1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What have you broken/torn playing sports?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gatsby, Feb 27, 2017.

1. gatsby

gatsby Member

Sports are fun but can take a toll on your body. Yesterday I fractured my thumb and tore my UCL while skiing in upstate NY.

Any of y'all had rough luck with injuries too?

2. SuraGotMadHops

Torn meniscus playing basketball, not a bad tear though, all I needed was anti-inflammatory and I was good in 3 weeks.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

where in upstate NY?

I've had a broken nose (baseball), broken rib (basketball), broken toe (running), torn meniscus (skiing), torn achilles (hunting). Right now I'm looking at knee replacement surgery in my near future. Getting old ain't for sissies.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Tore my hamstring running hurdles in high school.

Don't forget to stretch, my friends...

5. Buck Turgidson

Thumb (ran into wall playing team handball in 7th grade PE)
    Nose (elbowed in face going up for header, 8th grade soccer)
    Fibula (stress fracture, Soph year hoops)
    ACL/MCL/meniscus (hoops, as a 28 year old)
    Various occasional sprains/strains.
    If you include a car wreck and doing stupid stuff (which can be a sport in and of itself), the list gets longer.

Never got seriously hurt in 6 years of JH/HS football or 12 years of baseball.

6. Buck Turgidson

This I gotta hear.

I'm in the same boat, but am trying to put it off as long as I can.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I was lucky. Worst I ever got was a severe high ankle sprain that kept me from walking for about a month.

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

My back. Ended my competitive playing career in one swipe.

9. jae713

jae713 Member

ACL playing basketball. Knee is constantly achy.

10. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Back - playing 2k lying face down on my bed

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

Not much to tell. I was on my annual bird hunting trip to the U.P. in Michigan, I was in the woods, and believe it or not, all I did was jump out of my truck. Heard the thing pop right then. Of course like a moron I hunted on it for the next 8 days. When I came back home found out I had torn it, kind of a vertical spiral tear that ran about 2/3 the length of the tendon. Since it was still connected, they put me in this kind of hinged ankle boot to immobilize it, and it healed on its own.

If you can guess the next part of the story you will understand my ClutchFans user name. :D

My knee has been a chronic issue for years, it flared up again in November while bird hunting and then again in January while goose hunting. This last time it hasn't gotten better, they gave me a cortisone shot which has helped, sort of. It's time. I'm of the mind not to put it off as long as I can. Problem there is everything else atrophies while you do progressively fewer and fewer things that you love doing. Then when you have the surgery your muscles are so weak to start with they have that much more trouble coming back during the rehab. So I'm leaning toward doing it sooner.

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12-13 casts on my ankles over the years playing hoops (sprains,breaks, torn ligaments)...always driving the lane and coming down on someone's foot.

Torn ligament in left knee, also hoopin...scoped.

Nose broken playing bball....had septoplasty.

Broken thumb playing hoops.

And, several concussions...

Snapped the plate in my elbow throwing a curve ball after having the severity of my tendinitis misdiagnosed. (ending my baseball career)

Like Buck, these are just from sports.....

Car accidents/freak accidents/other - You wouldn't believe....several huge/life threatening deals...long protracted recoveries...

There's more (including a blown out eardrum), and that's just the physical.

I'm meant to be here.

#12 Plowman, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I suffered a tibial stress fracture during a half marathon. Due to the adrenaline or my muscles being warm or something, I never felt it. I finished the race in the top 100 in a field of 3,000 and didn't know anything had happened until I went for my first run after the race. There's nothing else that I could've done that would've caused it so I have to assume it happened during the race.

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

All playing basketball

- tore my hamstring

- chomped a hole straight through my tongue after being elbowed in the face

- fractured elbow - initially thought I'd just jarred it so continued to play for another 30 seconds and tried to keep moving it once I went out of the game. Ouch.

- burst blood vessels in hand which caused the wrist and hand to swell to the size of a baseball

- broken collarbone

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Buck Turgidson

I was hoping for something more impressive: rockslide hunting elk in Idaho, something. My days of jumping out of the bed of a truck are done. I realize this every time I do it.

I get your point about atrophy, but as of now I still do all the hiking and ranch work and stuff that I want to do - except crawling around on my hands and knees in the garden or plumbing or something, and I never really liked that **** in the first place.

Oh, I had to google your user name. Learn something new every day.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Damn skippy.

Plowman likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

the funny thing is I didn't jump out of the bed of the truck--I was in the cab and simply jumped out of the seat onto the ground. :(

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Torn meniscus in right knee, torn ACL in left knee two years later. Playing basketball both times.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

i heard paulwtfk tore and broke little boys' dreams of ever playing organized ball, worldwide.

jbasket likes this.