1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will the media narrative be when Melo scores 20ppg efficiently

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Sep 22, 2018.

?

If Melo scores 20 ppg efficiently this season, what will the media say?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2018.
  1. He is still washed up, hes only good because CP3 and Harden made him so, kinda like Capela

55.3%
  2. He is and always was very good

9.4%
  3. He was never good and he still isn't good

7.1%
  4. He was bad in OKC but now he was motivated , practiced over the summer and become good again

28.2%
  1. topfive

topfive CF OG

My guess is the narrative will revolve around how MDA's system can make anyone look great, even Melo.

"Here's the real question: In light of Melo doing so well in this system, should we rethink giving Harden that MVP last year?"

#21 topfive, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They would say.

Nothing special as an Allstar is supposed to post those numbers and beyond that. Even as the 3rd option on O.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"You could plug anyone into MDA's system"

yeah, nice call

topfive, rocketman84 and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The same narrative they do every night,

He is too fat and can’t play defense.

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think melo is gonna have a good year - despite what his detractors (incl on this board) say... I'm seeing 17-20 pts with a decent %... and I'm thinking an uptick in rebounds playing more extensively at pf... along with a decent number of assists via shuttle passes to CC for dunks...

It's gonna be because:
    A) This is where he wants to be - he chose to come here... he picked his teammates in Harden and CP3.. he's gonna feel an obligation to those guys...
    B) He's faced adversity and downturns at this point - so I think he will be more receptive to being coached... as opposed to his past confrontations with MDA
    C) Harden will be the focal point of defenses - giving him more open looks and less need of forcing shots... He can be more relaxed without the pressure of being the guy...
    D) CP3 feeding him the ball for open look shots...
    E) This year is his audition for his next (and prob last) free agent contract in the off season... so he'll be hella motivated to make it work...

It's gonna be a feel good story... the narrative will be something like "He's finally found a home where he can be comfortable as a contributor to the team and just play the game - as opposed to having the weight of the organization on his shoulders... Sure he kinda had that role in OKC - but a 27M/yr contract brings pressure and expectations - as opposed to the vet min... and he didn't have the benefit of being in an MDA highly efficient system.."

It's gonna be a good year! :)

jcf and hakeem94 like this.
  6. bongman

bongman Member

Would probably be helpful is an agreement of what effective means. Am sure everybody has their own viewpoint.

7. jcf

jcf Member

Last year looks like the anomaly. I'm betting he didn't fall off the cliff in one year, and it was more how he was asked to play and with whom. I'm calling 20 ppg.

PWR likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Except that Melo did play in MDA's system once and MDA didn't end well with that stint.

heypartner likes this.
  9. PWR

PWR Member

Ariza averaged 10 shot attempts per game.
    Anderson averaged 7 shot attempts per game.
    Moute averaged 6 shot attempts per game.
    So, that's 23 shot attempts that need to be made up...

Melo will get 16-17 of those. (That's been his average shot attempts the past 3 years; he was an all star for 2 of those years until he met Westbrick and his attempts went down).

Melo averaged 22 ppg on 18 attempts the 2 yrs prior to OKC...I expect him to do similar numbers in Houston. So, 20 ppg shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

jcf likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

How many 34 yo 3rd or 4th options y’all know averaging 20 ppg?

GotGame15, GermanRoxFan and YOLO like this.
  11. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

They're going to say he's a system player

Dropped the ball OP...where's that option?

12. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Dantonis system inflated stats

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. rocketseagles07

Bruh! biggest thing is I don’t even want melo averaging that much because that means he’s taking too many shots!

1st option- beard
    2a./2b. CP3/Clint pick and roll
    4th option- EG
    5th- Melo

BaselineFade, YOLO and Reeko like this.
  14. motleydeflep6

motleydeflep6 Member

Narrative will be James Harden has too much help to be MVP

BigggReddd, rocketman84 and DonKnock like this.
  15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The narrative would be something like “we have nothing to say about Carmelo because we’re busy covering the more interesting story of hell freezing over”.

heypartner, BaselineFade and Easy like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course!
    Ariza averaged 34 minutes per game.
    Anderson averaged 24 minutes per game.
    Moute averaged 24 minutes per game.
    So, that's 82 minutes per game that need to be made up... Melo to the rescue.

#NewMath

heypartner and TheFreak like this.
  17. PWR

PWR Member

You do realize our 6th man (EG) averages 14 shot attempts in 31 minutes per game.

Is it so unbelievable that Melo, a 12 time all-star, will average 17 shot attempts in 30 minutes per game? Especially with most of his playing time coming when Harden and Capela are on the bench.

We got rid of 23 shot attempts per game (Ariza, Ryan, & Luc). You better believe most of those are going to Melo. You know, the guy that is 22nd on the all time scoring list.

No new math is needed. Just common sense.

#37 PWR, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Carmelo is 34 years old and has never been known as a guy who takes great care of his body. We have to be realistic.

His age and lack of conditioning will be a factor. I didn't bother to look up any stats, but I know what happens to NBA players when they reach the mid 30's range. It gets hard to watch. He will only get slower and less athletic. His all star appearances and where he is on the all time scoring list is irrelevant.

This is not a knock on Melo.Dude is just getting older. I saw it happen to players like Kobe and D Wade who were also prolific scorers in their prime. I watched happen to Dream, and as a lifetime Rockets fan of was hard to except. But it's a reality of the game.

I'm rooting hard for Melo to make a impact and bring more variety to our offense. But if he is taking over 17 shots per game at his at this age we may be in trouble. E.G. Should get more attempts per game.

What LeBron is doing at his age is amazing, but he is the exception, not the rule. LBJ is a workout warrior but even his time is coming.

If Melo averages 20 ppg efficiently and plays suitable defense it would amazing.

Just not likely

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Except 75% of ClutchFans.

BigggReddd likes this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not disputing your expectation of how many shots Melo is going to take. But your math of adding those three guys' shots is just absurd. They don't play on the court at the same time. Melo, on the other hand, always plays on the court with himself. For Melo to shoot that amount of shots, some other players will have to shoot less. Losing Ariza, Anderson and Moute does not give him all their shots unless he plays all their minutes combined, which is of course impossible.

gaspar likes this.