1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When should Kubiak be fired?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hairyme, Nov 18, 2013.

?

When should Bob pull the trigger?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2013.
  1. This week

61.4%
  2. At the end of the season

32.7%
  3. MORE BATTLEFIGHTING PLEASE.

5.8%
  1. hairyme

hairyme Member

Kubes.

I like the guy, stubbornness and all, but man, surely his time here is done. I think I had come to view him the same way I view(ed) Schaub: not great, but maybe just good enough...

That said, with the (potential) emergence of Keenum, I began to think that if he proved to be a promising QB, then you gotta give credit to Kubiak for bringing him along. If we accepted that there was hope for the future, then we'd have to acknowledge that Kubiak started it and should possibly be given another year as coach. I know, a bit delusional perhaps...

But then today happened.

Today was such a trainwreck of a game! I can't imagine that's something you can recover from as a coach with the team, fans, owner, etc.

So I think the question now is not IF Kubiak gets fired, but rather, WHEN.

If Kubiak gets fired now:
    - The coach search will take place with plenty of time and consideration, as I'm sure McNair would appreciate.
    - Keenum will get to finish out the season with a fair shot at proving himself (i.e. No Schaub interruptions).

If Kubiak gets fired at the end of the season:
    - We avoid the in-season drama of an interim head coach (Wade??); though, I'm not sure if you can have more drama than we had today.
    - Keenum could have more time to develop under Kubiak, which may or may not be a good thing at this stage.

What are some other pros/cons to each?

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

3. Raven

Raven Member

Before he can do anymore damage to Keenum's confidence. Granted, Case was struggling, but benching him was nuts.

4. EpiBear

EpiBear Member

yesterday

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

MORE BATTLEFIGHTING PLEASE.

6. keez857

keez857 Member

Ya know I'm really proud of our guys, really battlefotjdaoijfdsfkljkm

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Keep him forever so we can be continually tormented as Texans fans.

8. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Six years ago.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Like 3 weeks ago

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. It's overdue;

2. His interests are now different than the Texans;

3. At some point, someone has to be held accountable for this dumpster fire. Time to send a message to your fanbase that you actually care about the turdburger you've subjected them to.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Fixed. :eek:

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I truly believe he thinks that Schaub gives him the best chance to win NOW. I disagree with him, but I think that's what he thinks.

But winning now for a 2-7 team trying to figure out what they have at QB isn't the most important thing. Winning NOW is a luxury. They need to know what they have going into next season. To the extent Kubiak slows that because he needs to win NOW with Schaub, his interests are different than the Texans.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Fire Kubiak this morning.

Wade Philips takes over for the remainder of the year.

Clean out entire coaching staff in January.

Bring in the new coaching staff in late January/early February.

Clean out scouting department and front office after the draft.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Immediately.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

This hunt for a Lombardi Trophy is officially over, so there is no reason to fire him right now. The only reason to fire him right now would be if he continues to throw his "Boy Toy Schaub" as the starting QB! In my opinion, he should finish out the season and get ceremoniously fired the second the season is over! The players have to continue playing this season, why should Kubiak get to start his PERMANENT vacation early?

16. Summer Song Giver

Demote him to waterboy, fire him at the end of the season, forbid the interim from returning to Schaub, winning at this point is pointless, there are no moral victories.

Owner sucks too but we are stuck with him, unfortunately he is Houston football, my god.

17. mingthething

mingthething Member

His dad should have used a condom

18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

He should have been fired years ago. People will point to the success of the 10 and 12 win seasons as reasons to have kept him, which was nice and all, but the team was expected to be super bowl contenders those years. It's not like we couldn't have had the same record or better with a different coach. At best he has matched expectations, usually he has failed to reach them, and he has never exceeded them.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If we fire him now he gets to retire at a 0.500 record, which is exactly the type of football he coaches.

20. payaso

payaso Member

You don't want anything to roust this team out of a 3-13 finish at this point, so walk him at 00:00 of Game 16.

His replacement? Anyone who does not bear an aversion to drafting Longhorn talent in favor of Aggie Ring Club members; anyone who will make replacing Derek Newton a priority; anyone who will hire a no-BS secondary coach; anyone who will pass (medium/long) to setup the run.

Where does Art Briles go after this year?