1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of player to target with 2024 Nets pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by peleincubus, Jul 27, 2023.

1. J Rock

J Rock Member

I would be happy with Dalton Knecht. His skill set is exactly what we need for floor spacing. Some people complain about his age, but I personally don’t see 23 as negative. I think being more of a finished product makes it easier to trust what to expect from him out on the court.

clutchdabear and saleem like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I went to Baylor. I’m a Baylor fan. I’m also a Rockets fan. I don’t want Missi on the Rockets.

saleem, Aruba77 and No Worries like this.
  3. j@amc

j@amc Member

A new mock (4/24/24) from CBS Sports' Kyle Boone has Clingan falling to the Rockets at #9. While he'd be hard to pass on, I have my doubts that Clingan will be on the board when the Rockets select. Boone also has Memphis and Utah taking Kentucky guards Dillingham and Shepphard at #7 and #8, respectively. Kody Williams and Dalton Knecht fall to numbers 14 and 16 in his mock.

This draft seems to have a glut of guys on the wing that are hard to evaluate (which I would group in no particular order as Risacher, Castle, Buzelis, Holland, Williams, Salaun, and Knecht). My best guess is that over time, GMs will value players with more length and projected upside. I can't imagine Kody Williams falling to #14.

For now, it seems conservative to project a top 6, including Sarr, Dillingham, Topic, and Shepherd. Maybe the NCAA tourney gets Clingan consideration in that top 6 group.

serb likes this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

What type of player? The Best.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think Stone still wants to stamp his authority on the team. He doesn't have a problem with Udoka as the HC. I believe he will swing for a talented player who may not be ready over potentially more mature players like Clingan and Knecht with the 9th or 10th pick.

He may select Dillingham, Cody Williams, or Ron Holland imo. I don't like Dillingham and Cody. Ron Holland needs more time , but he could pan out, even with the presence of Eason, Amen and Cam.

TF and PF could put the 9th or 10th pick in play along with the other Nets picks for a trade. I'm glad that the farm wasn't sold for Mikel Bridges.

@ApacheWarrior @BaselineFade

ApacheWarrior and BaselineFade like this.
  6. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I know he's not in the draft this year but damn I wish we could end up with Cooper Flagg. That dude has generational talent and is NBA ready at 18 years old.

7. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

target either reed sheppard or dalton knecht please.

8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Ime, and even Stone seem content to build rather than taking a swing for a so called star according to recent interviews and the end of the year press conference. I agree with this approach. I would keep the pick. The more I think about it, I'd be ok with a more mature ready now player, but also would be ok with a project. Shooting, rim protection and a legit combo guard are the teams biggest needs imo.

I'm higher on Ware than Clingan because he can shoot and space the floor, and protect the rim for our second units. He has touch around the rim too. But Clingan is a beast and I wouldn't mind having him or Knecht. I don't think Dillingham is a Ime type of player. Williams, Holland, even Castle have enough upside so I wouldn't hate selecting any of them.

I admire the patience that Denver chose trusting and believing in their drafted players regardless of criticism or injuries. No panic trades. Just brought in Gordon to complete the puzzle. I've waited damn near 30 years hoping to see another Rocket championship. I'd rather wait a few more years and get this right then look for a quick fix and become second round fodder.

Keep the pick. Develop someone that can fill a need in a couple of years. And will be on a cheap contract when Stone starts dishing out those max deals.

Shark44, peleincubus and saleem like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I personally feel Paul George would be ideal here in Houston.

Paul George has had Jalen Green on his podcast several times.

Paul George has complemented Sengun as an up and coming talent.

Clippers have been wanting a point guard for years....going through Reggie Jackson, Westbrook, Harden and others.

Paul George x VanVleet is my proposal.(Paul George sign-n-trade)

I was targeting Dalton Knecht in the draft; but if we have to give up the draft pick to get Paul George
    I'm willing to think about it. Prefer trading a future draft pick.....but this year's draft is kinda lame.

Amen (6'7" mismatch)........Tyus Jones
    Jalen Green (6'5")................Cam Whitmore/Dalton Knecht (6'6")
    Paul George (6'8")...............Dalton Knecht/Cam Whitmore
    Jabari (6'11") ......................Tari Eason
    Sengun (6'11").....................Jalen Smith / * ?

