1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was Tom Cruise's last good movie?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 22, 2018.

1. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

that your opinion or fact?

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

That's a fact. There are countless instances where he's taken advantage of what amounts to slave labor within the church's "sea org" class. Like when he took the Sea Org vessel Freewinds to celebrate his 42nd birthday...

You can brush up on all of the Freewinds controversy your heart could ever desire here - https://tonyortega.org/2018/10/10/s...nds-why-ot8-needed-to-be-delivered-off-shore/

One "sea org" member's story - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ied-Scientology-ship-girl-cleaned-sewage.html

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I love Tom Cruise. He make good ass fun movies.

I want to hate on him because of the scientology stuff but he still busts his ass in his movies.

Svpernaut, Jontro and joeson332 like this.
  4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Scientology seems stupid, but Tom Cruise makes great movies, MI 6 was a hell of a cool ride.

Svpernaut, Deckard and joeson332 like this.
  5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Wait honest question especially to the older crowd, did ya'll really not like Mission Impossible Fallout? Hands down one of the better scripted, acted, driven action flicks in a while.
    Tom Cruise owned that role.
    Will admit to have not seen The Mummy and I don't plan on.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I just saw Edge of Tomorrow last month and was surprised of how it was, strong 8/10

Recently bought Rain Man and A Few Good Men. Hoping to catch them at home this week.

Deckard likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, If this is the worst thing going for Scientology, they might be one of the least malicious religions.

8. Entropy

Entropy Member

I haven't seen the latest Mission Impossible, but Edge of Tomorrow and the Mummy were great movies.

#88 Entropy, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  9. Entropy

Entropy Member

Hah, if my memory serves me correctly Harlan Ellison claims that he and his writer friends made a joke about creating a new religion, and L Ron Hubbard who was drinking with them at the time was like, "That's brilliant!" and ran away with the idea. Ellison years later would write to Hubbard complaining about it.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Felt his career has been a speedy Cruise.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

The Scientology stuff really got a lot of people looking at him as a complete lunatic.

I havent seen the new MI movie yet. I refused to watch it in the theaters because 1) around the time moviepass was having their crazy issues and 2) I felt that trailer was literally on every movie for 6 months and got so sick of seeing the trailer that I did not want to watch that movie anytime soon.

Otherwise I did enjoy Fallout and I loved Edge of Tomorrow a lot. He definitely had a dip in his career around the Scientology stuff but he has bounced back actually really well imo for being an older action movie star.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When I first heard about how Scientology was devised, it was that Hubbard, drinking in a bar with longtime friend Robert A. Heinlein (widely known for decades as the Dean of Science Fiction, being both highly influential and successful - Hubbard was not at the time - it was the 1940's), were talking about SF, religion, and other things, with Hubbard saying that he was tired of making "a penny a word" writing science fiction, when the real money could be made creating a religion. He said he could do just that, and was writing something along those lines (which became Dianetics).

Supposedly Heinlein, who was agnostic, bet that he couldn't pull it off. Heinlein's wife of 40-odd years repeated the story several times. It has been declared false, and declared true. Personally, I've always believed it. I began reading Heinlein back in the late 1950's and have read everything he's written (the later work is a mixed bag), which I thought worth mentioning. See below:

As per Wikipedia article on bar bets (... from the "last places you'd think to find things" category :)

It is widely believed that the creation of Scientology was the result of a bar bet between L. Ron Hubbard and Robert A. Heinlein. The story says L. Ron Hubbard dared that he could create a religion all by himself. According to Scientology critic Lindsay this is "definitely not true", no such bet was ever made, it would have been "uncharacteristic of Heinlein" to make such a bet, and "there's no supporting evidence". However, several of Heinlein's autobiographical pieces, as well as biographical pieces written by his wife, claim repeatedly that the bet did indeed occur.

This isn't a discussion about religion, btw. It's a discussion about conversations in bars. :cool:

#92 Deckard, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Invisible Fan and daywalker02 like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

what was tom's last movie prior to joining scientology?

14. Entropy

Entropy Member

I found the interview where Ellison talks about his version of events. The two versions don't necessarily invalidate the other, and Ellison is ambiguous about where exactly they all were, but it definitely could have been in a bar.

http://www.xenu-directory.net/mirro...asy.se/www.users.wineasy.se/noname/harlan.htm

Deckard likes this.
  15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Him making movies and him believing in a religion are two non overlapping areas. If you don't like his movies or acting that's fine, but it is disingenuous to say you don't like his movies as a clever way to avoid being called a bigot.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

scientology is no illuminati tho.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

How much science is in there? Hope they get to use phasers otherwise no fun in that.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

tom cruise is basically pure science. no way he could do all those stunts at age 70 and still look 30.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has reserved himself a cryo chamber somewhere.

[​IMG]

#99 daywalker02, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

he's also probably half machine by now. you can tell parts of that machine malfunctioned a bit in oprah.

daywalker02 likes this.