1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do Spurs need for another title?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Qball, May 24, 2002.

1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I know by now that everyone has lost hope of Spurs ever being a contender for the title. Ultimately, the franchise's downfall can be blamed on everyone except for Tim Duncan. Here's the simple dilemma: "Ball goes down to Tim Duncan, fakes left, can't shake Shaq. Looks for an open man. (Steve) Smith for 3, no good. Duncan with a rebound. Back out to Bowen, 18 footer, no good." 9 minutes later, after losing a 11 point lead, Spurs lose by 4.

I want to know, what player(s) would the spurs need to be a contender. I would suggest RAY ALLEN. With Ray Allen on the Spurs I think Spurs would have a dynasty going.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Allen would be awesome, but there's virtually no chance of that happening. He's too expensive, and the Spurs don't have the franchise pieces to trade without Duncan.

You need a complete team to beat the Lakers. Right now, the Spurs have four of the five pieces: the penetrating, quick point guard (Parker), the excellent perimeter defender for Bryant (Bowen), the two good big men inside (Duncan and Rose/Robinson), and quality depth. They're so close, as evidenced by the leads they built against LA, but at the same time the one piece they're missing can be the hardest to find. They've just got to have a creator from the perimeter to take the pressure off Duncan. It's not a matter of Duncan not being good enough, but simply the way of post players. Any post player can be limited by the defense sagging down to the basket if he doesn't have the perimeter players to hit the outside shots and take the ball to the basket.

Daniels has the potential to be that piece, but I wouldn't bank on it; he's too inconsistent. He was great in the fourth quarter of game 5, but in game 4 (the turning point), he missed several wide open threes and eight foot runners.

The Spurs aren't going to be getting any Ray Allen type players until the summer of 2003, when they'll have all the cap room in the world. This summer is going to be about finding the diamonds in the rough. Somewhere, there's going to be an athletic perimeter player that's fallen out of favor with his teammates and management. The Spurs can afford to take a chance on someone, with the excellent stability in the lockerroom. Maybe they can take a chance on Ron Mercer, who's on the bench in Indiana, or Larry Hughes. I'd guess some players like those might be available for Antonio Daniels and some picks...

3. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Marion would be a nice fit in '03. But, Duncan has been the most outspoken about Jason Kidd. Spurs will have the ability under the cap to sign Kidd. Not sure what would happen with Parker...he and Kidd would be one of the quickest backcourts in the league.

4. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

The Cat,

Do not forget about Ginobili. He is expected to join the team next season.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

McDyess should be something
    becuase

1. Dyess maybe leaving Denver anyway
    They could trade Robinson . . .so that Denver will have even more
    cap space at the end of next year

2. they NEED starting SG, SF [C or Pf . . depends on where Duncan
    plays]

I think they have a Euro coming in for SF
    I think daniels is a good back up.
    Same for Rose.

Rocket River

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

San Antonio needs to do SOMETHING or they very well could lose Duncan in 2003. Bowen & company are not going to hold the fort down; it's got to be total development around Duncan with Parker and Rose as the complements. Save for a couple of players, the rest of the roster needs to be vanquished for upgrades in talent and youth. Without seeing any improvements, no matter the cap space, Duncan could leave for a team with those pieces in place - Orlando, Miami, or even Washington or Chicago, heaven forbid.

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Spurs have the defense and can pass well but just can't seem to finish. I think that Spurs need a pure shooter. Ray Allen would blaze it up when Duncan is double or triple teamed. I can see Allen playing a secondary role to Duncan, and he would complete the 1-2 punch the Spurs need. Steve Smith was suppose to be the answer to San Antonio's perimeter shooting problem but is a flop. Allen can shoot and drive. Spurs would be unstopable.

I also suggest Allen Houston. But he is not as complete of a player as Ray Allen is. Even Glen Robinson could be an option. Anyone else yall can think of?

8. drapg

drapg Member

9. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

I like Bruce Bowen at small forward, for Kobe Bryant. Small forward is not a pressing concern for them, unless Bowen leaves. They need a shooting guard, and they are seriously thinking Emanuel Ginobilli could be an answer. They are envisioning a backcourt of Parker and Ginobilli.

I also agree that the Spurs need a creator from the perimeter, and that is why the loss of Derek Anderson hurt them.

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think that every draft pick they have will help tremendously.

They could draft a guy like Virginia's Roger Mason, Luis Scola(Spain?), Alababama's Grizzard, Kentucky's Prince.

With their two second rounders they could probably trade up a couple spots to draft Jacobsen or Yarbrough.

With the announcement of Robinson's retirement, they might even look at Sampson(Good potential, Should get help from Duncan), Boozer(NBA body to say the least)

If the Spurs are able to hold on to Parker, Duncan, Daniels, Rose(A must-resign IMO), and Charles Smith, they are in good position to contend, and still sign a pretty good player. The incoming European is supposed to be a pretty good SG as well.

11. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

The Spurs really need to get searching for their future center, because Malik Rose is not the answer. He's good, but is not big enough to be a center. I agree that Sampson or Boozer would be good draft picks for the Spurs to invest in.

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

They need Shaq.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I hardly think Shaq is the answer for a team needing fourth quarter scoring. :p

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

They need someone who can get there own shot. Its going to come a time wen a player just has to create a shot. After Duncan, and maybe the rookie, they have no one.

15. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

They need a strike-shortened season.

16. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

They need Derek Anderson.

(Let the fireworks begin!):p

17. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

YEAH, YEAH YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.

I've heard enough of that BS from Phil Jackson.

Alright:p

18. Hydra

Hydra Member

Since they already have Jesus (Parker) and a Mary (The Little Mermaid) they could probably stick with the biblical motif and try to get God. God Shammgod is the answer for the Spurts.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Duncan ain't leaving....he alone is enough to kick Orlando's sorry ass. When will people learn that max players will not turn down 30 extra million to leave their teams?

20. Sane

Sane Member

I think Cuttino Mobley is the best player in the NBA to compliment Duncan, don't you guys think? A lightning quick PG who can score and do all sorts of things would help too. Bowen at SF is perfect.

LOL.

Do you guys see where I'm getting at?

Bowen is opting out of his deal. If Duncan sees the perfect backcourt for him, and we sign Bowen, we're the super team you're talking about.

Where would they get a Mobley though?