1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Would Happen If The Rodney King Incident Happened Today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jun 4, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Aside from death, I still believe it's the most egregious example of police brutality ever captured on video. He just survived.

Looking at how the media has reacted to the George Floyd video I think we have improved as a society in our view of how police should treat everyone with civility.

B@ffled likes this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Are you asking what would happen if Rodney King happened after what we saw happen to GF? The country would implode. Every white nationalist racist would be celebrating that they finally got their race war. God help us all if that happened.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Just in general terms of how that video was viewed. One thing about it, the mainstream media was pretty universal in believing those officers were wrong and they were charged

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think if Rodney King happened today with the not-guilty verdicts of those LEO we would see pretty much the same thing.

RayRay10, King1 and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

all hell would break loose

they had better get successful convictions for all of these officers, and they better be spending decades behind bars or these protests and riots would’ve been just an appetizer

6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Yep it will be a complete shitshow if not

Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

What would happen if I took a sheit and didn't wipe my Ashe before hooping!

I guess a shitty mess!

8. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The scary part is what would Trump do. If you think his reactions so far have been unpresidential think how bad it would be now with this so called “law and order” president

conquistador#11 and RayRay10 like this.
  9. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

What difference does it make if it’s King, Floyd , Mcduffie etc? Looters and rioters are going to do their things. These people could care less about the names mentioned above. If they truly care about black lives, racial injustice, they would have done something about blacks being murdered by other blacks, particularly the war zones of Chicago, Baltimore and their politicians look the other way. Did you ever hear a beep out of these protesters, looters when dozens of blacks are killed out of these areas every weekend? Have you ever asked these looters what exactly do they want when they’re running away with an Xbox? Most of them don’t give two shiet about Rodney King, George Floyd or anyone else. They just want some free stuff without paying for it. If we are honest, we have to call them out for who they really are.

JumpMan and B@ffled like this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You mean it's still possible for things to get worse?

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Kevin Love didn't even like Minnesota.

This is how I felt after Aaron Hernandez committed suicide.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This had some magic when it was done in GARM.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I wasn't referring to the verdict. I was referring to the general sentiment about the video.

I really was surprised in years following how many people supported the police. The mainstream media really didn't talk too much about what led up to him getting beaten but I guess the conservative media really focused on that

14. adoo

adoo Member

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

To me it is amazing how little has changed since the Watts Riots of the 1960's when it comes to this issue. Police reform has been for the most part window dressing, with a few departments making significant progress-- including Houston which back in the day was a national poster frequently on the national news as a poster child for violent, racist policing.

conquistador#11 likes this.