1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What would make you quit your job

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Aug 18, 2021.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

My job is stressful and it has impacted my health, in terms of not eating enough, feeling anxiousness, and unmotivated to wake up in the mornings. It’s at a prestigious company and I get paid very well. I also think I’m gaining lots of experience which makes me a better worker. There are days where I feel like I accomplished something, but there are (more) days where I feel overwhelmed and have to tell myself to tough it out.

I’ve been here for a year. I have no issues with my boss or my teammates. Do you think I should quit and find something else?

TWS1986 and BossHogg713 like this.
  2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I would say it's a happiness versus stress give and take.

Can you find something that pays equally, or close, that makes you happier and less stressed? Is the money worth the stress?

For me, I'm commuting over two hours, one way, per day. I do work from home between one and three days a week, so it's a trade off. I'm still learning the job, but eventually, there will be even more of a pay increase. I love the job though. It is overwhelming at times, as I'm learning, but I enjoy it.

Eventually, that drive should fall back to about 35 minutes one way. Until then, I'm biding my time, and I don't mind putting up with the drive because I enjoy the job, and working from home mitigates a lot of that.

What would make me quit?

Winning the lottery.

macho GRANDE and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Work.

Xerobull and boomboom like this.
  4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Finding another job that will pay as much and give me just as good benefits.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you're in a good situation...it might just be a mental thing. Maybe some sessions with an therapist might help you get realigned with your position and make it a more positive experience.

6. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

It's truly hard to say on this for sure. You're paid well and that's always a plus, but yet the stress is getting to you as well and that's also important to consider. What @boomboom suggested is very solid advice to try before quitting and/or finding something else (whatever you do, don't quit w/o lining something up... unless you can afford to be unemployed for a while potentially). See a therapist and try to work through your issues there. I see a therapist and it helps.

However, what REALLY helped me was getting the **** out of my old job and never looking back. I'm at a job now where I get paid well and the stress is less (that's kind of a rare combo though too). I couldn't be happier right now. Zero issues with teammates or my boss.

The solution ultimately is what's going to work for you. I'd say, see a therapist explain your triggers and working conditions/stresses, see what he/she says and then ask them if they'd recommend bouncing. At the end of the day, I b****ed to therapists for 8+ years of my working life and it wasn't until I found this job that I felt like things were good for me.

How have you dealt with this in past jobs by the way?

#6 TWS1986, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    boomboom and javal_lon like this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Your fancy company should have good benefits. Find a therapist and work it out.

Make time for it and learn how to set boundaries if you feel overworked

8. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

As to what would make me quit? Shitty teammates and or a shitty boss. Both of which I had at my last job.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Depends on your situation... Does the job help maintain your way of life? If so and you can't do without those things that you deem necessary , then tough it out and get a hobby that makes you happy.... From personal experience, my old job paid way more but I left because I felt the same way... Downgraded a few expenses( cash car, smaller home because my kids are all on their own) and I'm happier than ever thus far... Plus now I have time for myself... Hard decision but it's doable ...

TWS1986 likes this.
  10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know your circumstances but I can tell you that when you don't have a job due to quitting or resigning it is harder to get another job (why you left)

It is better to leave and find a new job while working at the other.
    Just hold on and look hard.
    Don't quit.

TWS1986 likes this.
  11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Don't quit and then try to find something else. Maybe update your resume and circulate it some while continuing your current job if you are curious. Use your personal resources and time for this. It sounds like your current job may get better with time so hang in there unless you find something much better.

Quitting can backfire quickly if you dont find something better within the time frame you need. I know a gentleman who has been looking for work for months and he is mega qualified in his field.

12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

The get a hobby that makes you happy never worked for me until I found our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. But seriously, people would tell me get a hobby a lot and I was like well... I do have hobbies. I play guitar. I walk my dog, watch TV, read books. Still was utterly miserable at my job. I'm still curious what hobby may have helped with my old job, but you know what? **** that job and everyone in that department :).

ROXTXIA and javal_lon like this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My goal had always been to retire before I hit 50. The financial collapse back around 2008 set me back a bit, but last year with COVID starting, I decided to retire because the reasons to retire outweighed the reason to stay. When I first got into "real jobs", I wanted to move up the corporate ladder and make more money. Somewhere around my early-to-mid 30's I convinced myself that that isn't worth sacrificing 50+% of your life for when you factor in an 8-to-12 hour workday + average drive time of 2-3 hours roundtrip (for me). I had always saved and invested money since my early 20's and focused on the end goal of retirement, so that helped. Looking at my finances last year, once I hit my "magic number", I was done. There's something to be said for waking up whenever you want, going to bed whenever you want, and having no pressure to really have anything done, and my God, not having to attend stupid meaningless meetings. Yes, even with COVID limiting my travel drastically, it's been worth it.

Before retirement, what made me quit my job was the usual dumb politics or just outright boredom with what was going on in the company. Stress was at pretty much most jobs I was at, so that was just part of it. Did it contribute to quitting in some cases? Yeah, but it was rarely the #1 reason. It's like the old saying about "grass isn't always greener on the other side", so if you go, make sure you're not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire (oooh, another cliche). For me, life became different in my 30s when my motto became something like "I only work hard so I don't have to work". lol.

pmac and Andre0087 like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Part of what I've learned over the years is that a high salary or potential status will pressure you to under value your own time, health, and worth. Managers prey on this energy and dangle 3-5% raise as a reward. It's different when there are performance bonuses or commission, but that's still on you to decide whether that extra assignment is worth the stress.

Just a reminder that you made it. Maybe you wanted good references or a better career track. Something happened that is giving you second thoughts.

I would honestly reassess the work you already put in. What value can you list that you can proudly take credit for? Were you doing a great job but feel insecure that spending more time was necessary? Can you do more with less? Are expectations so high you feel like you can't say no?

If you're thinking about quitting, I'd learn to take the foot off the gas pedal. Explain how you feel stressed and how your life is impacted. First be diplomatic by outlining if you add this responsibility then your existing assignment will be later. It'll start off slow because you bit off more than you could chew but that will at least give you some mental relief.

The job market is tight so there is pressure to keep talent. The company isn't always against you and will mostly work with you. Even if you have a toxic manager, learn to respect yourself and your time or history will repeat tself sooner or later.

Then you can pause a little and see that therapist you've been holding off from

ElPigto likes this.
  15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You have to weigh everything out with happiness, lifestyle, income, and what next. You are stressed out, overworked, not eating, anxious, and unmotivated. It might be pointing for you to exit. You got the prestige and experience you should be able to get a similar position, perhaps running your own company for something related. Maybe, a personal interests of yours.

Hope you get better.

FrontRunner likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

As someone who deals with unmotivated people, my advice is to either get motivated or move on. For every ones sake. You're ripe for a layoff and its better to get cemented somewhere where you're happy.

You might feel well paid, but the market is hurting for skilled motivated people. For the stress you're enduring, you might discover you're underpaid.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

If my money gets ****ed with, I'm gone

Bono and TWS1986 like this.
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Pay is #1 for me. If that gets messed with or that gets stagnant then I'll leave.

In my industry its not uncommon to take sabbaticals (unpaid, paid if generous), I took one myself a while ago.

I would recommend only quitting without a job lined up if your mental health is getting seriously wrecked and only if you have a comfortable emergency fund to live off of.

ROXTXIA and TWS1986 like this.
  19. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Bingo.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Millions of jobs out there. Start looking now.