1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Jalen Green's trade value now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 14, 2024.

?

What is Jalen Green's trade value now?

1. 2-4

2. 5-8

3. 9-12

4. 13-17

5. 18-23

6. Late first

7. Seconds

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's my contention that his current speculative value is much higher than most think. We'll want a good player back, a starter. But, I've broken it down to a draft pick for the sake of simplicity/clarity. I'm assuming answers will range the spectrum.

#1 Plowman, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I voted 13-17. I hope his value is higher than that, but given where he is on his rookie scale contract and the lack of scoring efficiency even now playing in the backcourt with a great point guard….i just think late lotto/mid-1st is probably where he’s valued at.

Slim, DeBeards, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yes, I have him as currently being equal in value to one "average" first-round draft pick. Definitely a comedown from his value when he was first drafted, but he is neither worthless nor untouchable as some posters here would have you believe.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think it just all depends on the team and the culmination of assets they can put together to afford him at this time.

My guess though is if Stone was doing his normal thing where he uses Woj and Shams to shop him like he’s done in the past with Dipo, and EG my guess is he’d say something like this:

“The Rockets in return are looking for teams who can offer a veteran starter on a valuable contract and two first round picks projected in the late lottery or higher”

Then a week later you’d see something like this:

“With the trade deadline less than a week away the Rockets believe they have multiple teams who are willing to part with two first round picks and a veteran role player.” (Basically the typical Stone trying to play GM’s to get a better offer because the offers so far are low ball)

Then the actual trade tweet would read something like this:

“The Houston Rockets are finalizing a trade to send Jalen Green, and Victor Oladipo to the X team for a first round pick (projected in the 15 to 20 range), a pick swap in 2027, a second round pick, and Kelly Olynyk (type of role player)”

So to be honest with you guys… that’s kinda how I’d see a Jalen Green trade going down given the track record of Stone, and that’s probably the value we’d end up getting for him if he’s shopped the way Stone typically works. I sure hope Stone would do better this time if he is traded but I have my doubts.

That’s why I’m like ehh… I hope they just keep the guy at this point. I don’t trust Stone to extract the kind of value we’d want to move us forward.

6. PatBev

PatBev Member

Package him with a Brooklyn pick, add Tate, try to get Ausar

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Knew it was Utah ;)

Meanwhile Detroit moved Livers, Bagley and 2nd rounders for Gallo and Muscala ....

#7 daywalker02, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

great post. I mean I’d take the 15th pick, a pick swap and a good role player for Jalen at this point though. lol

9. dobro1229

Olynyk “type of role player”. You go down every teams roster and most of them have that type of salary for at least one veteran.

I think regardless it’s going to be hyped like we are looking for someone like Bogdanovich or Capela from the Hawks and we end up with Garrison and Westley Matthew’s instead.

Then in Stone’s press conference he’ll say “I meant veteran who HAS EXPERIENCE as a starter”.

jim1961 likes this.
  10. dobro1229

I’ll add though that I actually wouldn’t mind at all if Olynyk did find his way back to the Rockets this season. I think he’s a nice fit coming off the bench.

I do think though that Stone through the media would overhype the type of role player he’s wanting to get back and Rockets fans would be a tad underwhelmed in the end.

11. comrade

comrade Member

I think Jalen would pretty easily fetch a top 10 pick in this draft

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, his value was a lot higher before we had 2 1/2 years of data from him playing in the NBA.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think his value is too low for anything meaningful in return.
    IMO, the Brooklyn picks are our most valuable trade asset.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It has almost certainly dropped and will continue to drop daily as we get closer to extension eligibility time. The age excuse is wearing off and the money is coming due. His play doesn't just need to get better, it needs to get better proportionally to the money he is likely to demand. Only people familiar with his agent can likely guesstimate what that is.

Richie_Rich, MadMax, Holybats and 4 others like this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

add tari and we'd get top 2. maybe cade and bane too

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Throw in 50 Lap dances.

plegus and Jontro like this.
  17. dobro1229

I agree, but the only problem is other than for Brooklyn, we are probably the next team up for highest regarded value of those picks. Mostly because of the dilemma we find ourselves in because of the disastrous Westbrook trade.

The fact is we are going to have to start paying some of our youngsters relatively soon and some might walk or get traded because we can’t afford them so you’ll really need to ensure you have quality young players every year coming in via the draft to supplement talent at the lower cost.

Even if a Joel Embiid type of star becomes available I still don’t think the Brooklyn picks and what we have can compete with what OKC and a few others can offer. Because of the Westbrook trade and maybe some missed opportunities with Eric Gordon years ago I think we have a much thinner cabinet of draft picks than I’d like to have to be as competitive as we’d need to be.

I think the Brooklyn picks are mostly valuable for us because of our future situation.

Aruba77 and jim1961 like this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If Harden was a GM, that might have considerable value.

plegus and daywalker02 like this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

The timing thing is a concern because org would feel much better if the performance was good for most of the year instead of getting hot for 2nd half of a season.

He likely would also need to be very good next year if his agent was to seek near max without being awkward or laughed out the room.

The alternative is to settle for his current market value money, which is still life changing money.

conquistador#11 and napalm06 like this.
  20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would be stunned. If someone offered that and Stone didn’t take it, he should be sued for basketball malpractice lol

cml750, Richie_Rich, DeBeards and 5 others like this.