1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is happening in Oregon?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aussie rocket, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Buck Turgidson

Please everyone answer this question....

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cut off passage and any utilities to the building. Same thing you do when any armed idiot is illegally occupying a federal building.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Republican Presidential Candidate Ted Cruz has come out urging the armed protesters in Oregon to 'stand down'.

4. Buck Turgidson

That first part has already happened, the second part is an escalation that only makes the yahoos think that they are under siege.

There is no impetus for an aggressive response. That may happen, but why not try to talk them down without violence and then throw them in Federal Court?

Remember how the Justice Dept. handled the idiots in Waco and Ruby Ridge....

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cutting off utilities isn't an aggressive response and it's certainly not violent.

6. Buck Turgidson

It is to the idiots inside that building, and it makes them angrier, which increases the likelihood of violence (which has not happened yet). Do a little googling on hostage-type situations. Keeping everybody calm is Rule #1.

Why escalate things if there is no threat to the public (people or places)?

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^are there hostages?

8. Buck Turgidson

No....

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's a lot of destruction.

10. Buck Turgidson

No, it's not. Not at all. 130 acres is nothing as long as it's properly controlled.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well nothing compared to what can happen if you don't do regular controlled burns. The ones that get out of hand can and have burned hundreds of thousands of acres in that region. They had one in 2012 that burned over 700,000 acres in Oregon.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Control burns are a very common thing.

13. Buck Turgidson

I know. I can't speak for the place, time or weather in that part of Oregon, but I do that same thing in Feb/March every 3 years or so in Texas. Few hundred acres here, few hundred acres there, few more hundred acres the next week. Fire is scary, but it can be controlled if you know what you are doing and plan it right.

130 acres is not "destruction" is all I was saying.

Rimrocker would be the best person to chime in on this.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Having fun beating up that straw man?

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

There's 640 acres in a square mile. 130 acres isn't even 1/4 of a square mile. That's really nothing.

This is really a silly protest by the farmers. They are embarrassing themselves, especially with how unprepared they are.

1 person likes this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

White people don't attack nobody. They are harmless

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'm not too up on this story but I did read the 'burn' was to cover up evidence of poaching 3 deer from federal land, so the 130 acres are insignificant but the fact that it was prosecutable when the poaching wasn't was the reason it was pursed, like convicting Capone for tax evasion.

[​IMG]

18. Buck Turgidson

Yeah I heard that too. Don't know the seasons in Oregon, it seems pretty extreme to cover up a couple of deer with a fire, hell if I know. It's so remote you'd think it would be easier to just haul them out and who's going to see you?

It's beautiful country out there, I would recommend anyone that's up to it to hit the Bitterroot Wilderness in Idaho, Snake River. Boise's a great town, so is Missoula, Montana.

19. g1184

g1184 Member

Thinking things through isn't allahusnackbar ya'llqaeda's strong suit.

20. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Since this "sit in" involves a heavily armed group that has gone on record that they are willing to kill and be killed for their cause.