1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where To Eat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kemahkeith, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Headed to Texas tomorrow.
    Mom is having surgery in Pasadena. Staying there for 4 nights
    Checking to see if there are any good spots to grab dinner. Looking for good Mexican, a good chicken fried steak, and a good place to grab a steak. And looking for a good pub to watch the Texans Jets game
    staying at Residence in on East Sam Houston Parkway.

Thanks for any help.
    Grew up in Kemah/ League city area. Not familiar with the food in Pasadena

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Andys bbq just for grub. He doesn’t have tvs

bubbas 33 for the game

Olive tree is bomb Mediterranean.

La Fonda is great mex mex. Johnny tamale is good tex mex

burger libre is good too. Gringos concept.

3. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for this

4. Buck Turgidson

No personal recs for that area, but there's gotta be good cajun/creole food around there

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

When I was selling to restaurants in the area, I liked these guys.
    https://www.credeurscajuncookin.com/

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Texas Monthy Taco Guy says this about Houston, in his Best of 2023: https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/my-favorite-mexican-and-tex-mex-bites-of-2023/

[the last 2 are up around Aldine, and that's where I'd want to go for lunch]

Aguachile Verde
    Xalisco Cocina Mexicana, The Woodlands
    Enticing, refreshing, and fiery aguachile has stolen my heart. I order it whenever I see it on a menu, including at Xalisco Cocina Mexicana, where executive chef Beatriz Martines gives customers a survey of Mexican cuisine, including a gimmicky table-side mini trompo. But it’s the aguachile verde—with its tender butterflied shrimp resting in a bath of lime juice and serranos topped with aromatic cucumber and apple slices—that shines brightest.

Arroz con Leche
    El Hidalguense, Houston
    This Spring Branch neighborhood restaurant was praised in the New York Times as one of the best restaurants in the country for its “rustic cooking.” The barbacoa de borrego is good, no doubt, but it’s the fresh, light arroz con leche dessert that is the star of any meal at El Hidalguense. A delicate layer of condensed milk blankets fluffy white rice and is garnished with a stick of cinnamon—it takes the weight off of a hearty meal.

Barbacoa de Borrego
    Tres Chiles, Houston
    The large chunks of earthen-cooked lamb served at this Mexican restaurant in the outskirts of Houston are deceiving. A gentle push from a fork and the meat separates into threads of intensely gamey meat. This barbacoa de borrego is among the best around and excellent by the pound, in a drinkable consommé, or in tacos. There is one caveat: if you’re put off by animal mounts on walls, Tres Chiles is not the restaurant for you.

Tacos de Guisados
    Azteca Taco House, Houston
    It’s no secret that wide-ranging guisados are my favorite category of tacos. They’re the perception-busting tacos that evoke homeyness and a strong sense of identity from Mexicans. Every morning and at lunch time, Azteca Taco House sees a line of customers shuffling and pointing in front of the vinyl barrier behind which the daily guisados are displayed. I’d love to say you should get them all or that I’ve tried them all; the guisados, which fill a tortilla alongside beans and rice, are very filling. Order two if you’re dining alone: I recommend the bone-in costillas (pork ribs) and the potato-studded picadillo.

7. Buck Turgidson

Texas Monthly:

My Favorite Texas-Style Barbecue Trays of 2023

As I traversed the country in search of Texas-style barbecue this year, I found the Texas trinity and other staples done extremely well at these 20 joints.

https://archive.is/I185H

There may be something near some of you poor bastards who don't have access to good bbq?!?

@Nook...you been to this Chicago place? Curious if your opinion jives with his

https://greenstreetmeats.com/

#7 Buck Turgidson, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2024