1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes America so great?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 3fingeredgus, Sep 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Jeff, you're the man!

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Getting back to the original question: what makes America so great? Many things but probably none better than the fact that anybody that lives in the country has a future--they are able to look forward to getting the most out of life. Yes, our government is not perfect and has made mistakes, but I wouldn't leave my country if you paid me a million dollars to live somewhere else!

3. Hydra

Hydra Member

Isn't is wrong to say that "camel-jockey" is a slur directed at Muslims? Many Muslims are not from countries that use camels. I think it is used more often to refer to Arab people.

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If free speech is a good American quality, why are some folks persecuted for phrasing things in a un-pc style?

Just a question I was ruminating on while reading the BBS v MrSpur.

I have a technique that keeps me from being offended by idiots,
    I IGNORE THEM....it works real well for me.

One of the worse things to happen to us was when the PC-police took over the country in order to keep us from offending each other.

What happened to the days when if someone said something to you that offended you, you didn't immediately head for the lawyer's office?

I realize I'm probably in the minority here and some of you will probably not understand where I'm comin from..oh well

5. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Where did you see anyone threatening legal action against MrSpur? Hell, where did you even see anyone asking to ban him? Nobody did that. Many people just told him that they thought it was inappropriate.

I think your post is overreacting to quite a large degree. He certainly has a right to his opinions. Of course Clutch also has the right to ban him but nobody suggested that (nor am I trying to subtly suggest that).

I just don't understand the point of your post unless is to just suggest in general that many people are too PC. If so, I agree with you but I don't think it was shown in this post. MrSpur used a term that a great many people consider derogatory then was unapologetic and argumentative when that was pointed out. That's why he was harassed.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yes, thats all I was pointing out.

I personally dont agree with MrSpur's post or his reaction when he was asked to calm it down.
    but this whole PC thing just irritates me and I took the occasion to mention it.

Nothing more, nothing less.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Rockets2K,

I think your Mom's a fat, ugly, w****.

Does that upset you? Would you ask me to stop saying that? Why? Too un-PC for you? Would you prefer attractively-challenged? How about thindicapped? I understand that she's unable to keep her legs together, but why should I call her anything different than what she really is in the name of political correctness?

It's not a matter of P.C., it's a matter of decency.

8. Timing

Timing Member

Dude... his mom is not fat. ;)

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I think people just want to save money.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

HA!

11. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Is the water supposed to be red like this?

I just want to take a moment and say that I do truly support free speech. I think MrSpur is allowed to make all the ignorant statements he wants, but I believe I also have the right to tell him that I think he's being ignorant. I also agree that the term "camel jockey" doesn't just apply to muslims or the Taliban, but seems to be a generalization for anyone of Arab descent.

I don't think this is a PC issue. I don't think it's un-PC to call a black person a ******.. I think that's flat out disrespectful and is a racial slur. In the same way, I feel derogatory terms like camel jockey and goat herder are racial slurs as well and if I hear someone make comments like that, you can bet I'm going to point out their ignorance to them.

Like Rocketman95 said: "It's not a matter of P.C., It's a matter of decency"

I believe that one of America's greatest strengths is Free Speech. We're very fortunate in this country, that we can speak about our beliefs and values, but that doesn't mean that other people cannot voice their displeasure at ours or someone else's views. That's what Free Speech is all about.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

double post

#72 Desert Scar, Sep 19, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2001
  13. Desert Scar

Oh yeah, I guess American life would be so much more improved if we just lightened up and condoned people using all the racial slurs common to everyday language many decades ago. (I am not going to list them.) It is a shame all this "PC" just gets in the way of many people showing how they really feel others with different physical characteristics and/or cultures, why should be bother with the trouble of having to wear white hoods. (In case this is misunderstood, I am being sarcastic)

This is a very troubling thread in part because of what was said but even more because of some posters steadfest refusal to admit they are wrong, way wrong. I'd even settle for the semi- graceful exit of quitting while behind instead going around on this again.

14. hotdogeater

hotdogeater Member

?????

Mr. Spur, you really embarrassed yourself in this thread.

15. Desert Scar

Trying to be more positive.

To me what makes America so great are the themes of freedom to pursue your happiness and of expression.

16. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

No taxation w/out representation...

17. Major

Major Member

<B>No taxation w/out representation...</B>

People under 18 have to pay taxes but cannot vote. :)

18. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

You got me there Shanna... I was just trying to throw something light hearted out there, but you are absolutely right about that.

19. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Plus people are considered responsible enough to vote, drive, and die for one's country before they are responsible enough to have a beer.

That being said America is still the greatest country (imo) becuase we have an educated population and have shown the ability and willingness to get through just about any situation or problem.

It is also the greatest b/c MrSpur actually has the right to say whatever the heck he wants. He can trash the president. He can trash congress. He can trash entire groups of people and nobody can throw him in jail. I still think that's incredible and have to give thanks to Washington et al whenever I think of it.

Unfortunately I think some countries are gaining ground on us because of the stripping of civil liberties in the War on Drugs and draconian infringements in fair-use principles as exemplified in the DMCA. I think our government in cow-towing ever more to the major media corporations and at this rate of "progress" we will never actually own any media.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Rockets2K and others:

Free speech is applicable in society but not necessarily on this board. There are rules that everyone accepts when they join this "community" and those rules are not simply "say what you want."

I actually argued this very point a couple of years ago (mine was over curse words, but it is essentially the same point) and I now fully understand the rationale behind the rules. We all have to get along here or this place becomes intolerable. If the price of getting along is a slightly tighter rein on what can be said, I don't think any of us should have a serious problem with that.

In this instance, the term used falls under the category of racial slurs and those are simply prohibited here because we cannot know how other members will be effected by those comments. Call it PC if you like, but, in this forum, it is as much common courtesy as it is political correctness.