1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would you upgrade?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobmarley, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

wardrobe malfunction

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm actually not a huge fan of the go-go boots. They looks cheesy. I would like to see more of a cowboy boot style. After all, they are Texans

i thought Sharpton was looking pretty well before his injury, but I do agree that overall LB depth is a need.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned QB. I'm not saying you draft one, but we were a veteran QB that can manage the game away from making the AFC Championship for the first time, and who knows from there.

Not only do we still not know how Schaub will perform in the playoffs, even giving him the benefit of the doubt that he'll perform as he does in the regular season, and hopefully avoid a costly pick 6 in the AFC Championship game or something like that, he has season ending injuries too often.

As good as the team is, all the talent gets you booted out of the playoffs regularly unless you have a QB. We could have 3 Andre Johnson's out there, if you get a QB that plays like Yates did last week in the playoffs, you are going to lose.

As of right now, they have:

Schaub - if healthy, ok, but need solid backups. wouldn't count on his health
    Leinart - not healthy, performance questionable / unknown
    Yates - gutsy, but upside limited, can he manage a team to a SB win?

I don't think Garcia/Delhomme are the answer, either, but a Garcia type like 4 or 5 years ago when the Titans signed him. Consider he wasn't the original starter there, he was supposed to backup and push VY.

Anyways, quarterback aside, I definitely agree with most - WR, CB are the biggest needs.

But I would also include K and Punter as needs (who knows how Hartmann will come back?)

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not. It's virtually impossible for the Texans to "upgrade" at QB this offseason. None of these backups seem better than what we already have behind Schaub. And I have no doubt the "backup QB" is not a place they want to invest a great deal of their modest FA money this offseason.

Hell, even next year it's almost out of the question (unless you want to entertain the idea of Flacco?)

2013 FA QBs:
    Joe Flacco – BAL
    Stephen McGee – DAL
    Matt Leinart – HOU
    Matt Schaub – HOU
    Kerry Collins – IND
    Curtis Painter – IND
    Tarvaris Jackson – SEA
    John Beck – WAS

If Matt is cleared physically, I expect him to get a contract extension. I expect Leinart to walk that offseason, and TJ to become our backup. We'll then sign a journeyman or draft a late rounder to be 3rd string.

If Matt craps out, I expect Leinart to be given an opportunity to play, but I think TJ will win the job outright and for Leinart to walk that offseason. Following that year, if TJ played well, we will sign a vet for depth and draft a late rounder to be 3rd string. If TJ played poorly, we will sign a decent vet (unlikely) or draft a highly rated QB prospect to compete with him. (more likely)

#24 DonnyMost, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

True, but you are assuming he's never going to get any better than he was last week. Remember, he's a rookie QB who doesn't even have a full training camp under his belt yet. And he wasn't even a backup until the week before he took over as starter, so he didn't even have the benefit of getting reps with the 2nd team in practice.

I'm not one of those people who thinks he's the next Tom Brady. I'm not even sure if he's ever going to be more than just a competent backup. But you have to think that this year can only HELP his development. Let's give him a full training camp and see what happens.

If this year proved anything, it's that the Matt Leinart experiment needs to be over.

6. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

the QB position isnt worth pursuing right now. Yates, although not pretty at times, did give you some confidence in his potential. Leinart, although we didn't see much, he is still a decent backup.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

They should replace this guy:
    [​IMG]
    With a cartoon version of Sam Houston.

8. JayZ750

If we have Superbowl potential, QB aside, which is not only rare generally, but extremely rare as a Houston fan, but QB is the one position that would hold them back... then I'd really really hate to squander that opportunity as a fan.

Am I hopeful Yates gets better? Of course.

I'm hopeful Schaub can stay healthy, too.

I'd just rather be prepared then cross my fingers. If there's no options, there's no options. David Garrard? I don't know.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Like I said, worry about QB depth next year. We'll know a lot more after then. But right now, it's really not an issue worth worrying about (both because there's no options and because we're set with 3 QBs under contract). If we lose Matt, our Superbowl window for 2012 effectively shuts. At which point, we can only hope either TJ progresses or we sign a QB that can lead us deep in 2013.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

From Texans Talk, here is the list of Texans FAs:

Jason Allen Defensive Back 2012: Free Agent
    Mike Brisiel Guard 2012: Free Agent
    Tim Bulman Defensive Lineman 2012: Free Agent
    Quintin Demps Defensive Back 2012: Restricted Free Agent
    Tim Dobbins Linebacker 2012: Free Agent
    Joel Dreessen Tight End 2012: Free Agent
    Arian Foster Running Back 2012: Restricted Free Agent
    Bryant Johnson Wide Receiver 2012: Free Agent
    Chris Myers Guard 2012: Free Agent
    Neil Rackers Place Kicker 2012: Free Agent
    Derrick Ward Running Back 2012: Free Agent
    Jon Weeks Center 2012: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
    Mario Williams Linebacker 2012: Free Agent

The Texans might have to draft for need if some of the above are not signed like Brisiel, Dreessen, Foster, Myers and Williams.

#30 No Worries, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

if any superbowl contender loses their starting QB, they are pretty much screwed. The texans are not in much of a different situation.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Take a small peanuts deal or best wishes
    Jason Allen Defensive Back 2012: Free Agent
    Tim Bulman Defensive Lineman 2012: Free Agent
    Quintin Demps Defensive Back 2012: Restricted Free Agent

Best Wishes
    Derrick Ward Running Back 2012: Free Agent
    Jon Weeks Center 2012: Exclusive Rights Free Agent
    Bryant Johnson Wide Receiver 2012: Free Agent
    Tim Dobbins Linebacker 2012: Free Agent
    Neil Rackers Place Kicker 2012: Free Agent

Resign at (nearly) all costs
    Mike Brisiel Guard 2012: Free Agent
    Arian Foster Running Back 2012: Restricted Free Agent
    Chris Myers Guard 2012: Free Agent

When the dust settles, resign if there's enough cap space left
    Joel Dreessen Tight End 2012: Free Agent
    Mario Williams Linebacker 2012: Free Agent

But I don't expect the Texans to see things exactly the same way I do.

13. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Almost completely agree, except I would move Mario into the at all costs group.

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think the texans cheerleaders are the ones that less show cleavage in the NFL.

16. blackistan

blackistan Member

wr along with kick returner/punt returner aka get rid of jacoby
    kicker because rackers cant seem to hit outside of 40-45 yards
    cb translation get rid of kareem
    ol depth
    lb depth

17. JayZ750

They're different because of the injury history of their starting QB. It shouldn't be a surprise if Schaub gets injured again.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Mr. Goal Line Stand? I didn't know anything about him until the playoffs but that dude made plays.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I actually like it. It's like the NFL's USC cheerleader look. Very tight tops can do the same thing without having to show cleavage. Now maybe not go all the way to the neck, but I think it works.

Like the boots, but just think cheerleaders in skirts totally trumps shorts.

20. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Call me crazy but unless Mario is willing to work with us we can't be selling out to keep him.

Prime example! Aso this summer Rick Smith deciding to pursue J JO and Manning versus just him with same amount of money. We should do the same thing this offseason but considering what we have already paid him and what our future looks like, never know we might get lucky.

Keep in mind we have to resign in the next 1-3 years Schaub, Brown, Cushing, Barwin