1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do 'Stros go from here?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by liamrock, Jan 9, 2005.

1. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

Where do "Stros go from here?

I just saw on a fantasy sports website called - talentedmrroto.com that the Stros are going after Alfonso Soriano.

Carlos Beltran's decision to leave the Astros came as a shock to many in the industry, and will now spur Houston to acquire Alfonso Soriano from Texas, according to a National League executive.

I wouldn't be surprised. We need the big bat....I bet Soriano would bat 2nd behind Bidge. I know he strikes out a lot, but he's fast and he's got real power.

Or should they go after Randy Winn from Seattle?

2. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

Rock Bottom.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Not a big Randy Winn guy, but I think we could do worse. I'd go after Soriano only if he agrees to play CF, otherwise no thanks. I want Chris Burke as the opening day 2B.

4. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Rebuilding. Next year will likely be a disaster looking at our potential batting order. I mean we really are depending on Lane, Tavares, and Burke to step up big in order to contend. Great.

5. ths balla

ths balla Member

pick up soriano, mags, and have lane start

6. RocketFan007

I doubt that Drayton will be negotiating with Boras again anytime soon. Ordonez won't be an Astro.

7. MykTek

MykTek Member

i wouldn't be surprised if they do somethign stupid now... like trade some our young guys for ppl.....if the soriano rumor is true....there goes Backe and Burke .....

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Guys lets not get out of hand here...rebuilding? Last year at this time we had no Carlos Beltran and we were talking World Series. We'll be fine as long as Morgan Ensberg and Jason Lane step up. It's not exactly what I'd call rebuilding.

9. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Opening Day lineup as of right now

Ausmus
    Bagwell
    Biggio
    Everett
    Ensberg
    Lane
    Palmeiro
    Burke

Starting rotation as of right now

Oswalt
    Pettitte
    Backe
    Hernandez
    Redding/Duckworth?

Bullpen

Lidge
    Wheeler
    Qualls

It's not a full fledge rebuilding job but this team is going nowhere in 2005.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You could pick up Randy Winn. You won't lose anything in offense from what is currently penciled in, and the defense will be much better.

You could pick up Shawn Estes from the Rockies. Decent third or fourth starter.

You could pick up Soriano.

From what I have read, we have an abundance of prospects at A and AA. I have also heard via radio that the aforementioned guys may be able to be obtained in trade for some of said prospects.

11. RocketFan007

I'm pretty sure that Estes is a free agent. I'd be surprised to see us go after Soriano before Burke gets a shot.

12. wood

wood Member

Why not Rockies CF Preston Wilson??

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Cause the guy strikes out a hell of a lot....

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd be willing to bet a call has been placed to Jeremy Burnitz and to the Devil Rays for Jose Cruz, Jr. If not yet, then soon. Both are locals (Burnitz is from Conroe for those of you that didn't know). I wouldn't mind picking up either. Once Berkman comes back that player or Biggio would come off the bench. I do think that we still need Biggio as an everyday player, or at least as much as he can go. He is still the best leadoff option until Burke gets his feet wet in the majors or until Willy Taveres is ready. We really only need an OF'er for one year as I think Taveres will actually be ready later this season or no later than 06.

I am hoping for Carlton Jimerson to learn a little better how to hit. If he starts hitting for average and strikes out less, he could be a monster. Last season in Round Rock, he hit a home run that was located some 650 feet from home plate. He has great speed and a very good arm. That is one to watch out for in the near future IF he learns some discipline. His major problem is that he always tries to hit the ball 650 ft.

I don't think that trading Backe for Soriano is the answer. I think Backe is going to make a good 3rd starter and could win 12-15 games next season. He is not the mental midget that Redding is. If he picks up another pitch and gets the stamina up that a starter needs, I think he will be a very solid replacement for Wade Miller. Soriano has publicly stated that he doesn't want to play in the OF, even though that is where he belongs. If the Astros were to get him, their defense would actually take a step backwards from Jeff Kent.

Right now, I actually think that the 4th and 5th starter is possibly the biggest issue. Also, the pen needs more help. I don't want to see Tim Redding in and Astros uniform this year unless he becomes the bullpen catcher. Then again, I'd much rather have Stretch Suba. If Carlos has some velocity back then he's probably 4th. The 5th spot is going to be between Munro, Taylor Buckholz and Ezequiel Astacio. I would assume Munro starts the season but is in the pen by the end of May. The winner of the other 2 is the 5th starter and the loser is in AAA and is the first option. Otherwise, a free agent or trade will bring in at least one.

Here's what I see on opening day...

Biggio LF
    Everett SS
    Bagwell 1B
    Lane RF
    Ensberg 3B
    Curz Jr. CF
    Burke 2B
    Ausmus C

Palmeiro, Viz, Lamb, Chavez, Luke Scott, Eric Bruntlett

Oswalt
    Pettitte
    Backe
    Hernandez
    Munro

Lidge, Gallo, Qualls, Wheeler, Harville, Duckworth or Redding (the loser will be cut)

On June 1st, I see

Burke 2B
    Everett SS
    Bagwell 1B
    Berkman RF
    Lane LF
    Ensberg 3B
    Cruz Jr. CF
    Ausmus C

Biggio, Viz, Lamb, Palmeiro, Chavez, Bruntlett

Oswalt
    Pettitte
    Backe
    Hernandez
    Buckholz

Lidge, Qualls, Wheeler, Gallo, Harville, Munro

#14 leroy, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  15. RocketFan007

The Chronicle reported yesterday that the Devil Rays wouldn't trade Cruz unless it was for Lane. The Astros aren't going to do that. I don't want Cruz anyway. Burnitz was bad away from Coors Field last year, .244 13 homers 42 RBI, but if he accepts a cheap one year deal, I'd take him. I'd perfer Randy Winn, who was mentioned in the Chronicle today over either of them.
    I personally don't see Jimerson ever making it to the majors, we hit .238 last season at Round Rock, and struck out 163 times. And he hasn't improved at all since we drafted him. I consider shopping him if I were Purpura.

#15 RocketFan007, Jan 9, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Where exactly did I write what you quoted?

I do think that the Astros do need a better power bat either off the bench once Berkman is ready or to start and have Biggio come off the bench. Randy Winn doesn't have any power.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

We REALLY need Lane to have a nice year for us. His production is a big key to our season, in my opinion.

18. RocketFan007

Sorry, fixed the quote.

19. HectikG81

HectikG81 Member

I'm sick of this Astros organization losing players...

Betya' they'll dismantle and we won't see playoffs for good 5 years...

Well at least Hunsicker is gone.

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If he was still in charge, perhaps our plan B wouldnt have been to rebuild