1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where Does It Say The Supreme Court Is Supposed To Be Balanced?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 29, 2023.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Really pretty straight forward question. I hear the concerns but i don't think it's a constitutional issue. The framers had to understand the court could be packed.

Now, McConnell holding up Obama's nominee was a real issue and maybe there is something to be done to make sure that never happens again

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Of course the side that has the majority aren't worried about how right it is in the eyes of the constitution. U can bet you @$$ that if liberals somehow stack the court, we would hear the btching for days of how unconstitutional it is by conservatives.

In an ideal world the 9 justices should b unbias and uncorruptable. The conservatives don't like that so they decided to jam pack the courts with ultra conservatives. U can push the country back into the stone age with a 6-3 majority

3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not considering the Founding Fathers were against political parties.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe some wokies would suggest affirmative action for the Supreme Court.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

There were the Federalists and Democratic-Republicans and clear political differences

6. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

See: Clarence Thomas. He was wholly unqualified to be nominated. He was a judge for all of 1.5 years before being nominated.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Constitution doesn't say it has to be balanced. It also doesn't say you shouldn't pack the court with additional justices in a naked power grab, which is the obvious remedy when you hold the Presidency and Senate but are losing in the supreme court. It is one of those unspoken norms that Trump was always breaking: keep a 5-4 balance and don't pack the court. I won't reproach Biden for refraining, but it was Republicans who broke spades and he would have been justified in my eyes to pack it.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't claim to be a historion but it seems like packing is a recent strategy with abortion. Googling did teach me that FDR wanted to add justices to ensure the New Deal wouldn't be overturned. Also I don't remember learning anything about the court in regards to slavery