1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you keep, Brooks or Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Apr 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The thing about it is that martin is a gambler. Just like Trevor. You can only start one guy like that, because when you go for the steal and miss, you create a negative chain reaction that usually results in points scored. Martin isn't terrible on D, but he does need to add a little strength. Brooks is quick enough to stay with his man, but he isn't getting any taller and there will be nights when bigger guys dominate him.

IMO, adding Yao and a 4/5 guy that is good on D, then you put the team back to being a top 10 defense. I think Battier will have a better year as well.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No, but they will shoot alot more jumpers.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No,but AB in a package with Jeffries, Battier and a 2011 pick would.

4. RyanB

RyanB Member

i'd keep Martin, but only if we get in return someone worth ala Landry-Martin ;)
    a point guard gifted in passes and tough defender would upgrade our team by far cause we really need good passers to Yao in the clutch and good backcourt defense cause u cannot win like that against guys like DWill, CO3, Billups, Rose,Parker,Kidd...

5. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

Brooks

by the way: where is the poll?!?!

6. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Do I have to choose? I don't get rid of either one. Get KM on some free weights & some muscle milk. Give Brooks the Magic Johnson instructional video on how to play D. We'll be good to go. Problem solved.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOL why are picking between our two best players.

The answer is both.

8. blunto

blunto Member

I never quite understand threads like this. Get rid of one of them? What is involved with that? Cutting one of them? Not extending or resigning Brooks? Trading one of them? In exchange for what? So vague. So silly.

I can understand a discussion about who plays better defense, who is outperforming their contract and to what degree, or which player is more easily replaceable, etc. However, that's not really the question being posed.

Smart a$$ remark of the day:
    If we are left to fill in the blanks surrounding the circumstances in which we "get rid of one" then I say we send both of them to Cleveland exchange for LeBron James in a S&T and work out the rest from there.

9. EffTheJazz!!!

EffTheJazz!!! Member

Wow, i agree, i dont even know why this topic came up when its about our two best players.

We lost Landy, and now we are talking about losing the guy we traded him for or the other young talent that played beside him, who is also the leading candidate for NBAs most improved player??

Umm.. heres a wild idea, why dont we just keep both??? :confused:

10. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I would keep Martin for sure. Brooks is a talented scorer, but every other quality is below average IMHO. He is NOT a floor general type of PG like Lowry. He is more like AI except not as good.

I believe our backcourt is too much of a defensive liability to keep both Brooks and Martin. Martin excels offensively and gets to the line at a high rate and has an awesome free-throw percentage. These qualities overcome his defensive liabilities. However, the PG position is more important and Aaron's capabilities do not exceed his deficiencies with regard to the team's current makeup.

I would give Kyle the job and trade Aaron. Kyle has better court vision, is more explosive, and can play better defense. I wouldn't mind having someone like Chris Duhon as a backup PG.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good god, see Rafer Alston !

DD

12. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Could you elaborate?

13. DaDakota

If you think Lowry could be a starting PG, you are sadly mistaken, teams will lay off of him and let him shoot, and it will be Rafer Alston like on offense all over again.

His barrel into players does not work in the playoffs or late in games as refs don't call it.

He is great as a change of pace, energy guy, but this is the backup QB syndrome all over again.

He is not a starter for a reason, heck, he wasn't one in Memphis either.

But for some odd reason, he has people believing he is starter material....oh well, at one point the world was flat too.

DD

14. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

"oh well, at one point the world was flat too."

Go take your blood pressure medicine.

15. DaDakota

Go learn the game of basketball.

DD

16. tested911

tested911 Member

I've brought this up before but we are going to trade Brooks and pickup T.J. Ford for the starting PG spot.. If you want to look at my crystal ball please donate money to me :)

17. DaDakota

Yuck....

Do you know what they call team's that trade their up and coming all star players?

Lottery teams !

DD

18. rocketshopeful

majority of the team was below average defensively. I don't think even ariza, noted for his defense, had a good year (as a whole) defensively.

The point is, I don't think we saw martin's or brooks defensive capabilities. Defense is somewhat contagious to the rest of the team, if the entire team doesn't have the defensive minded capability or confidence, it effects everyone.

Wasn't Adelman on record saying Kevin Martin was good his first year defensively, but started sagging on D when he was bearing the load offensively. I thought I saw someone post that here (not sure if its true).

19. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Recent comments (and insinuations) from Morey:

"Based on comments DM made this morning on 1560 about the lack of defense in the back court and to paraphrase said that they will either get better or be replaced."

Also "Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry are restricted free agents, but Morey pledged to match any offer they receive in order to keep them, too."​

Morey must be a flat-earther.

I don't dislike Brooks. He's very talented. I just believe, all things considered, we need to improve our backcourt defense if we expect to win a championship.

You don't make pledges to "match any offer" if you do not have great appreciation and confidence in your player.

Brooks is a valuable commodity. We can put together a package that brings us a BU PG in addition to other benefits (players/picks).

A Brooks/Martin backcourt will score a lot of points, but will it win championships? Not in my opinion.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

This.

Why would we need Brooks, when we have Lowry?

Brooks and Martin essentially do the same thing in terms of offensive efficiency.