1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats the price to get Payton?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by emoreland, May 1, 2001.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

The Sonics came right out and said that they are cleaning house this off-season and everything must go apparently. They said Ewing isnt coming back and Baker and Payton are pretty much history. They did say, however, that it would take "quality personnel" to get Payon, but that he's defintely on the trading block.

I know we dont need another point guard because we have Frachise, but couldnt we make Payton the starting shooting guard? I mean, he's everything you could ever want in a guard...especially his DEFENSE. He would bring added toughness that this team desperately needs.

The only problem is, it would take Mobley and someone else to get Payton. I love Mobley on this team as much as anyone...but it means we get a special player like Payton in return....I say we go for it...the Rockets are known for pulling off MAJOR deals in the past, I really htink they could pull this one off without giving away too much.

------------------

Don't EVER underestimate the Heart of a CHAMPION!

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

errr......no thanks. Payton should hit his decline in just a few more years, while our starting 1 and 2 will only continue to get better and better together.

I know GP's defense is outstanding, but I wouldn't trade Cuttino for him. I'd hate to mess with the chemistry of Cat and Francis.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Not to mention Payton is a cancer. There's no way it would work with Payton on the Rockets. Rudy T is a player's coach, but we know he doesn't put up with s___ from his players. And Payton has a track record of thinking he's better than the coach. I wouldn't want Payton with the Rockets. And frankly, we don't need him. Our starting backcourt is already solid, just needs more experience.

------------------

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

If Gary hasn't grown up by now, what makes us think he will when he turns 33 ? He's a great player, but I really don't like him.

What was that ridiculous Cat and Steve for Payton rumor ? That was nonsense.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The guy is old and a punk. No thanks.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Payton is one of the greatest players in the league, but I don't want him, and I certainly don't want to pay for him. He's too old to fit in with the Rockets core. When everyone is ready to win a championship, he'll be retiring. I'd love to get him as a FA exception, but I wouldn't trade young talent or cap space to have him on for a little while.

We could certainly broker a 3-way trade though!

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

7. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Not to mention that, but didn't Payton once call Steve a "rookie b****" in an interview or something? I seem to remember something like that.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

8. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Payton is not a cancer. He is still one of the top PGs in the league, if not the best. It's not his fault that the owner and GM of the Sonics don't know how to build a team. It's not Payton's fault that the owner and GM ran off one of the very best coaches in the league. The Sonics management basically ran off Kemp while he was still one of the best PFs in the league. Why in the hell do you pay McIlvaine more than your star player and refuse to make it right? Why do you allow alcoholism rumours to continue when it is eveident that these false rumours are destroying his confindence and faith in his team? (Of course it was his own fault that he got so fat in Cleveland)

It would be nice to see Payton end up on the Bucks under Karl. Of course Sam might have a problem with that.

Payton's been through so much with that team and has come sooo close to actually winning it all.

------------------

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

Now there's an idea. Acquire the best point guard in the league (maybe second best) and play him at shooting guard. No offense emoreland, but if we acquired Payton, Francis is moving the SG - probably happen anyway.

------------------
    ..as a man danced so the drums were beaten for him.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

We'd have the NBA 1st Team All-Trash Talking Backcourt!

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

He's going to be a perfect player in Portland.

12. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Hate to be an echo, but the Glove is a great player who would be a terrible fit with the Rockets.
    There are, however, several teams that could use him. The Knicks might be an ideal situation for him, possibly swapping places with Allan Houston and maybe LJ? Especially if/after NY has another disappointing play-off run this year, they might aim for the league's most lethal backcourt in Spre and Payton. The combination of those two would give opposing coaches nightmares. Add in Mutombo (which isn't a stretch) and you're talking defensive team of the century.

Anyone remember when rumours were seriously swirling of Payton joining the Rocks in the summer of '96, the same year we acquired Charles? Had that panned out, the entire makeover of this team would be drastically different? Would we have had a third ring by now?

Azim da Dream

------------------
    Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.

http://www.clutchtown.com

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I thought we had our starting PG. Hey, Payton could play the SG slot.

He he he he!!!

------------------
    "You never know what might trigger someone to say jump off that bandwagon, which we like that they're on it."
    -Karl Malone, 1992 Barcelona Olypics, referring to the elbow Barkley threw at an Angolan player. WHAT did he say?

