1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was Tom Cruise's last good movie?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Plus, Emily Blunt.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Plus Bill Paxton

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Tom Cruise gets a lot of flack for his Scientology beliefs and all that is deserved because of the shady practices that lower level members have endured during their time in it and what they put up with when they leave it. But, Tom Cruise may not be who he is without Scientology. I believe it helped Tom fulfill his potential in a way he wouldn't have otherwise. If it motivates him, then that is his deal. Same goes for John Travolta. If it helped them, then it helped them no matter how strange it is.

Also, we all know Tom gets special treatment as maybe the most famous actor in Hollywood and, as a result, as a member of Scientology. The idea that his experience is the same as what regular members endure is an obvious fallacy. Same for other actors that are involved. They are the royalty of the religion.

But, to my knowledge, there hasn't been anyone Tom has worked with in Hollywood on a professional basis who has bad-mouthed Tom specifically for his involvement with Scientology. He is the consummate professional on set. I don't think he is peddling his beliefs on other actors and people he works with. These are actors that he invites over to workout with him and get to know for filming and such. So, he knows when to reign it in and keep it all business. As far as I know, most of these famous actors in this "religion" aren't actively trying to seduce those they work with to get in the religion...unless they inquire about it probably. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily apply to people he has relationships with. But, work seems to be work with Tom. I believe his success lies in knowing how to separate the job from his "religion".

As far as I'm concerned, Tom can buy into Scientology all he wants. Why do we care? Our interaction with him is one of entertainment watching him on-screen as a professional actor/stuntman. And, that's all I care about. It does get kind of weird when he goes jumping on Oprah's couch and lashing out at Matt Lauer about people who have mental disorders not needing drugs...but I honestly don't care what his antics or opinions are as long as he is doing his job well and we get entertainment out of it. He obviously knew he was out of line doing those things and reigned it in for his image's sake. He's got a weird side to him for sure. But, he's also a very successful person who aspires to be great in everything he does. And, Scientology likely feeds into how he turned out because he believes it. Whether we believe it or not is irrelevant.

4. Svpernaut

Because Scientology is a cult that does tremendous harm to the vast majority of its "members," and Tom has profited from their suffering immensely. Look, I think Tom is a tremendous actor, but that doesn't change the fact a giant part of his life is pathetic and despicable.

eric.81 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Surfguy

I'm not sure how he has profited from it. I can't really speculate about his private life because I have no idea what his days entail when he's not working. All I can say is his involvement and belief in Scientology is very strange. Yea...he is hob-knobbing around with the current leader of that cult and he got a medal for whatever. But, Tom is probably brainwashed just like other members are. Granted, he suffers no harm with his involvement because of who he is. He may very well be pathetic and despicable in real life. But, you're saying that is guilt by association. You would have to apply that to all the others who were brainwashed into that religion as well. I just can't make that leap. We don't really know.

#65 Surfguy, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't get this attitude at all, with all due respect. It's the guy's "religion." I think the "religion" is a farce, made up due to a bet in a bar in the '40's between famous SF writer Robert Heinlein and L. Ron Hubbard over drinks. So what? I'm not religious at all, but I simply don't care what religion Cruise is or the guys picking up our garbage once a week. And "damage?" Scientology would have to stand in line. They are far from the only one that word could be used on.

7. Svpernaut

The Church of Scientology's actions are well documented. They take money from the common members, to build up the rich members as the face of their organization... I encourage you to read the book and watch the documentary "Going Clear." You'll have a different understanding of just how terrible the COS is. Tom Cruise has also not only enabled, but defended the COS leader and absolute madman, David Miscavige.

Cruise's production company is closely tied to the church, and funding most certainly has been gained from the church. This is not your common religion, it is a violent, vindictive, oppressive, corrupt and modern slave owning organization

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've read about them for years and I simply don't care. As for Cruise's production company, he certainly doesn't need the Church of Scientology to help him with his film career, in my humble opinion. Also, we have to be careful here. Religion is a topic more for D&D than Hangout.

9. Svpernaut

The only people who consider the COS a religion, are members of the COS. By literally every metric, it is a cult.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not a discussion we should have here.

11. Buck Turgidson

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?

I thought about replying the same thing to your last post, said no, then saw that.

12. Surfguy

Drama queen much? I don't appreciate being screamed at like that in all caps with an expletive. That said...I apologize for the drama queen comment.

Sorry I derailed the thread. My intent of my original post was not to dissect Scientology as much as it was to dissect how Tom Cruise came to be one of the greatest actors / stuntman (debatable to some I guess) Hollywood has ever seen, his professionalism on sets with the intent to make the best movies possible with some of the craziest stunts ever performed, and where he gets his inspiration and motivation from (he obviously gets off on entertaining audiences but there has to be more to it than that deep down). As to the profitability of who benefits more (and how)...Scientology having him as a member given his stature (at the possible detriment to the regular people that are recruited because he is a member (so it must be a good move to join))...or Tom Cruise from Scientology (and exactly how given he's rich from a successful movie career and doesn't need a dime from them; or, however you think it is profitable for him given you are intimately knowledgeable in how he profits)..that debate belongs in the D&D obviously. I went a bit off the movie topic and I apologize for that.

#72 Surfguy, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Deckard likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Svpernaut and B-Bob like this.
  14. Surfguy

I'm only slightly less inclined to bash your head with a baseball bat if we ever met. But, thanks for toning it down anyway.

15. Buck Turgidson

Wood or metal? I'd hate to mess up my wood signed by Jose Cruz. I've been swinging a Mariucci Cat 8 recently. Back in the day it was an Easton.

16. Surfguy

Louisville Slugger...from my playing days.

17. Buck Turgidson

That's an heirloom, keep that in your closet. I'll loan you a better one.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

To take a step back from Scientology, while most of TC's movies aren't cinematic gold, I find him and his movies generally entertaining and worth the watch. I am a sucker for anything science fiction tho.

Deckard and Svpernaut like this.
  19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

just watched Magnolia for the first time last night actually...

cruise can act his ass off...no question about it. dude was incredible in his role.

someone care to explain the ending with the frogs? reading around looks like its a bible reference?

Deckard likes this.
  20. Svpernaut

The Edge of Tomorrow is a sci-fi classic... but Oblivion is one of the most underrated sci-fi films ever in my opinion. I've probably watched it 20 times by now. The amazing score by M83 doesn't hurt either.

NewRoxFan, Deckard and Big MAK like this.