks is an elite scoring pg, but he's not elite in any other area for a pg, he's just average (defense, passing, rebounding). Martin is an elite scorer and average at the rest as well. If you can find me a sg that we can get that is better than Martin, I'm fine with that. But I'm assuming we can't upgrade the positions of sg or pg and do what I said from the beginning I would do and that is to upgrade the sf position. I feel like the team can suffer the loss of Brooks more is my point.

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

martin is an excellent scorer who isn't a ballhog. we're keeping him, but someone should tell him what a defensive stance is.

12. DaDakota

Why trade or get rid of any of them?

Right now, we are set at:

PG
    SG
    SF
    PF

All we lack is a center..........we have quality players at every other position.

And if you know Rick Adelman's offensive system it requires a player like Brooks at the point....Mike Bibby ish.

DD

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And whose our substitute for Chris Webber?

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Just because the team has a bunch of good scorers doesn't mean we are set. We have one of the worst defensive teams in the league with Brooks, Martin, and Scola in the starting lineup.

15. DaDakota

I ain't buying....

What we have are a bunch of players who got here late in the season and had trouble with the defensive rotations.

Is Martin a good defender? No...but he can be adequate if he understands where to be....

And, if you insert a healthy Yao, or a shot blocking threat at the center position, we have more than enough to win it all.

More than....

DD

16. Raven

Raven Member

Too many variables to say. I prefer Martin's game, but Brook's contract. My hope is that Morey can land a franchise player without giving up either one, but that could be tough to do. Still, if any GM can do it, Morey can.

17. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

"I am saying, I have seen the future, and it is Dan Langhi."

That's hilarious :)

That's a credibility killer if there ever was one.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Wow.

Knote32 just blasted any sort of insightfulness DaDakota will ever have about drafted players.

19. dreamshake09

dreamshake09 Member

You keep both. If you had to pick, you keep Martin because he is the pure shooter that the Roxs have desperately needed.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Because Yao can't stay healthy. We need a superstar and Morey knows this. From this point forward, I think the organization realizes that Yao can be the gravy, but he can never be the main horse. It's just too risky to attach the future of the franchise to a brittle player.