1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your favorite song right now?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joeson332, Nov 15, 2017.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Name your top 5.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'll answer for him.

AC/DC, Skynyrd, Def Lep, Van Halen (Not Van Hagar).

Xerobull likes this.
  3. dandorotik

Anyone that calls Pink Floyd's music "crap" loses, period. Someone doesn't personally like it, fine. But it's not crap.

Take Madonna. I don't own any of her CDs. I don't really listen to any of her music on a regular basis. Here is how I assess her music: within the 80s framework, she drew from a lot of different types of music and made them all work, whether it was the doo-wop of "True Blue," the Latin flavor of "La Isla Bonita," straight-ahead pop like "Like a Virgin" or "Papa Don't Preach," dance music like "Vogue," or ballads like "Crazy For You" or "Live to Tell."

It's clearly well-crafted music that, to me, might sound a bit too mechanical vs. organic, but no doubt the woman knows how to come up with good melodies. You can't be as successful as Madonna and be garbage. So, although I'm personally not into her, I wouldn't call her music crap.

It's one thing for music to be popular as part of a fad and then die out- that music is typically crappy. It's like one of my favorite bands, Cheap Trick. They put out this album in 1986 called The Doctor. Glossed over, cringeworthy melodies, just awful. Even the band hates it. I don't know what they were thinking. I'm sure there are entire bands like that, but I can't think of any right now.

Pink Floyd is not. Lyrics- not cliched, well-written, thought provoking. Music- some of the best guitar solos of all time, a bit slow-paced compared to other groups, but generally a high level of musicianship. Sonically, one of the absolute best-sounding bands of all time.

Anyway, it doesn't matter b/c that dolt is going to continue his stupid comments regardless of what I say. The numbers don't lie. 7th all time. And yes, some people don't have good taste in music- but most do.

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. dandorotik

OK, I won't speak to some of those bands, but if he would honestly put Def Leppard in his top 5 and call PF crap, then he's truly laughable.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Have you ever seen American Psycho?

Maybe you would be stupid to say Pink Floyd sucks. Maybe music is subjective and personal and unique like most forms of art and critical reception really doesn't mean much.

Don't most people have a critically-loved band or singer that they hate? I like a lot of music and I personally cannot stand Bruce Springsteen, but what the **** do I know? I listened to Limp Bizkit and Rob Zombie when I was a teenager.

Ultimately beauty is in the eye of the beholder dano, is it not?

CCity Zero likes this.
  6. dandorotik

OK.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, I go away for a while and come back to see that drunk Fatty is back.

It's a Thanksgiving MIRACLE!

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

My best bands? Too many for complete list, but Beatles for music and pioneering; Rush for music; Steely Dan for rock/jazz fusion; AC/DC for balls-to-the-wall rock; Police, Cheap Trick, Genesis, Duran Duran for ruling MTV; and The Who and Led Zeppelin for everything.And Pink Floyd? For creating drug users to think their music is good.

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Why do you always assume I'm drunk at 4 in the morning...

Pretty sure I'm still drunk now.

CCity Zero likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Today is Dr. John's 77th birthday, so everybody gets this:

11. the shark

the shark Member

You know when you pop off about something that you obviously know NOTHING about you truly show your ignorance.

12. Roscoe Arbuckle

And how old are you?

I enjoyed them once. When I was 17. And then I realized their tripe was meant for people who were on drugs.

13. the shark

the shark Member

Let me just say this, Pink Floyd has been around over 50 yrs and will be around another 50 yrs.

Do you think people will know who the hell Carly Rae Jepsen is (which you said you liked) in 50 yrs?

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Genesis is good, but they're no Daft Punk.

15. cebu

cebu Member

Jingle bells.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

God bless America

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, this was a pretty good one :)

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice list! However, I like Pink Floyd too. But Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, along with NIN and plenty of other artists from 70s/80s/90s are my favorites. Obviously everyone has their own opinions, I'm not into the psychedelic part or required drug stigma of Pink Floyd (that some feel the need to reference to enjoy it etc) but love their solos/live performances/music etc.

Regardless, even if we don't agree on Floyd from the other artists you've listed those are great choices, Steely Dan is excellent.

Roscoe Arbuckle likes this.
  19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Anyway on topic, I don't know, it depends on the day, haha, love lots of music, I'd have to go with Alice In Chains (just about anything from them featuring Layne and Cantrell). And from that in no order; Rain When I Die, Down in a Hole, Man in the Box, of course Rooster etc etc etc.

20. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I'm getting old. I lost my mom last year. Berringer just speaks to me, man.

Harrisment and moestavern19 like this.