1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the deal with Jock Landale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Nov 7, 2023.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

I honestly never heard of him before we signed him, but apparently he was a serviceable backup big in Phoneix last year.

I'm not a doomer Rockets fan like everyone on Reddit seems to be, but as someone who isn't familiar with his game, please shed light on what I can expect out of this guy when he plays his way out of this slump. It's one thing if his shots aren't falling, but he's getting bodied down low and out-rebounded pretty handily by his matchup. What does he do well? Because right now he's looking like the white Cole Aldrich.

We need a rim-runner.

roslolian likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

He's still out of shape and out of sync after an ankle injury right before the season started. Last year he was one of the best backup centers in the league and outplayed the starter in front of him in the playoffs (Ayton).

After a 40 point win and the Rockets looking better than anyone could have dreamed this was the your first thought because there's nothing better to complain about?

Like, Sengun just metaphorically fathered Domantas, looking like the second coming of his daddy Arvydas, and your conclusion is that we need a "rim runner"? Steven Silas rolling over in his grave.

3. WestendMassive

He's still battling back to shape after a horror offseason. Came back early from a grade 2 ankle sprain to play for Australia in the World Cup and ended up doing a grade 3 on the other ankle 30 seconds into his first game back.

If he still looks like this at mid-season then that's a worry, but he just needs a chance to get his lift back and work his way into a completely new team where he doesn't really have a role other than setting picks and grabbing boards.

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

We should have kept Garuba

HamJam likes this.
  5. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

He will be fine

groovemachine and jacoby like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's just not in game shape. Still looks like he's worried about the ankle.

7. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

Landale isnt a NBA Player for me! He got 0 Skill and if Sengün be injured, the Rockets got a big Problem! So pray that he dont be injured!

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nothing serious. Just minor suckage.

Rokman, roslolian and jacoby like this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He will not lose a game for you. Hits his assignments like a pro and should eventually be able to knock down a three or two.

Let's be patient with him. The guy is a workhorse.

10. MultipleSauces

Get off his jock breh
    All jokes aside, he’s a decent backup center who possibly can start if alp is hurt or in foul trouble

groovemachine, BamBam and jacoby like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is my take. He looks hesitant to really bang in the paint and slower than I remember from watching him in the playoffs.

That said I still think it would be a good idea to pick up another backup big as soon as possible. If Jock can't get it together quickly or gets re-injured we clearly need somebody who can play.

Detroit has too many centers, maybe we become Wiseman's third team in as many years and see if Udoka can fix him.

Another alternative that jumps to mind if we want to go with a more scoring-oriented option would be a Kelly Olynyk reunion. We need shooters

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Introducing Big Problem Boban

[​IMG]

groovemachine and Easy like this.
  13. MystikArkitect

Reddit is like the Skid Row of basketball discussion.

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jock Yawndale is literally the only guy in the rotation that hasnt excelled.

Unfortunately, we dont have another big ready to replace him.

15. MystikArkitect

Still dealing with his ankle and had the concussion issue as well. Give him a little bit. Amen is out as is Tari so he's getting a little more exposed like Alpi was last year. He can hit the 3 and be an enforcer. Amen/Holliday/Tari/Tate/Landale is pretty solid defensively and can hold down the fort or even extend the lead when the starters are out.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Till end of the year I think is fair.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Geez, he just wanted to know about Jock, no need to be all grouchy that he wasn't celebrating out loud our victory. Lol.

jacoby and CXbby like this.
  18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I feel we should do more pick and pops with him

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He is not good and not worth the bag Stone gave him this summer……Merry Christmas……Santa Claus Stone

20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah he's coming back from injury. Give him some slack. He's exactly the sort of roleplayer I want on the team, no nonsense, knows his role and works his ass off to perform it. He might not have the talent of a Christian Wood offensively, but if it's my wallet I'm giving Jock the bag over that soft ass selfish waste of a roster spot.