1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what laptop should I buy?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pasox2, Oct 12, 2007.

Tags:
  1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I want to use it for business presentations, remote business computing, and mobile dj. ;) I'd like a large screen 17" - or more, lots of input/output for audio and video editing and display, lots of memory, storage and power.

Any suggestions? I would like to stay somewhere around $ 2,500.00 or less. I'll gladly pay more to really get a good machine, though. Sample intended use - I might show a class multiple video clips, slowing some down and speeding some up. I might edit and cut a song, play one off a disk, mix it with another sample, then record and burn it.

Thanks for help.

2. MontyMarch

MontyMarch Member

if you insist on a 17' mon, you better choose macbook pro but you will be using OS X, which are good for editing video & sound....
    otherwise a 17" notebook is so heavy, very few businessmen carry it around for business travel, and i don't think thinkpad even have a model for it, it is mostly used for gaming....if you will be using windows a lot i suggest getting T61 and it have full set of drivers good battery life, great service, finger print reader and much more but the top model only have 15" mon....

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Do NOT get:

HP
    Compaq
    Lenovo

So-so:

Toshiba
    Fujitsu

For that price range I would look at:

Sony Vaio
    Dell XPS (I have two- the m1710 and m1330)
    Macbook with Windows installed for your windows apps

Check out notebookreview.com for some good reviews...but take what they say with a grain of salt. Users can submit votes for laptops- People will vote for their own notebooks like they are the best thing in the world, but honestly, they probably don't have experience with many different types of notebooks. I would only look at the reviewer's comments, because they get their hands on all different types of laptops.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Interesting you rated it that way. I have owned a Toshiba, Sony, HP, Compaq. Also worked with A Lenovo and Dell. Most ratings have Lenovo pretty high as well as HP and Toshiba.

If i were going to rate them i would go somewhere along the lines of Sony, Toshiba, HP, Lenovo. It's all going to be personal experience but for the most part you can get some good bang for your buck if you go with HP or Toshiba. Sony your gonna pay for the name but be missing some features that i wish they had.

I almost got another Sony this past month but for the price they didn't even put an XVGA screen on the thing and it had very low max resolution for all the graphics power..big turn off.

5. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I got this for just over 400 bux (tax+recycling fee = 440). I uninstalled vista, and put windows 2000 on it. it flies for things like web browsing, emails and word processing. for games i have my duo 2 core desktop.

think about. it's a money saver, just remember to ditch vista.

6. Fatty FatBastard

prices would help, dumbasses...

7. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

PC based, dell, lenevo.

otherwise, MAC

8. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

I recomend u HP Pavilion dv9000 ...17 widesreec,web cam, and it is on top of that a very strong computer!

9. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

10. MexAmercnMoose

i third the dell xps ;)

11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

you know that you can run Windows on Mac right?

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Get yourself a Sony Vaio. They make really high quality laptops.

13. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Don't listen to this Houston hater. If you buy HP/Compaq, you're helping Houston's economy. :)

14. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I was going to recommend the same thing. I also would suggest getting it from Costco using your American Express so you get 6 months of warranty with no restocking fee if you do plan on returning it.

15. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Get the Macbook Pro. I just switched to a Macbook and wish I had done so alot sooner.

16. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Thinkpad, Apple, and Sony still has the best quality overall. Dell and HP comes close second.

I have a toshiba, and it broke on me couple times (CD-Rom, and touchpad). But their service is really good. Fast, convenient, and quality repair kept me a believer. If you can find a toshiba under 500 bucks, and get a two year warranty, then it's good as HP or Dell.

My girlfriend has a refrub HP. It has some software problems with the sh!tty Windows Media OS that came with it. But other than that, the hardware has been really solid.

Acer is another up-and-coming brand that makes decent and cheap lappys in recent years.