1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will the Rockets tell their fans WHO IS IN CHARGE!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nick, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What I would like the Rockets to do (and have wanted them to do for some time now) is to hold a press conference to tell us WHO IS IN CHARGE!

This isn't just a JVG thing... this goes way back to the Rudy Tomjonavich days. Do you know that the last time the Rockets had a clear-cut GM was when Steve Patterson was running the team?

Since then, we've had Rudy acting as the coach... yet his stamp was all over the bringing in of CBA players, and trading Thorpe for Clyde, and then the 4-1 for Barkley. Then, even after CD was "officially" named GM, you still had the huge trades going on (Steve Francis), along with the new-found practice of signing likeable guys, who had some good performances, to HUGE long-term deals (Moochie, Maloney, Cato).

Then, JVG comes in... and everything gets a little fuzzy (despite us having the same GM). Suddenly, we get older (but 'wiser')... but we still have the blockbuster deal of T-mac. We set a precedent by only signing grizzled veterans like Sura, and trading for guys like Barry... but then we go out and trade for Mike James, and sign Stromile Swift (two polar-opposite type moves). Finally, 2 years later, James is gone (but rumored to come back), Swift is gone, Barry is retired, and Sura is all but gone... and we're replacing these guys with the likes of Shane Battier.

What does all of this tell us? Rudy was probably totally in charge when he was here... but he did teach CD a few things about pulling off the big deals. When JVG came, he was probably given the power of choosing his own players... but CD still didn't want to relinquish complete control, and made some moves on his own (Swift, James). Also, JVG probably succumbed to the T-Mac trade simply because of his disdain for Francis.

All I want to know is... WHO IS IN CHARGE!

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

[​IMG]

sorry, Nick. Couldn't resist

3. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Here is my answer...

I start to question who REALLY is behind this???

Is it really just JVG wants to hold on to his job?
    Is it really CD stupidity?

I think we all forgot some discussion a while back about WHY Les hired Money ball??

He wants to SELL Rockets!!!!

For that, he need the team to perform good enough so that he can sell HIGH.

He does not give a f**k about two years down the road. He just worries about the market value of Rockets next summer!!

4. mag

mag Contributing Member

The problem with this team is that we have a GM that is leaving at the end of the season and a coach in the last year of his contract.
    They definetely bet on getting out with what they think will be better for them personally and forgot about the future of the team. They might get a few extra wins and probably get in the playoffs and get kicked out again.

Even with the risk of Gay not turning on what his potential indicates, this team at least had a hope for a brigter future and if things worked out probably win the same number of games as what they are going to get now.
    The difference would have been that the future of the organization was much better. Now, Rocket fans better pray before each game that Yao or TMac don't get injure. If something happens to any of them, this franchise is done.

5. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

The Rockets should rehire Steve Patterson. He's the one that basically built our championship team. Things have been pretty much downhill since.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Only if Patterson and Dream got along...

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The whole orgnaization was pissed at Dream around 91-92... not just because of the "fake injury" situation, and constant contract squabbles, but also because they knew he was capable of so much more on the court (even though he was still putting up good numbers).

I'm pretty sure Steve wouldn't/didn't have any problems with Hakeem in his last year as GM during the 92-93 season (Dream finsihed 2nd in MVP behind Barkley).

8. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Who cares who's in charge? What difference does it make, and what right do we have to know who's calling the shots?

9. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

What?

10. sun12

sun12 Member

The Rockets organization is just a crap institution. Without the luck of landing the #1 pick for Yao, this team won't even make a single playoff after the Dream days.

I don't blame Les for holding on his purse tightly, but at least he should put a clear-cut structure and a capable GM for the team.

11. munco

munco Member

Accountability is nice.

12. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

i just wish they would talk about in public.. instead of being losers and hiding from the truth.. :(

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Man, I'm starting to really dislike Les. There, I said it.

14. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

unfortunatly, I really really doubt Les cares as long as his revenue #'s remain steady. He probably looks at us as runts and "those people"

They say the way to get em is to hit their pocket books, but I don't see a mass walkout on this.

ultimately, the owner is in control. (atleast in our case, not the knicks)

15. kikimama

kikimama Member

Obviously, CD runs things by JVG as he is the HEAD COACH. That's what I've read on the Chron but although they run things by each other, JVG doesn't want to get into what is CD's job and JVG wouldn't want CD telling JVG what to do as a coach.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see it that way. For one thing, I remember from last offseason that Van Gundy seemed to be behind the engine for acquiring Swift. He's doesn't only go for grizzled vets.

It seems to me that Dawson is the main guy doing all the deals, but he does his deals to give the coach the tools he wants. Someone mentioned a quote from this draft (don't know if it is valid) where he said it would be foolish to give Van Gundy someone without knowing if he wants him. In this latest deal, I'm sure they talked to Van Gundy about what he thinks the team needs. Van Gundy likely said that if we're going to win with McGrady, we need a solid role-player vet like Battier. And, he probably said he wanted to be rid of Swift this offseason. And then CD went and got Battier and got rid of Swift. I don't think JVG was included in determining the trade, but CD did what he did to accomodate the coach.

Same with trading Mike James. JVG said we'd need a real pg with Sura out. So CD got him one. I think it was probably the same way with Rudy T.

17. sun12

sun12 Member

The other thing is that any owner in the NBA would fire the GM after the EG fiasco and so many years of non-playoff appearance, but CD's job was so safe for so long. It appears that Les behaves similarly like the owner of the LA Clippers. As long as the money is there, who cares about playoff or not?

18. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Les, please sell the team. You obviously care about the Rockets less than we do. I'm tired of your overpriced tickets, food and beverages, and mediocre performance and effort. You bring misery to all of us.

19. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i read a rumor on the "net" that george postolos was forming a group to eventually buy the rockets from mr. cheaps