1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Trump policy direction do you not want Biden to undo?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Nov 16, 2020.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Trump has done an about-face on a lot of political policies and goals that I would like to see Biden just flip again. That was why I and a lot of other people voted for him -- to get back to the status quo that Trump had disrupted. There has also been some things that have come up, like Covid, where Trump has obviously taken the wrong strategy and we need to move toward the more conventional wisdom. I'm sure many posters can give me a laundry list of all the executive orders and policy directives and goals that they'd like to see undone. That's too easy. So instead, name something Trump has started that you'd like to see kept in some form, even if you may not agree with how he's gone about it.

I'll start with Trump's confrontation of China on trade. I'm not a big fan of some of his particular tactics, but I think the clash between the US and China had been looking to be inevitable and I think it made sense to take it head-on and try to set the new relationship. I wouldn't want Biden to just go back to deferring the conflict with China until later.

Andre0087 likes this.
  2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Trump didn’t actually accomplish this, but I do seem to recall him briefly mentioning it. I imagine he overheard it somewhere, but it was too complicated for him to understand. I’m not someone that thinks immigration should be totally disallowed, and I think the wall is a huge waste of money and a vanity project for Trump......but having a bit more control over immigration would be nice, and getting rid of the carrot that feeds our current situation would sure help. Automatic birthright citizenship needs to go.

Ender00 and CometsWin like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If not birthright, then what should be the criteria for citizenship? Children born to legal immigrants I assume still get citizenship?

4. Pole

Sure.....I have no issue with that. I just think automatic birthright citizenship incentivizes people to enter the country illegally. I’m also not saying it would totally eliminate illegal entry, but I do think it would be a lot more effective and a lot cheaper than that wall.

Bandwagoner and CometsWin like this.
  5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dumping money into military alliances that no longer benefit us.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I agree birthright citizenship has to go and has been abused greatly by foreign nationals from all over the world. The rule for citizenship should be one parent has to be a citizen.

Ender00 likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me, pick me! This one's easy........

What Trump policy direction do you not want Biden to undo?

Leaving the Presidency.
    Okay, it isn't a policy, per se, but I'm trying to be clever, and they can't all be gems.

Deckard likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

The one Kim Kardashian did..prison reform??

pgabriel and JuanValdez like this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Biden needs to ban dick riders from internet again.

Nolen, arkoe, CourtOfDreams and 8 others like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what if they entered the country legally?

also this amendment of the constitution was good enough for 148 years. I wonder how many benifitted from this.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside".

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who is a citizen because of birthright citizenship this is a frequent whipping post brought out but I've yet to see any major trends that this is a serious problem. I can tell you that for the vast vast majority of anchor babies like myself we are as American as someone who's ancestor came on the Mayflower.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Exactly. And also many don't know it was an ethnic Chinese who proved that before the USSC in the Wong Ark Kim case.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Locking dirty criminals who served in government up

edwardc likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except that the Obama admin was confronting the PRC. They weren't as public or as in your face about it which anyone who knows Chinese culture could tell you is a bad way of dealing with the Chinese. As mentioned in the trade agreement thread TPP was meant to contain the PRC. Given the PRC's market size unilateral direct confrontation with the PRC was never bound to work and we've seen that with not only our agricultural sector taking a hit but a meaningless Phase One deal while in the meantime they've gone ahead and not only signed a new multiparty trade deal with our allies they've replaced us with Brazil and other countries for agricultural goods.

Multilateral dealings essentially collective pressure is the way to contain the PRC. With TPP we could've done that.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

While Trump overall has been terrible on COVID-19 project Warp Speed is proving to be a success and should be continued by the Biden Administration into the next phase of deployment of a vaccine.

JuanValdez likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

7.5% of all US births are to unauthorized immigrants. Thats definitely a number that has changed since the 14th amendment.

Someone pointed this out in an older thread that the clause was part of the fourteenth amendment to protect ex-slaves from being shipped to Africa.

Personally i don't believe in borders, i think they're an outdated concept preventing the inevitable. That being said, in the meantime if we must protect our borders, its an issue

#16 pgabriel, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    rocketsjudoka likes this.
  17. Pole

I’m a believer in democracy.......or at least representative democracy. If the majority of american voters want birthright citizenship, I’m perfectly fine being in the minority and living with a construct that I find........less than ideal. BUT......I think we should recognize what we are incentivizing and simply open our borders to anyone and everyone. It just makes no sense whatsoever to restrict immigration AND grant birthright citizenship. As a country, we are encouraging people to break the law.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

There are 12 million illegal aliens in this country many of whom are forced to commit some kind of fraud to live here aside from being illegal in the first place. The notion that you’re unaware how our laws incentivize illegal behavior and how big a problem this has become is just fake.

19. adoo

adoo Member

hasn't this been a classic eg of deferring the conflict until later.

another eg was Trump looking the other way on China's mid-handling of HKSAR's protests

u know that Biden/Obama confronted China w the TPP, one which was torpedoed by the dotard, no?

#19 adoo, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    rocketsjudoka likes this.
  20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He does not get a pass on this one. This would have occurred without him and likely even faster had he not obstructed and obfuscated early.