1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Should the Dems Do to Make a Comeback.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jan 24, 2017.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They already tried the "sit back and let Trump bury himself" strategy during the campaign. Didn't work out too well.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree with that much. Both were, and are, moderate progressives that share much the same agenda, despite your attempt to portray Hillary as a "war monger." Trying to paint either one as radical leftists only illustrates someone's ignorance.

3. Granville

Granville Member

Become Republicans.....

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Democrats have to stop with identity politics. Its bad for the country and is very unappealing. I doubt they will though. Last thing they want to do is debate an issue.

cml750 likes this.
  5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Deckard, I hope you can eventually accept Hillary was not that
    Ok, Dick Cheney and Dubya were more into war than Hillary, so that is why I would classify Hillary as "neo-con lite" Hillary voted for the Iraq War, perhaps as she often did e.g. the TPP) change of heart purely for opportunistic political reasons. She did promote the war on Libya and tried very hard to expand the war in Syria, but fortunately Obama blocked her. She and Obama were both quite supportive of the Saudi War on Yemen.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Two possible approaches... the Trump approach: get a famous person with a collection of left wing positions. Or identify a respected, accomplished, youthful, mediagenic candidate that has been established via local and national speaking opportunities (ie. Democratic response to Trump's SOTU and other presidential addresses). While Elizabeth Warren merits consideration, I'd prefer a "fresher" set of possibilities, led by (perhaps in order) Kamala Harris, Kristin Gillibrand, Julian Castro, John Hickenlooper, Jon Tester, Brian Murphy, Amy Klobucher, and Andrew Cuomo.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's funny because I think the Democrats have their best chance if Trump actually does what he campaigned on. For Obama it was a slogan, but Trump is the real change candidate. He is not afraid to break a few eggs. But, I don't think people like change as much as they say they want it. The harder Trump pushes the likelier it is we pull the plug. I hear you, @ima_drummer2k, and my wife keeps poking fun for continually being wrong about Trump's chances, but I still believe he's heading for a big fall.

And, I don't think the elites are done. There's a reason why we had 43 elites elected president before Trump. Time heals all wounds, and the elites will find themselves back in control before too long.

8. val_modus

val_modus Member

Any thoughts on the Justice Democrata movement and whether or not it will gain any traction? Seems a bit overly idealistic given the large scope they're aiming for.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Trump will get a extreme right Justice confirmed, count on it. I actually hope they get abortion right repealed, so people will get to know what it is like to live like that.

10. Major

Major Member

You stated you want the interest rate on student loans to match the interest rate on given to the banks. I'm asking a very simple question - what is that interest rate? You posted with a response that is completely irrelevant to my question.

If you're going to have an agenda and make a proposal, it seems a very basic element of that is acutally knowing what you're proposing. So again, what do you believe was the bank bailout interest rate? If you don't even know what you're proposing, then why should anyone take anything you say seriously?

And as an add on question since you posted this new irrelevant stuff - do you actually know how the $13 trillion figure was arrived at and if and to whom it was disbursed?

11. Zergling

Zergling Member

It all depends on where we are as a country in 2020. Unless Trump somehow does a good job which doesn't seem likely given his platform, the Democrats won't have to do much to not only win the White House but also Congress seats.

The good thing about the 2016 outsider movement with Trump and Sanders is I feel politics has become a bigger deal with more people. I expect larger voter turnout in 2020 and there will be more eligible Millennial voters, a majority of them being left leaning.

Dems can pick a safe candidate and win. I think Biden, Warren, Sanders, Booker would all destroy Trump. I would go with Booker simply because he's much younger than the others.

12. Anticope

Anticope Member

Except on issues like climate change, foreign policy, tax policy, infrastructure spending, military spending, net neutrality, environmental regulations, entitlements, healthcare and the minimum wage. But yeah, not much difference at all.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm still looking for a potential candidate to get excited about. Certainly not one of the two main Democratic candidates in the last election. Hillary, while possibly, in my opinion, robbed of victory in 2016 by an international conspiracy, has had her shot and is political history. Like Hillary, Bernie had his chance and is just too old, in my opinion, for another realistic run. I could be wrong about Bernie, and would certainly consider voting for him again, but would like to see someone new in 2020.

Looking for ideas.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

a huge section of dems could start entertaining us instead of preaching to us

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If President Trump does a good job for the year, I really expect more democratically elected spots to be in jeopardy...Especially if Trump finds ways to improve the quality of life among those within the inner cities. Time will tell. I think its very important to have a counter view to balance a republican stance...it builds healthy and reasonable discourse...but politicians on both sides of the aisle have missed the mark with the American people.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dems should stop taking money from donors.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not Trump Supporter, but I often wonder what if. What if (however unlikely) Trump actually makes things better with the issues liberals/progressives actually care about? Would liberals/progressives even give him the credit, flip, and elect him again? I know the answer.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What about Trump has made you think this is possible?

Sure, if Trump appointed Merrick Garland and joined the Paris Accord, sold off his companies, stopped being a Russian lickspittle, and just kind of overall turned down the whole "narcissistic racist/sexist demagogue " routine, I'd be like "yeah, maybe he ain't so bad".

But this isn't happening- so who cares?

What if DaDakota was right and DMo turns into LeBron James with better boxing out?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

3 mIllion people turned out Saturday - not because they were rallying around Janelle Monae.