1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the point of 'Rocket Run'?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mogrod, Jan 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

So, I'm looking into signing up my son and I for the Rocket Run this weekend which they promote benefits Autism Speaks. My son is autistic and thought it would be something fun he and I could do together that would also "help" a cause that hits close to home.

I go to register, which there is a $25-$30 fee per person for participating. Great. BUT, at the bottom of the registration page, it says, "Registration fee does not go towards Autism Speaks – Please consider and Donate to Autism Speaks!
    http://events.autismspeaks.org/rocketsrun"

Um, what? Maybe I'm missing something, but how exactly are they benefitting the organization? And, why wouldn't I just donate my money straight to them instead of getting up at the crack of dawn to run around the streets of downtown?

Again, I must be missing something.... right?

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

That does seem misleading, but I'm sure their approach is that they're using the event to "increase awareness".

3. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Exactly, and you will find that similar events are the same, most of the money raised in these evens does not go to charities. But the race is fun. :)

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Wow I never knew that, I've done this a couple times too. That's really unfortunate. Here I thought the money was going to a good cause...

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

it goes to buy kevin martin new shoes.

6. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

mogrod - you raise some good points - perhaps someone in the Rockets organization can respond.

If you are interesting in running for a good cause, my running club, Bayou City Road Runners, will be holding the second annual Alex's 5-K on Friday April 6 at 7 pm at Bear Creek Park. We are still working on the details, but last year registration was $25 and included race, t-shirt and bbq and beer (kegs of St. Arnold's and Katy's No Label last year!). Last year, in our first year, we gave a check for $10,000 to Autism Speaks. All costs of the race were either covered by BCRR or donated - all registration fees went to Autism Speaks. We have not selected the autism organization to benefit from the race this year. Any support or ideas are welcome.

We will be updating the website soon - alex5k.com.

Pipe

True too much of the time, but not always. :)

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

for $25 you get a T-Shirt, a Rockets ticket, food and drink at the post race event, plus they have to pay the staging costs of the event. My guess is there's a lot of sponsorship here because I doubt that covers it all.

And they encourage you to donate. So they will raise funds as well as awareness.

Seems like a pretty great event to me. It's expensive to run these things, especially when you add a bunch of swag. It's always more 'efficient' to donate directly -- except few people do.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

These things do cost money (i.e. cops to close down the streets, clean up, etc.) and that's what the registration fees are for. Its up to the participants to raise funds for the charity or donate money. Its the same thing for MS150, Race for the Cure, etc.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I'm not trying to come off like I'm bi***ing about it or anything. I've never participated in it before but it sounds like a good fun event to be a part of, especially with all the things you get from it (shirt, after party, voucher for a game, etc).

The money for all of that, and to put on the event in general, has to come from somewhere.

I'm just taken a back because I guess I always thought, when I read or heard that an event was benefitting a charity, that it meant that the money that the public puts into it goes directly into that charity to help its cause. I guess I was just wrong and don't know anything about how these things work and how they actually benefit the cause.

Thanks for the heads up Pipe. I'll keep an eye out for your event.