1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which option for the future would you take???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by primtim24, Jan 16, 2013.

?

What option works best going forward?

1. Tank and go after a "Real Franchise QB"

10.1%
  2. Keep at what we have and try to get over this ourselves

50.7%
  3. Get rid of Kubiak and go for best HC available

42.0%
  4. Get rid of Schaub and go for best QB available

39.1%
  5. Get rid of Wade and go for best DC available

5.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

In the midst of one of the more angering Houston endings to a season we've seen in recent years, there have been lots of differing opinions thrown out as to "what we should do now". But as I read a lot of these options/opinions I began to think about the aftershocks of choosing said options. It got me to thinking about our possible future as a franchise, and I asked myself, "given these options which would I take".

What do you think is best for our future?What do you think has the highest risk/lowest reward? Which would you choose?:

1. Tank and start over with a "Real Franchise QB" which means we would suck for at least a little while
    2. Keep what we have going and hope we eventually get over the hump on our own which means we could potentially turn into the early 2000's version of the San Diego Chargers and go roughly 12-4 every year with no SB's
    3. Get rid of Kubiak, and take the best coach available means we run the risk of having to change our entire scheme and possibly set ourselves back for a couple of seasons
    4. Get rid of Schaub, and take the best QB available we could possibly get stuck with a QB who does some things better than Schaub, but does other things a lot worse than Schaub.
    5. Get rid of Wade, and take the best DC available we could possibly end up having to rely on the offense for a bit in order to compensate for the roster changes that the new DC will rely on.

2. primtim24

My personal opinion is that with the cornerstones to our team getting up in years (Andre, Matt Schaub, Myers, J.Jo) I think we should keep at it, and just try to get better players and more depth. We've seen what injuries can do to this team seemingly every season.

But if we had more quality depth in the secondary, then we maybe could use our current scheme against the elite QB's. But until we find a way to have 4 quality CB's on the field at once, we just simply can't do it. I know we could use an upgrade at QB, but at the end of the day Matt Schaub going 31-32 for 400yds, 4 TD's and no INT's still wouldn't have been enough to win on Sunday. So I think we could use some defensive help. And as much as people won't want to admit it, we're very close to turning the corner if we have a really good draft we could be exactly where we want to be next season.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I believe that a different coaching philosophy could better utilize the available talent and take the team further. I am certain that Kubiak is a very nice man. Certainly he is knowledgeable and experienced, but he lacks the creativity, flexibility, and temperament to coach at this level. I think he would be a great assistant, he was a great assistant. I believe that he has topped out. I watched all the games last weekend; one team didn't seem to belong, the Texans. That is not totally on the players.

I don't think he puts the team in the best positions to win. I don't think he can motivate at a high level. I don't think he is good at in game adjustments. It is past time for a change. Yes, the record looks good, but what is the point if you lose the majority of the games to the good teams and lose four out of six of your final games. Unless you are happy with beating up on the Bengals every season, then we need a change.

4. conquistador#11

we keep grinding and hoping that giselle cheats on tommy boy and cries himself out to retirement.
    Winning isn't easy. I've been waiting for Argentina to reach another world cup finals since the age of 9.

If the giselle option doesn't pan out, you have to solidify and tweak the scheme to overcome these gimmicky offenses. We need 4 down line men that the league fears. Watt counts as 2, now we need a DT and another end, though I do think Cushing's casualty negated what this D-line was awesome at. We were the numba one stuntas in the league last year. The stunt without cushing is like sex without another partner. Cushing would come free when we ran those stunts.

Seriously, coordinators around the league need to get it together. They act like they've never seen such formations, now the k-gun and apparently the running Qb. What's next? bring back the wishbone?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Realistic plan going forward:

1) Change the offense & draft a QB

2) Let Matt give himself a chance to prove he can run said new offense

3) If he cannot, replace him with drafted QB in 2014

4) If he can, work on improving rest of team and let him play out the majority of his deal

6. primtim24

Where is TJ Yates in all of this. After watching TJ last year, its very clear to me that he his ceiling is miles higher than Matt Schaub's is. He's better than Schaub at the things that aren't coachable: Mobility, Arm Strength, and Moxy. But he's not better at the one thing that is coachable: his decision making. If we can get someone to work with him on that, then there's no reason that he can't be a great QB for us. (I won't use the "E" word, but it's a lot more possible with him than Schaub)

7. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Chase Daniel from the Saint will be a FA this summer. We can try and sign him and have an open competition. He is regarded as the best backup QB by many.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:rolleyes: When will the crappy threads end...? WHEN!?!?!? :mad:

Kubiak has improved this team year in and year out, and BOTH TIMES he's faced better teams in the Divisional rounds. At 12-4, you want to get rid of that? STFU.
    Schaub isn't going anywhere! The man barely played his FIRST playoff start, and you want to crucify him... STFU.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Gone after his rookie deal expires.

