1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. myco

myco Contributing Member

EV price drops have got me considering them for the first time. Coming from an Audi sportback which I love driving but do not love maintaining, what would those in know recommend? BMW i4 edrive40 seems like a good comparison. Mach-e is intriguing as well, though I hear its infotainment is inconsistent. And apologies, I'm not interested in a Tesla nor do I have any insight to offer regarding its stock price.

B-Bob, ryan_98 and Sajan like this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Go through this list.
    https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g32463239/new-ev-models-us/

BMW i4 is a solid option. Pretty good leasing rates too.

The iX I ordered is arriving at the dealership tomm...gonna try to see if they will hold true to their promises as far as pricing..if all goes well, should have it by friday.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm an old, so I don't know exactly what is needed for infotainment in a car or why you would want more than music and maps, but the audio sounds great in my Mach-E. Part of it is due to the fact that the car is so quiet--only well-dampened wind noise, no ICE motor noise. The nav system seems OK to me and I like that the full map is on the main screen but directions appear on the dash display so you don't need to look down to know when to turn. Also, I do play one of the games on occasion when I choose to not go into a craft store with my wife.

myco and Ubiquitin like this.
  5. TDRocketsFan

TDRocketsFan Member

Only if it's a Porsche Taycan)

desihooper and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Good call, I'm happy with mine.

Sajan likes this.
  7. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

This was super helpful. Thanks for posting this up!

Sajan likes this.
  8. Sajan

Sajan Member

ryan_98 likes this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

what about eF eS Deee

ryan_98 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Some of you guys explain to me how Tesla suing to move 2000 acres of property out of Austin city limits so HE can do whatever he wants with it is a net good for the City of Austin or the State of Texas?

I don't like to do this, but it's important so here's the whole non-paywall article out of Houston, there's others in Austin and such:

https://archive.ph/HvD2N

This is after how many corporate tax and money inducements just to get them to move there in the first place.

Oracle just bailed out of Austin for Nashville, btw. Tesla cut 10% of it's global workforce.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Lie with dogs, get fleas.

[​IMG]

deb4rockets, Sajan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Yep...that other colloquialism about "lipstick on a pig" seems kind of appropriate here too.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The used market prices have got me re-considering too.

I need a mid-to-small size SUV for the wife... I'm skeptical but the Model Y or that Q4 e-tron might cut it.

myco likes this.
  14. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Hertz is unloading another 10k used vehicles...funny for them to underestimate the frequency of electric car rental. :D

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How do you feel about used EVs in general? I'm also a little tempted by the Mach E if prices keep going lower.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

EV's are expensive to repair, especially out of warranty. Something that has not caught on in the EV industry is that EV's shouldn't be measured by the odometer, but instead by kWH hours used.
    An owner who goes by the 40/60 rule (dont let it get below 40% or over 60%) will likely have a great battery life that could last 500k plus 'miles', vs the owner who is doing a 10/100 (Uber/rentals) ... could be replacing their battery at 100k miles. I generally do not recommend used EV's unless you know if its well take care. I go by the 20/80
    Also extreme acceleration isn't good for the car either and shouldn't buy one where the driver is riding the car hard day in and day out.

Sajan and mtbrays like this.
  17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Behind the scenes: The company is getting $175 million in tax breaks from Nashville and $65 million in economic incentives from the state — approved by policymakers in 2021 — to set up its Tennessee campus, per the Tennessean.

Re Tesla,
    kinda rich for an environmentally conscious company to want less environmental regulations..

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. Sajan

Sajan Member

I had a 2021 e-tron....(which I believe they renamed it to Q8 e-tron..?)
    210 mile range. good city car but definitely not enough to even get to Austin without range anxiety.

Q4 seems like an odd ball car.

19. Buck Turgidson

"Welfare Queens" strike again!

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That sounds completely impractical. You'd be looking at a range of what, 60 miles between each charge?

Also, I cannot find "kWH used" stats on any used car sites. Not even Carmax (which usually tells you the most).

https://www.carmax.com/car/25607677