1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your best Christian wood deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sydmill, Apr 4, 2022.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Talented player who fits better on a more veteran team with a top perimeter player. I think he could have been the missing piece on one of those Harden era rockets teams. But he's not a good fit on this roster. So what is your best deal involving Wood?

I'm a big proponent of the Wood, Tate, Brooklyn pick to Portland for Bledsoe and the NOP pick (for Tari Eason). However, I'm also intrigued by guys like Jalen Johnson (@D-rock) and JT Thor as potential bigs that'd fit with KPJ, green and the crew.

mikenm268 likes this.
  2. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I will give you a like as I completely agree.
    However, please don’t use my man Tate as trade filler.

Tate is the guy who will get the defensive stop to win the playoff series dominated by Green, Sengun, and Rox 2022 draft pick #1. We don’t want less Tate. We definitely don’t want no Tate.

snowconeman22, Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I would like to get higher up in the Draft for that trade scenario, which is why I was looking at the Blazers own pick if not in the lottery.

Lakers for sure. Charlotte is another team you might be able to look at. Sacramento? I don't know. Do Wood and Sabonis fit together? Certainly not a great defensive duo.

JoeBarelyCares and saleem like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I like the deal where he retires a Rocket.

peleincubus, hakeem94 and Jontro like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wood will be expiring, who has the reputation of being a bad defensive C, who's a bit immature

Yes, he's a pretty damn talented offensive player, but he's not a star and it seems uncertain if he would know his role and maintain a professional and positive attitude if traded to a contender that will delegate him to a 3rd or 4th offensive option, or may even ask him to come off the bench.

I try to think of an example of how Wood could fit in positively for a winning team and Bobby Portis comes to mind. I think we would have to find a simialr situation for Wood.

Maybe Saric + filler and a future protected first from the Suns?

Maybe Mavs muster up a combo of fillers (Boban, Brown, Burke) + future protected first

randerson and Y2JT like this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Basically any deal where you can either get another pick outright or move up into a higher tier draft position.

Patience, saleem, Aruba77 and 5 others like this.
  7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Lol at thinking the kings would pay attention to something like fit. It’s the kings! i would take anything I could get for wood, any first

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

especially since he's a consummate professional

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol rockets wasted all this valuable PT for Wood and got nothing for him....

10. mightybosstone

That trade bumps you up maybe 4-6 spots in this draft for arguably your two most valuable veteran trade assets. If they can't do better than that, Stone shouldn't be an NBA general manager.

I like the thinking in terms of getting a higher pick, but they have to get more value out of those guys. If it was just Wood or Tate, I could understand that trade a little better.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I can tell you, living in Portland, the Blazers have a need for Wood’s skill-set. They are reloading around Dame, they are not trying to develop rookies. They will be willing to move their pick (assuming an nba ready player like Murray isn’t sitting there). Of the teams we could realistically trade with, Portland has to be near the top of the list.

btw: I love Bledsoe as a vet PG that can help maximize Green and begin to help us turn this ship around and start winning next yr.

xaos and steddinotayto like this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd move up for one of Portland's pick without hesitation. Wood/Tate + Brooklyn's pick for either one of Portland's picks. Take back Bledsoe and just keep the capspace powder dry when his and Wall's contracts expire next summer.

red5rocket, DreamR, xaos and 3 others like this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This plus an expiring contract.

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Wood has a lot of value even with his faults. I like the guy and think he could become an all-star if he was put in a better situation and worked HARD to fix a few things, but it’s just as likely that he won’t. He’s not the kind of guy who can do it on his own. He can’t be your centerpiece. I think he’s valuable to a veteran team that can surround him with pieces that can mask his defensive liabilities. Having said that, I have no idea what kind of return Stone would get for him. Probably less than I would hope, but someone might be blinded by his potential and surprise us.

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

Perhaps I was overly generous with Portland (if the Brooklyn pick stays 13-15). I try to propose deals that another team would accept. While I would be willing to do Wood, Tate and that pick, my preference is Wood, Nwaba and the pick. Honestly the move is as much about opening up minutes and roster spots as it is about talent. Bledsoe, btw, is non guaranteed and could be dumped for pennies. Such a move presupposes that Martin is ready to be included in the team's foundation category as I would think he would have to be thought of in that way to make this deal.

Guards: KPJ/Green/Christopher
    Forwards: Jabari/Eason/Martin
    Centers: Sengun/Garuba

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Best time definitely in the morning.

17. steddinotayto

Depending on where our Brooklyn pick and the Knicks pick ends up that could also be another landing spot for Wood. Say the Knicks end up with the 10th pick and we maintain our pick at 13, I would trade Wood and the 13th for Walker/Gibson and the 10th pick. I'd prefer to get Mitchell Robinson in a S&T but I'd take back expirings and a few spots up for Wood and the Brooklyn pick

Aruba77 and xaos like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

This is the way.

xaos and steddinotayto like this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Bledsoe + Nwaba for Wood and a pick swap works.

20. steddinotayto

I don't think you were being generous--if Wood was worth more than facilitating a transaction to move a few spots up in the draft he would have been gone already. I think of it this way: if Wood was traded for a late 1st rounder in this year's draft, say, to Golden State for the 27th pick would the 27th + 13th be enough for the Blazers to give up one of their 1st rounders? Probably not. Wood, the player, is more valuable to a team like Portland than the 27th pick.

If Stone don't/can't use Wood to move up in the draft then he better be clairvoyant as **** in thinking he can extract something better by next year's trade deadline for an 18/10 big that has defensive limitations and is due for a contract extension next summer.

Truth be told: Wood can be one of our most valuable trade assets but he can also be a low-valued asset for the other 29 teams.