1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What in the world can Cato do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texan69128, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Texan69128

Texan69128 Member

What in the world has Cato done?

Watching Cato play for the Rockets the past three years. I now have a question. What can Cato do? I mean he can't shoot, he can't pass, He can't rebound,nor block. He misses just about half of his wide opened dunk. What can he do? But take up cap space? Please If you are a Rockets fan you would answer this question for me. I haven'y been able to answer this question for the past three years. He has been a disease rather a player that makes contibutions to the Rockets.
    PLEASE REPLY!!!!!:confused:

#1 Texan69128, Jun 30, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2002
  2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

he can wash Ming's jock!

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

He can get abused by Ming in practice.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

He can dunk.

5. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

His specialty is the one-handed alley oop dunk; but he is very good two-handed as well. Besides that I cant think of anything KC excels in. He makes a nice big screen on some picks but he forgets to roll or prove to be an asset anywhere on the court.

6. Stevie Francis

ummmmmm.....i'll get back with you one that one.:rolleyes:

7. carlit0

carlit0 Member

That is what most of the entire league is complaining about concerning each team individual centers/lack there of.

But the sad thing for the league, and now a great advantage for the Rockets(Ming) is that Cato is not the worst center out there for the money he makes.
    Cato is in the middle of the pack of league centers.

For sure now, Cato fell one more spot with the addition of Ming to the league.
    But once again for the league, only one impact Center was added this year so far. If you view the whole league as a team that is terrible.

But this a great advantage to the teams that have the very few impact centers.

8. NbaGuru

NbaGuru Member

You people are not Rocket fans you hate on Cato now because you"Think" Ming will start over Cato or should start.

I do not know who that bet was that said Ming will start over Cato but someone is gonna lose bad.

Ming is a rookie..Ming will have to adjust to the game before he is ever set in starting.
    Ming is not a starter and doubtful he will be this coming season provided Cato does not injure himself or get traded.

Cato is a good player on a good team and Ming is an added piece of the puzzle. Problem with Ming will be riding the pine versus what he did in China.
    That as a player can have a psychological effect on you if you let it happen.

Rockets Fans support their team REGARDLESS of who is on the team, If Earl boykins was to join the squad the he is a ROCKET.
    We support any player who wears the pinstripes!

For people to flat out boo Cato as a starter, just because they wanna see Ming play is stupid!

9. Texan69128

Texan69128 Member

NbaGuru,

I guess you are a tru Rockets fan. The fact is the Cato flat out sucks. Ming is a rookie and he has a whole of more skill than cato.

10. Hydra

Hydra Member

He can rebound, block shots, catch alley-oops, sort-of hold his position, and hit short/mid-range jumpers with remarkable consistancy.

11. Texan69128

Texan69128 Member

Hydra,

I guess you didn't read my question, nor my remarks.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I can't speak for everyone, but my reason for booing him, is that he doesn't play up to his potential & shows no signs of working to improve his game. I believe his words were, "The off season is my time.", or something like that. While he's absolutely correct that it's his time to do as he wishes, he has to be prepared to eventually lose his job & I don't mean when he decides to retire. The facts are, that as competitive as professional sports is, a player can't afford to take the entire off season off. That is, unless he doesn't mind losing his job.

13. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

His heart is what I question. I don't care about the stats. I care about clogging up the middle of the paint. The guy does not care about winning. He doesn't want to be seen in pictures being dunked on.

14. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Originally posted by NbaGuru
    For people to flat out boo Cato as a starter, just because they wanna see Ming play is stupid!

Did these people, I guess including myself, know that Ming was coming 2 years ago?

Nothing has changed since we have gotten Ming.

Even if we got the worst center in the draft, the same would be happening.

As a matter of fact I respect Cato a little more, now that he does not have to have the responsiblity of being a starting center.

Ming is so good that he increased the value of Cato for the Rockets.

15. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Honesly! Cato was getting better last season, but NBA does not have too many centers for the Rockets to pick.. so let give him one more chance next season....

16. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Cato can just be quiet and get his paychecks for the next couple of years.

17. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

:confused:
    So if Cato dunks in the wrong basket we should support it? or if Nachbar doesn´t come to practice, we should support that too?

Being a rockets fan should mean you want the team to get better. Not waste it´s money on Catos paychecks if he´s not doing anything good for the team.
    Blind support for an individual rocket player doesn´t make you a team fan, it makes you ignorant.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Cato can block shots and shoot at a very high percentage from close range.

19. paperweight

paperweight Member

Get off Cato's back.

Is he the second coming of Shaq? No.

Is he the second coming of Bradley? No.

Is he the second coMing of Ming? Who knows.

He's not on the list of worse players nor is he on the best. Yes he has underachieved, compared to the preseason after we got him when he played his heart out before he got the current contract. But in the offense and defense we had last year, I would rate him satisfactory.

The two threads currently running seem to be saying we've got Ming so let's dump Cato.

Why? Regardless of whether Ming is ready to dominate Shaq :eek: or not, Ming's got to rest. Cato's an adequate center in the NBA - more than adequate in the East - and I have yet to hear that he wants out because we have Ming. About the time Ming should be coming into his own, Cato's contract will be a valuable commodity on the trade block.

For now, we have a capable backup - thank goodness we don't rely only on Collier - and so let the guy do his thing. If you want to jump on him for playing below his potential, fine. But to call him one of the worse players in the NBA? Get off his back.

20. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

I agree with paperweight. Yao & Cato are big helps for the Rockets, give Cato another chance... would be interesting to see Yao & Cato take turn to take on Shaq....Who know, Shag is getting old too (at least we hope!)