1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes America so great?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 3fingeredgus, Sep 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I have to say that the events last week and the reaction by our country has inspired patriotism in me that I never knew existed. I'd like to know what everyone thinks makes our nation so great...

Here are a few of my thoughts (in no certain order):

1) Melting pot w/ many cultures, religions, and races.

2) Love thy neighbor - it seems we truly respect and love our fellow citizens of this country. One example would be the MC Mark thread going all of last week.

3) Democracy/Free Market of Ideas - because we are a democracy and have the right to free speech, any one of our citizens are free to speak about what they believe in. I think this open forum really fuels are democratic process.

4) We're not afraid to stand up against opression - Isn't this why our nation was formed?

I apologize for not being able to articulate too well, but hopefully ya'll get my point.

Any thoughts?

2. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

i think its also because of the friends america has. I sure dont feel worried with the support america has gotten during this crisis. with china and russia (not always friendly) britain germany etc. all on the same side i think the odds look good

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I think your #2 is actually a very rare (although refreshing when it does occur) quality in America.
    Number 1 is also a major problem because there are constantly problems between different races, religions, and genders in this country.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Burger King Tacos

5. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

:D

6. hotdogeater

hotdogeater Member

While I too love Burger King Tacos, and that means SuperTacos and MonsterTacos (though I don't understand the name change, my love remains strong), I think you have left out America's greatest strength.

<b>Respect for the rule of law.</b>

Yes, our legal system is not perfect, and we could list abuses for days, but our country is great because even the poorest among us can tell his/her story to a jury. Corporations have to answer to complaints from single mothers, and the most powerful among us must follow the basic rules (99% of the time).

In most countries on this planet, bribery and organized crime flourish. Look at Russia, a country with great resources and wonderfully skilled cheap labor. Their culture has decided that ethical behavior in business in not necessary, and people starve. What a shame!

7. Hydra

Hydra Member

FREEDOM

8. treeman

treeman Member

The fact that we ALL share a set of basic values that are conducive to basic human survival and progress. Freedom, rule of law, respect for diversity, respect of others' ideas, a good work ethic... The list goes on. It never ceases to surprise me how many of these values are totally absent in other societies.

Also, and this might offend some people, but we follow Western logic. Many societies simply don't understand it, and most of those that do (like most European countries) don't share our other values. It is a combination of all these factors that sets us apart.

Canada and Australia are pretty close, though. I'm ot sure if anyone's noticed, but they, along with Britian (usually) are the only ones we consistently have peaceful relations with. And I don't mean anything racist by that, before anyone starts...

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Freedom led to Diversity, Diversity led to wealth, wealth led to weapons, weapons led to power, power led to Social Awareness, Social Awareness will lead us to world peace.

10. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Malt Liquor

p*rn

Basketball

And the fact it's about to take out some friggin' camel jockeys.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm with hotdogeater on this one...the Rule of Law. Without it, men stand supreme...with it, process and law stands supreme.

Other things in no particular order:

the freedom to disagree with your government and to very loudly trumpet your disagreement.

baseball

jazz music

the encouragment of innovation (ties in with free market ideas)

the idea that if i want to start a business and determine my financial outcome on my own, I can damn well give it a shot with less restrictions than anywhere in the world

the fact that immigrants do the above!! -- their stories of success (even modest success) never fail to bring tears to my eyes.

the value placed on human life -- more so than most places on this planet

the value placed on children

the fact I can go to a Wednesday morning Bible study at my church without the fear of getting beaten by soldiers or police

the people -- the differences among us that make it so interesting.

MAYBE MOST IMPORTANT: the fact that my son can only limit himself...that the government does not limit his ability to become what he wants...to protect that I would give my life.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The fact that we can call idiots like MrSpur idiots.

13. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I'm with you. It's definitely not the people that use degrading terms like "camel jocky" that make this country great.

14. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Lest I forget:

Being politically correct, even when 5,000+ of your fellow countrymen are murdered and your country is going to war.

Grand.

15. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

MrSpur,

There is a difference between being politically correct and making racist comments...

To me, the perpetrators of this crime are sick people, not because of their race, but because of their actions and hatred against our country.

Racism is a shortcut to thinking...

16. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I second that.

FREEDOM.

17. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

I'm not concerned about being improper when insulting the enemy who just butchered 5,000+ people last week.

Oh no, I posted 'camel jockey' in a forum. :rolleyes:

I guess I shouldn't want to insult these guys in such poor form...

#17 MrSpur, Sep 18, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2001
  18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You're right. I'm sick of all the n*****s, spics and gooks that do bad things too...they're representative of all people of one race.

Damn you damn idiotic political correct people.

19. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

:rolleyes:

Once again, you are concerned about what the enemy is called?

Fine, they are 'sick b*stard fvck goat herders'.

I hope that 'goat herders' does not violate your sensitivities.

Damn.

20. cson

cson Contributing Member

I'M IN!:mad: YOU IGNORANT RACIST FECK!!!!

A)WE DON'T EVEN KNOW FER SURE WHO ATTACKED US!
    2)SOMEWHERE, SOMETIME YOU or YOUR PEOPLE CAME HERE, BY FORCE OR CHOICE and HAVE NOT LEFT, AT THAT TIME YOU TOO WERE JUSST A RACIAL SLUR, PROBABLY LONG BEFORE YOUR FATHER SPILLED THE EVIL DEMONIC SPERM THAT SPAWNED YOU, THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU IGNORANT INSENSITIVE FECK!!!
    C) GOATHERDIN" JOCKEYS ,OR WHATEVER YOUR POETRY PREFERS ,ALSO DIED IN WTC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!