1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your favorite song right now?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joeson332, Nov 15, 2017.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You utter ****ing clown- you call PF crap and like this over-produced, vacuous glop? Fatty Fat b*stard, delete your new account.

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Pink Floyd is atrocious, But even a broken clock is right twice a day. (google "analog clocks.")

4. Buck Turgidson

Today's been a bluegrass day.

5. VanityHalfBlack

I ****ing hate the eagles.
    worst song ever?

@theDude

[​IMG]

Hustle Town likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Yes. Worst song ever. Every HS/college chick in the 80/90's had the Eagles Greatest Hits on constant rotation. Insufferable.

VanityHalfBlack and Hustle Town like this.
  7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

How are we not friends?

@Bob Barker 007

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Nice. Have you listened to the new album yet?

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

11. Buck Turgidson

Are you buying the first round?

ETA: pulled up my last remaining tomato plants today. Next Spring is a whole new thing.

#71 Buck Turgidson, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  12. dandorotik

Absolutely disagree. The worst song of all time deserves to be attributed to a song that is actually bad, not one that is overplayed. You have to ask yourself:

1. Is the music shoddy, poorly played, bland? Of course not. It's using a reggae beat within a popular song, which back in 1975, was not an obvious nor popular choice (except for Clapton- and his "I Shot The Sheriff" was a remake). So, certainly it's not musically amateur- and the guitar solo at the end is great, no matter "worn out" it may be (truth be told, "Bohemian Rhapsody" has a lot of wear on it, as well)

2. Are the lyrics trite, banal, void of meaning? Of course not. I don't understand all of it, and I think Henley has better lyrics on other songs, particularly his solo stuff (esp. Driving With Your Eyes Closed), but HC's lyrics certainly aren't bland, or cliche-riddled.

3. Did the song have an impact? Of course it did. Typically, the biggest-selling albums in many cases are Greatest Hits packages, INCLUDING the Eagles 1974-1978. However, Hotel California by itself sold over 18 million. So, these are the rock studio albums that have sold more:

1. AC-DC- Back in Black
    2. Pink Floyd- Dark Side of the Moon
    3. Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin IV
    4. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours
    5. The Beatles- Sgt. Pepper

It's the biggest hit song on the 6th biggest-selling album of all time. Since music is very subjective, we have to consider record sales as indicative of an album's staying power. And Hotel California did not sell a whole bunch at the time and then peter out (like Shania Twain's Come On Over). It consistently sells millions every year and record sales go up every year. Largely due to New Kid in Town and Life in the Fast Lane- but, most largely due to HC.

When you have truly awful songs out there like Friday, Afternoon Delight, You're Having My Baby, After the Lovin, and 100s of others, it seems ludicrous to name HC as the worst song of all time. Typically, that's a hipster move trying to ape The Big Lebowski and thrash The Eagles and HC as an "in" thing to do.

(all IMHO)

13. dandorotik

Great bands, stupid logic in some instances. First of all, CT is one of my top 10 favorite bands, but they did not rule MTV, nor did Genesis. Rush is a band I love, but they have a LOT of long, pretentious crap from the 70s if you're going to go that route. Putting Duran Duran above Pink Floyd is ridiculous and just ends the discussion there. You're going to laud a band like Steely Dan for stuff like Do It Again, Aja, and Rikki Don't Lose That Number but not do the same for Pink Floyd for stuff like Time, Welcome To The Machine, and Money???? That's just selective communication diarrhea.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

my daughter just met him in the local grocery store, he had just played a concert in Syracuse I think

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I disagree. I simply ask myself which song annoys me the most in this world, and the answer is Hotel California by the Eagles.

Some throwaway song with terrible lyrics or terrible musicianship isn't going to get under my skin like that. It takes a special kind of piece of **** to affect a person that deeply.

Being the worst song ever is just as subjective as the best song ever. It's not something rational that you can detach yourself from and analyze objectively. It's how it makes you feel...and that song makes me feel fricking awful. And I don't mean in an emotional way...I mean in an extremely unpleasant way that shakes me to my core.

#75 DCkid, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  16. the shark

the shark Member

17. VanityHalfBlack

Thank you! It really is the worst song of all time. **** is garbage.

18. dandorotik

The good thing is that it won't be remembered that way. It will typically be remembered as one of the better songs from the 70s. When they go through the list of worst songs, it will be things like Friday, Mambo No. 5, Afternoon Delight, You're Having my Baby- those are and will be the ones remembered that way, thankfully.

Now, if you're talking about a song that is generally liked which you dislike, that's a whole other thing. I definitely have a few of those. "Sweet Home Alabama" is at the top of the list. I don't doubt it will be remembered as one of the top songs of the 70s, but I'm burnt out on it, and as much as I like Van Zandt's lyrics, he completely misinterpreted Neil Young's "Alabama" with this "response" song. Not a big fan.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think Donkey Kong is the greatest video game of all time.

DudeWah likes this.
  20. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Yeah. First reaction was that it was a step back. It's growing on me now. I don't think I'll ever like it as much as say, Alligator or Boxer but it's better than I initially thought. What do you think?