1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the stupidest name a rock band has ever named themselves?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Dec 26, 2018.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I don’t believe any of the members of the Toadies were actual toads

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Maybe not, but this is The Toads garage band take of the Beatles in Help! Minor league silliness writ small, but a fun tune. Danceable.

3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

hoobastank.

mikol13, Killatron 2000 and eric.81 like this.
  4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mookie Blaylock

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

This thread is a prime example of why I still keep visiting and occasionally posting in The Hangout... and will continue until the day I die. Great job by all!

xaos likes this.
  6. droxford

droxford Member

Flaming Lips

7. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, they did like 5 shows there that week, iirc. I remember having a fun night even though they weren't that good. Cool you still have the poster.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Probably KoRn, but... I think it's interesting when a band becomes successful the name doesn't seem to matter (even if it was something silly, much like the points already made here), and then it becomes cool etc etc Like Tool and many of the other bands listed... I mean the Who/Yes/Pink Floyd on their own it's like "whatever", but when they became successful it changed to it being a great name (well maybe not great but associated with greatness).

But I think all time bad name, instead of korn, might be limp bizkit , hahah, and of course Durst thought it was super serious probably (actually it looks like it wasn't meant that way but I could see him acting like that at their peak).

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Led Zeppelin...none of them were zeppelins

jsingles likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Perhaps not, but I remember floating during their concert at the Music Hall in early August, 1969. I saw them twice that month. That early August gig, which was their first concert in Houston in a venue built for string quartets and ballets, 3500 fans in a packed house with great acoustics, and the end of August at the Texas International Pop Festival just outside of Dallas, when a bunch of those who played Woodstock blew 200,000 people away, floating there, as well. Heck, a friend of mine floated right into the "trip tent" run by the Hog Farm on the last day. He ended up just fine, and with a story to tell.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.

jo mama likes this.
  12. jo mama

stupid good!

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  13. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Beastie Boys, they weren’t even all boys.

as explained by Mike Diamond in their recent book, the band name stood for Boys Entering Anarchistic States Towards Inner Excellence

So it was redundant and inaccurate since the band included a girl (Kate Schellenbach) at the time.

Deckard likes this.
  14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I just glad he started every rhyme he ever did with "I'm Mike D" just so I'd know which BB it was...

bobloblaw likes this.
  15. RocketWalta

RocketWalta Member

Legend has it that Pearl Jam was originally "Mookie Blaylock". Come to think of it Pearl Jam was a dumb name too.

Should have went w/ "Akeem Olajuwon" from the jump and they would have sold more records. Stupid Eddie Vedder.

Anyway, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is my pick.

duwende likes this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

36 Crazyfists

One of my favorite bands. Named after a Jackie Chan movie. There's only four guys in the band, not 18.

17. jo mama

by some of yalls standards the only appropriately named band in the history of music would be average white band.

arkoe likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

By far not a stupid name at all, was one of my faves back then along with Small Craft Advisory, Man or Astro-man?, and others. One of my college roommates in Austin back in the mid-90's had a Htown band called Magellan, at least I think that's how they spelled it.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

dude! Not me, I hope? I saw Jimi 4 times n every Black blues guitarist that gave me the chance, from Lightning Hopkins, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, to BB King, of course, along with guys I'm forgetting. Not just guitarists, either. Saw James Cotton & his band at a small club in Copenhagen in 1982 with my significant other, cause she had to see them (I'd seen them 2 or 3 times before).

I LOVE the blues. What helped was that 3-4 bands almost always played at concerts in the late '60's and through the '70''s, and there were often Black blues bands in lineup. And it was so cheap that a hippie like me didn't miss anything. Houston had a great blues scene in the clubs, anyway, and likely still does.

Sorry - I'm drinking beer at the green mesquite on Barton Springs using one finger on my phone

#59 Deckard, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Killatron 2000 and mikol13 like this.
  20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Echo and the Bunneymen - even lead singer Ian McColluch claims its cringeworthy