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Also read somwhere about Payton to Miami rumours, now that would be a nice back court of Glove and Jones, man you could run some nice zones with that combo and their front court of Zo, Dream, Mace and Grant

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

ENOUGH of trading Mobley for anybody! The Rockets are not going to be trading Mobley anytime soon. He signed as a free agent over here after excepting less money in the long run from someone else. The Rockets are not going to mess up their reputation of being loyal to their players. Another reason is that Rudy absolutely LOVES this guy. Him and Steve have the foundation to become one of the best backcourts in the history of the game. Why mess up that chemistry for anybody?!?!?!

------------------

16. TheSonicGuy

TheSonicGuy Member

First off, let me say definitively that Payton is not "definitely gone" as has been assumed in this thread (though of course it is a bit old). The Sonics have merely said that they will listen to offers for Payton. The odds of him being traded are not good, especially with the campaign launched by the KGP (see my sig).

Secondly, Payton actually did play point guard much of this season, as Rocket fans' old friend Emanual 'E-Mail' Davis played the point. A final move to two has been long rumored for Payton, and neither he or Francis is really a 'classic' point guard, honestly.

As for Payton's skill and value to a team, I'm sure my view is quite biased, but I still feel that (right now) he is a better player than Franchise, although it is close. Payton's skill has shown very little deterioration, and it would be hard to define a 'peak' in his game. I might even say his 99-00 season was his finest to date.

I think Payton's problems in the locker room have been overstated. If anything, they come out of frustration from losing, hardly a quality I can call a bad thing. The media and Gary hardly have a fond relationship, as I have found out all to well of late with regards to the KGP, and I think this hurts his public perception.

By the way, I doubt any of you guys remember this (based on previous comments), but Gary was supposedly very close to being traded to Houston in 91-92 with Benoit Benjamin for Hakeem and Kenny Smith. I can't believe either franchise is upset that trade did not go through. I was too young to personally have any feelings about it back then.

In conclusion, even if Gary were to be traded, he's not a good fit for the Rockets. You've got a young team that's growing, why mess up the chemistry of Cat and Franchise? Also in conclusion, please don't sign Marc Jackson ... we need him to don the green and the red next season.

------------------
    Keep GP Homepage

[This message has been edited by TheSonicGuy (edited June 12, 2001).]

17. rocketdude

rocketdude Contributing Member

if cat leaves then so will franchise and payton hates francis he said that he was just a cocky rookie and he had no respect for him after he got lit up by steve in a first quarter remember steve had 20 points in the 1 quater

------------------

18. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Wow, I remember this thread...

First off, welcome to the board, SonicGuy.

Neither Steve or Gary are "classic" point guards...agreed.

Gary is better than Steve...agreed. For now. I think if you look at raw ability and what the players are able to do, at this point in time, I'd give Gary the SLIM advantage. However, once again let me emphasize that Francis just finished his SECOND season, and neither one was really on with a team that had a TON of wins...I think Steve will continue to improve, and will surpass Payton in the next few years.

I really don't know about Payton being a distraction...I'll plead ignorance there, the only thing I know is what I read, and to be frank, it's not good. Do you think it's just that his teammates have been bad, and that's the reason that they haven't really gotten along with GP? As far as for THAT aspsect of the game, I have got to give the advantage to Steve, because, well, Payton has had disagreements and fights with his teammates, and Steve hasn't. But I would be curious if you could tell me WHY this is.

There is no WAY I want Payton on this team. I think Steve is nearly as good now and will be better soon than GP...not to mention the chemistry issues that you've already touched on...it's tough to see ANY team in the NBA as tightly-knit as the Rockets.

Again, Welcome. [​IMG]

------------------
    Jazzkiller

19. TheSonicGuy

TheSonicGuy Member

I probably wouldn't read anything into that. Payton kinda feels its his duty to shoot down cocky rookies (like Franchise was, though certainly with good reason). I recall from the book The Jordan Rules that MJ was kind enough to do the same for Payton, although GP struggled more as a rook by far.

------------------
    Keep GP Homepage

20. tozai

tozai Member

that is the dumbest idea i've ever heard...dont mess with a good thing
    with francis and mobley here, and everyone else concerned about the 3,4, and 5 spots, how could you be stupid enough to seriously consider that

------------------