*Steven Adams or Jock Landale

(i prefer the younger/cheaper)

Use VanVleet and Dillon Brooks in separate SnT's

I'm not worried about losing VanVleet.....Udoka system is practically Popovich system
    of ball movement and multiple people touching the ball on
    any given possession. Supply
    multiple 3-point shooters gives you more chance of assists; which in turn gives you
    more chance for higher ppp; which gives your main ball handlers higher NBA percentile
    in any or all "Play Types"

#129 ApacheWarrior, May 2, 2024 at 8:58 AM
    Last edited: May 2, 2024 at 9:08 AM
  10. saleem

Your plan makes very good sense. I think Stone should consult with Ime before he makes the pick. TF and PF should have no say in making the call. My hunch is Stone and the ownership are getting unnecessarily impatient.

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. saleem

Your plan is interesting, Will playoff P agree to come to Houston instead of another veteran team? It's hard for me to figure that out. I believe you understand where I'm coming from bud. Stone wants to prove that he's better than Morey.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. saleem

Makes sense.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I like Ware as well. Ware should have a very long NBA career as a 3-and-D 4/5. At 230 lb, there are NBA matchups that will push him to the bench. He is young so he will fill out.

Holland 3, and Castle 1/2 do not shoot the 3 well, so they would be a hard fit alongside the other 3pt challenged Rockets.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well the rumor is Paul George being recruited to join Embiid/Maxey. But the only player on contract is Embiid. Maxey is restricted free agent.

They have to put a whole team around them.

Houston has player option of Tate and Jeff Green
    plus move VanVleet $42M and/or Dillon Brooks $21M.

Clips are at about $169M before trying to bring Harden back.

15. j@amc

j@amc Member

Finkelstein's 5/2/24 mock (CBS Sports) has Dillingham falling to the Rockets at #9. Ok. I'll take him. Sheppard at #6. Castle at #8. Williams and Knecht were still on the board.

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm over guys like Paul George. I'm in on the next Gen of players and want to stick to developing rising players.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have come around to either draft a player that can shoot raw or older college player or trade the pick for future pick(s) that can help you move up a bit higher next season.

imagine the Nets pick being around 5-6 next season. You may really want to move up to 3-4 and target a player that have a ton of potential. Also enabling you to trade 2-3 players and the rest of the Nets assets for an extremely good player next year when you have a true sense in how the team fits together.

Under this scenario you can think of all kinds of interesting lineups.

Amen Thompson
    Jaylen Brown
    2025 top 5 draft pick Tari Eason
    Jabari Smith
    Sengun

Different versions of this where the 2025 Nets pick is a starter long term for the Rockets. The nets just have to do their part and suck hard next year.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I hear you, but I think Paul George would be the best exception

@saleem

Paul George has nothing to prove. Unlike I felt VanVleet and Dillon Brooks making big money
    for the first time. I feel Paul George would be fine with load management during games.
    Playing some 25 minutes and allow our young ones to get time to develop. Guys like Bari, Tari,
    Cam Whitmore and a young Dalton Knecht. Paul George start and finish (approx last 7 mins).

NBA.com "Play Type" stats
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/putbacks

Play Type.....................PPP...............NBA percentile
    PnR (Ball Handlers)
    Spot Up..........................1.29........................93.5
    Cut..................................1.62........................95.5
    Put Backs
    Post Up..........................1.12.........................78.1
    Isolation.........................1.03....................…..73.0
    Off Screens....................1.10…......................68.0
    Hand Off.........................0.74.........................23.6

34 y/o but still productive. One year deal with player option on 2nd year.

PG 23/24: 22.6 pts, 5.2 rebs, 3.5 Ast, 47% (FG%), 41% (3P%), 91% (FT%)

#138 ApacheWarrior, May 2, 2024 at 9:12 PM
    Last edited: May 2, 2024 at 9:20 PM
    saleem likes this.
  19. saleem

I prefer Knecht over Dillingham and the low energy of Williams. Stone should trade the pick if it falls to 10, unless Clingan is available.

20. saleem

That's ok, if he's willing to play for a non contender like Houston. Fred won a ring, Toronto was no longer important to him.