1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What We Now Know About The Men Who Led The Impeachment Of Clinton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, May 31, 2015.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I truly think the impeachment of Clinton was the genesis of the modern day hatred and distrust of the two parties.

story

On December 19, 1998, the House of Representatives impeached Bill Clinton on two charges related to his extramarital affair with Monica Lewinsky. (The charges were for perjury and obstruction of justice.) The historic vote, and subsequent trial in the Senate, involved the work of three men who were elected Speaker of the House Of Representatives by the Republican majority, Newt Gingrich, Bob Livingston and Dennis Hastert.

Almost 17 years later, with the federal indictment of Hastert for illegally concealing up to $3.5 million in hush-money, we finally have a more complete understanding of the men who led this effort.

Newt Gingrich

Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-GA) led the push for Bill Clinton’s impeachment. Following a disappointing election in November 1998, he announced he was stepping down as Speaker and resigning from Congress.

Gingrich later admitted that, while he was pushing for Clinton’s impeachment, he was engaged in an affair with a Congressional aide. “There were times when I was praying and when I felt I was doing things that were wrong. But I was still doing them,” Gingrich said in 2007. He later said the situation was “complex and, obviously, I wasn’t doing things to be proud of.”

Bob Livingston

After Gingrich announced his resignation, Republicans unanimously selected Rep. Bob Livingston (R-LA) to succeed him. Livingston represented the party as Speaker-elect in the led up to the impeachment vote.

On the day of the impeachment vote, Livingston announced he was resigning following revelations that he had engaged in an extramarital affair. According to Hustler Magazine Publisher Larry Flint, who offered a reward for information about the sex lives of members of Congress, he “found four women who said they had been involved with Mr. Livingston over the last 10 years.”

Dennis Hastert

Following Livingston’s resignation, which occurred on the same day the House voted on impeachment, Rep. Dennis Hastert (R-IL) quickly gained support of the Republican leadership to succeed him as Speaker-designate. He began formally serving as speaker in January 1999, and held that role while the Senate conducted their trial on the articles of impeachment.

On Thursday, Hastert was indicted on charges that he illegally structured $1.7 million in payments to an individual in an attempt to cover up prior misconduct. According to reports, the payments were allegedly intended to “conceal sexual abuse against a former male student he knew during his days as a teacher in Yorkville, Ill.” The LA Times also reported that “investigators also spoke with a second man who raised similar allegations that corroborated what the former student said.”

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I thought that whole impeachment was stupid.

Always thought Clinton was a cool guy. No idea why he got married to such an overly ambitious nerd.

Also:

[​IMG]

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay....so what though? He was still guilty of perjury and obstruction of justice right? Guilty enough for him to be disbarred over the matter.

Is there really anyone who thinks that politicians on either side of the aisle are honest or strictly law abiding people? Does that mean that they shouldn't be punished for it when they get caught?

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I would hope so.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No less than in any other business, community or organization. Reflexively resenting or mistrusting authority actually prevents one from understanding, operating within and fully utilizing bureaucracies, and creates a self-fulfilling prophecy of disenfranchisement.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Clinton was impeached for perjury, which people get charged/convicted with all the time, and which he did do (he was disbarred for it).

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OP, IMO, the October Surprise in 1980 was the turning point of congressional hatred against the office of the president. From 1968-1992 Republicans dominated the presidency. For a 40-year period from 1955-1995, Dems dominated both houses of congress. It was to the point I couldn't imagine the Dems ever losing a congressional majority while the GOP always held the trump card in presidential elections (save for Jimmy Carter's one failed term).

The October Surprise investigations were vicious and over-the-top. In my (short-sighted) view at the time, Dems didn't seem like they even cared about the presidency anymore since they weren't going to win it. Congress was their "permanent" base of power.

The public facade put on by the Clinton administration during the Lewinsky investigation was disgusting.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I say the same to both of you, I don't believe naivete benefits anyone. If you want to walk around believing that politicians....any of them, are actually looking out for your best interest over their own then you are setting yourself up for disappointment and failure.

It's one thing to support those politicians whose rational self interest leads to policies that you support, but if you really think that ANY politician is above corruption....I just don't know what to tell you.

The Clintons are horribly corrupt, so are those politicians who would seek to expose them, so are those politicians who support them.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

As the result of a tangential, redundant line of questioning in a redundant, tangential investigation, and which the original plaintiff's consulting attorneys admitted was planted to eventually scandalize and sabotage the President.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Considering that's not what I said, I would certainly agree that you don't know what to tell me.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so now we're justifying perjury because the prosecutor was out to get him? Well why didn't you say so? I'm sure tons of people in jail for perjury right now would love to know that it's okay to lie under oath if it's to protect their image.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Bill Clinton lied under oath. That's inexcusable.

/thread

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

nah, I excuse him, bygones.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The DNC incumbent resigned in the middle of the longest and most unpopular war in the 20th century, their frontrunner was shot in a hotel kitchen by an occultist Arab; the GOP candidate undercut peace negotiations during the first election, laundered campaign funds to break into the opposing party's headquarters during the second election, and wholly subverted the criminal justice process during his second term, then his replacement pardoned him and never got elected. Reagan dominated the presidency from 1980 - 88, but nobody was really dominating anything the twelve years beforehand.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, we're exploring the narrative and evidential context in which the questions were asked.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Sorry I don't care if a a republican or democrat lies about porking a chubby intern. It is just a distraction from more important issues. You can feel differently and I respect that.

1 person likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's exactly the way I see it.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All irrelevant, if he wasn't the president, he'd have gone to jail for it.

I don't care if it's a Republican or Democrat getting caught breaking the law, they should be punished for it. Obstruction of justice and perjury are serious crimes that numerous people do time for and the ONLY reason Clinton didn't was because of political protection preventing justice from being served.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If he wasn't the President, he wouldn't have been asked in the initial suit, and he certainly wouldn't have had to answer it again in an Independent Counsel investigation that was originally about previously adjudicated matters.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

iirc the perjury occurred during the deposition for the sexual harassment charge brought by Paula Jones, yes?