1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Should the Dems Do to Make a Comeback.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

they should make Howard Dean DNC chair, but they wont

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  2. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

Yes they should, yaaaaaarrrrrr!!

3. dmoneybangbang

Do we think the elites are not in control?

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I love it when exurban poop clowns talk about the "inner city"

News flash, Archie: the inner city was gentrified back in the 90's.....you can't afford it now.

Try some opiods should those depress you.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Self-immolation. Either that or kick out the worst of the corporate Democrats who hide behind socially liberal rhetoric but are very much mouth-pieces for the companies that helped Obama raise double the amount of McCain and Romney combined.

If Bernie Sanders changed his view on illegal immigration, he'd essentially be the best parts of Donald Trump, in a sense.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Obama kept trying to compromise with the republicans, and look where appeasing them got him. They are so far right that they probably never saw it as such. We have a group of gun touting, anti-science, anti-education religious zealots. I can't even identify as a republican even though I'm conservative all around with the exception of some social issues I feel are a waste of time going back and forth about. I don't like the ACA, I didn't like his foreign policy, but if he were to do something better...it would probably be going through with what he wanted in a ruthless manner. Sure its nice being "the cool guy" and being liked by everybody but at some point you have to take charge.

For as dishonest and KimJungesque Trump is, propaganda, suppression of information, discrediting anybody disagreeing, etc...he is paving the way to push his agenda.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Whenever I hear or see a republican try to position Trump as a Democrat I laugh. And comparing him to Sanders? Besides immigration reform, look at income equality, choice, taxation, minimum wage, equal rights, education, fair housing, social security, "the pipeline", the military, at least some increases in gun control (universal background checks, removing gun show loophole, banning automatic weapons), net neutrality, Citizens United... gee, I am getting lost, just in what way is Sanders like Trump?

joshuaao likes this.
  8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

• Stop vilifying white middle class and upper middle class suburban voters that just want to go to work, own a home, and pay for their kids college by calling out "white privilege" and demanding they "pay their fair share" when they already have the largest tax to lifestyle burden in the country
    • Stop buying into the internet echo chambers for social justice warriors and fringe radical special interest groups. They make a tiny portion of the population, they tend to be young so they vote on fewer numbers, and their message alienates the vast majority of the country on both sides
    • Stop assuming people care about what celebrities think on issues
    • Recognize that people that follow the rules are annoyed by people that don't follow the rules: people that Legally immigrate to the US are really annoyed at people that illegally immigrate to the US
    • Recognize that people against illegal immigration aren't necessarily against legal immigration, propose immigration reform that makes it easier to legally immigrate, moves people that legally immigrate to the front of the line, and still enforces illegal immigration laws
    • Push forward an agenda on what people really care about: how can I take care of my family, through job, through education, through healthcare
    • Recognize that the poor urban centers that have typically been democrat hot spots are shrinking as a percentage of the population
    • Recognize that Hispanic voters often turn conservative after a couple of generations in the US so you just can't assume democrat forever
    • Recognize the backlash of common sense against rampant PC culture
    • Actually build a single coherent message and plan for the country, which is difficult when the democrat party has recently been trying to represent every little identity politics group with often competing ideals

B@ffled and Space Ghost like this.
  9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Poor Fisher...I would write you a script for loperamide...but there arent medications that treat verbal diarrhea...b/c I have no clue in regards to WTF are you talking about? Dont be like this person...Not a good look!

[​IMG]

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The first person Obama beat in 2008 was really Clinton; 100% hindsight but now I think it's clear the "change" people REALLY wanted 9 years ago wasn't Bush/Republican but DC status quo, of which, the Bushes and Clintons are kings and queens. This election solidified it.

So they have to first, as @leroy said - get organized and on message quickly. After that, they have to pick a candidate that can qualify as an outsider. The American people just sent an agent of chaos to the White House; any notion that an establishment candidate will play right now should be buried deep into the ground.

I also agree they have to stop prioritizing causes based on race, sexual orientation, etc. Poor doesn't know race and we need to speak to everyone with the same urgency.

Most importantly, and maybe the tide will change - but you can't run on the shock and awe of Trump... you can say A LOT of things about him but he has pretty much been as advertised and it's clear that while there may be some buyer remorse - perhaps more coming - the vast majority of people who voted for him don't care how he acts and they seem favorable toward whatever ideology he espouses.

So "not Trump" can't be your calling card; they need someone with a vision who can articulate it in an age of decreasing attention spans and increasing distractions.

Space Ghost and leroy like this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

They just need to show up and vote. That's all. The issues don't matter that much in a post-fact/truth era. Trump played scapegoat politics and lied about just about everything you could possibly lie about, insulted an incredible amount of people and got elected. Republicans have systematically made it more difficult for people to vote in a variety of ways in key states. The only way to combat it is to show up and vote en masse. Stop talking about and just do it. In fact the next Democratic candidate for President should simply run ads telling people to vote. When everyone shows up to vote, Democrats win. When turnout sucks then you get Trump.

DudeWah and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Encourage Tom Hanks to run as a Dem.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This analysis is pretty shoddy, but really the thing that shines through is that you seem hyper-aware of your own whiteness, and hyper-sensitive to the restoration of entitlement that Chancellor promised you and the Herrenvolk.

Seems like 8 of your 11 bullets are fixated on this directly or indirectly.

Relax, friend. Whiteness isn't the end all/be all. Your children will not grow up as narrow and small, I hope.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Personally I think the Dems are doing an amazing job, they should learn nothing from their failures and not change anything at all.

Space Ghost likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Trump is assuring turnout is HIGH...the next 2 election cycles.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You are the epitome of exactly whats wrong with the Left. Who really cares how bad the candidate is, just get out and vote for anyone but Republican. Ill say it again, you are still clueless on why Hillary lost to Trump.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What's wrong with the left is they don't vote, certainly not in mid terms and certainly not in this election. That's how you win elections and that's why Trump won this one. A bunch of Republicans showed up to vote for a pathological lying, ignorant, thin skinned scumbag with Mussolini tendencies and not enough Democrats showed up to vote for the truthiness challenged, corrupt, corporate shill. When Trump can win the Presidency, issues, facts, and the truth don't matter.

I love this idea that Democrats have to be held to some higher standard of ethics but the bar is so low for Republicans that any regular ole con man will do. How stupid.

Deckard and DudeWah like this.