Unless Schaub gets cut at the end of 2013 and he beats out his rookie competitor in 2014.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

i take the same position I would if it were the Rockets.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This isn't the NBA.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

sure worked for the Colts.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That **** pisses me off like no other. Of all the times for 5head to go out with an injury, it was the year that there were literally 5 franchise-changing QBs entering the draft. Pure luck, and if that isn't a charmed franchise, I don't know what is. Jim Irsay is kind of a douchebag too.

14. primtim24

Bro, calm down. Obviously you were a little too lazy to read the entire thing. I voted for keep everything intact and try to improve the players through the draft and FA.

The point of this "crappy thread" is so to tell the people who think they can just get rid of a good head coach and QB and expect the next guys to turn into Tom Brady and Bill Belichick that doesn't always work. As a Texans fan from day 1 I have seen astronomical improvements from then until now, but some fans seem to think that we've been 13-3 for the last 10 years and we need change. I feel that we're a lot better today than we were yesterday and until that changes we need to keep along the same path.

GO TEXANS!

15. primtim24

Once again, I didn't vote for that. But there are some people on this board who think that all we need to do is have a down year, get a top draft pick, and then we get to draft John Elway. And exactly this isn't the NBA, yet if you'll notice there are people who voted for it. Some people need to get off the Madden and actually start paying attention to real football, just because you traded Matt Schaub and a #1 for Aaron Rodgers doesn't mean the Texans can do it in real life. There's a process to getting good, and NFL owners (the smart ones at least) don't want to throw away a good thing just for "an opportunity" to be great.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stay the course.

That doesn't mean to not look at upgrades at QB or other positions.

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

when will people come to the realization that our team was just not good to go deep in the playoffs this year...forget Schaub's limitations...Some days our offense would be on a roll and some days it wouldve been off...if we managed to sneak by the Patriots, the Ravens wouldve crushed us based on the way they've been playing recently...What makes you think an embarrassing result wouldnt have happened if we had to face the Falcons or the Niners...just because we were 12-4 doesnt mean we didnt have glaring holes...

In Wade's system(not really a 3-4 but a 5-2)...it requires extremely talented rangy ILB to make good solid decisions, bc the guys on the outside are often times all by themselves...in OLB and DL are often used to blitz...they have to either beat 1-1 match ups or often times get home untouched...his system is geared on applying pressure upfront and relying on excellent coverage down field...In wade philosophy, if the QB only has 3 seconds to exploit a coverage, he better get that ball out fast or he will not get it done...Elite QBs tear up a system like that bc they are able to make presnap adjustments and get their match ups accordingly and there is nothing you can do about a good QB making a good decision...The defender needs to make a great play or it will be a completion. Just that simple. But more than 80% of QB in the league fit under the Matt Schaub category...However there is one caveat to this system and its the ILB!

This scheme is built to make LBs the most important player on defense; just like the QB is to the offense...they have to be a captain...No one expected Cushing to be out at the beginning of the season..and neither did Wade...hence why they traded Demeco to the Eagles...They believed in Cushing's ability to be a good team captain...but once ur team captain is lost for the season...you cant have another position replace him as a leader...you have to hope that your replacement LB is that person...in our case, Bradie James was decent against the run but terrible against pass defense...good teams exploited this match up issue

I was depressed seeing Rudd trying to cover Vereen on a RB wheel route...A good accurate throw will give you a TD 10/10 times...There was nothing Rudd couldve done differently...But insert Cushing on that play, Cushing wouldve been able to locate that ball and atleast made a play of the trajectory...that was what Cushing brought to the table...Think about those 2 huge completions in the middle of the field that set up the Pats in the red zone(acutally 3 but one was called a offensive PI, and was called back). One was to Hernandez and the other was to Welker...You think Cushing wouldve been trucked like Quinn was???

Cushings presence wouldve allowed for the ILB to play more of a legit zone...any pass that was coming through the middle wouldve been Cushing's play. At times Cushing couldve been on the RB, and we couldve allowed the FS to act as a rover playing the middle of the field.

Bottom line was our depth at LB was really exposed and Cushing's presence wouldve helped leap and bounds...I can guarantee that the Texans are going to look for more 2 way LBs in the 1-3 rounds...bc thats what this team defense really needs...rangy LB that can cover and make solid plays...Look for the Texans to draft OLB and ILBs early and get TE's OL help later down the draft once again...

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

Keep Schaub. If you cut him, then his cap hit is too much for us to carry.

Best case scenario. Trading Schaub for draft picks. I've said this twice in other threads, but Carson Palmer gave the Bengals a first round and a second round pick.

If there is any first round second round talent QB, then you take him. Then let that said QB compete with TJ.

If we are stuck with Schaub, then I am fine with that. There isn't much we can do.

19. primtim24

To quote emjohn :this isn't the NBA. Whether you trade a player, or decide to cut them, they hit the cap. So there's really no point in trading a player like Schaub unless we're going to trade him for someone who makes roughly the same and just accept the cap hit.

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

Thanks for the clarification.

Wouldn't we be able to receive couple of players that have less of a cap hit in the long run, but still make the same amount as Schaub would next offseason?

and another point, let's say we just take the cap hit, those draft picks won't cost that much regardless.