1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does the Rockets history tell us about whom they might draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ottomaton, May 1, 2000.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking that by studing the draft and trade history of the Rockets one might get an idea whom the Rockets would be intrested in.

Unfortunately, I was only able to augur 3 trends that seem significant to me:

1. The CD era Rockets tend to aquire players who don't fit into the traditional concepts of the five positions. Examples include Chuckie the 6'4" PF, Mario Elie the 6'4" SF, Rod Rhodes the shooting guard who couldn't shoot, and 'tweeners' like Sam Cassell and Kenny Thomas.

2. Though less pronounced in the last couple of years, the Rockets evaluate guys based on traditional basketball skills far more than pure athleticism. Examples include Othela Harrington, Bryce Drew, Walt Williams, drafting Turkan over Lewis, and Chuck. Even when they aquired athletes the staff seemed to be more intrested in talking about basketball skills (i.e. Rudy talking mostly about Dickerson's midrange jumper after the '98 draft).

3.Excluding Cato, and when they pursued McDyess, the Rockets tend to prefer inside players who are heavier, "banger" types like Harrington, Pig, and Charles as opposed to the Joe Smith, McDyess, Theo Ratliff type finess/quickness guys.

Obviously, the rebuilding process renders some old data irrelevent, but, I would be intrested if anyone agrees or disagrees with my assessment, whether there is anything I missed, and who's available in the draft or free agency who might fit into this profile.
    Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Dude said "augur" and "studing".

I personally think that Rudy, just like every other coach, took what was best and fit best into his scheme. Chuckster was obtained because he's a hall-of-famer and was a good player. If anything, Rudy may tend to acquire players with a strong work ethic and "blue collar" types whilling to put forth effort, but when you're picking mid-1st round or later, what else do you have to do but take chances? More than anything else, Rudy gets the following :

1) Players with the guts to bang and shoot with players regarded much higher than they are.
    2) Players who will bust their butts while they're out on the court.
    3) Players who are loyal and accept their roles on the team despite their previous success or lack thereof.
    4) Unselfish players.

Selfish players who got the boot that I can think of... Thomas Hamilton, Snottie Pipsqueak, Mad Max, and maybe even Mario Elie and Otis Thorpe to a lesser certain extent (just supposition, no concrete evidence). Rudy's got a way of surrounding a couple of star players with a great, but more importantly, an unselfish supporting cast.

------------------
    ?

3. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Rudy always drafts the sleepers, players who have the same talent as the top players with some defect. Sort of like Brand, Kenny thingy. He takes a chance on Kenny's work ethic and its a risk, and has huge pay off.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

4. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

The problem with trying to look at past trends is that Rudy typically hasn't had a very high pick to work with. The Rocks have done exceptionally well with lower picks. If the Rockets win a top three pick, I think they'll take the best 4/5 available. If they don't pick until 9 or later, I think it really depends on who may slip to that position. I would love to see them take one of the really young guys that may not help so much next year, but could really develop in 2 or 3. Miles, Dermarr, Moiso, Miller.

------------------

5. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

The difference between these drafts and previous drafts is that we are in the middle of the lottery. The past few years when we were drating 20+ thats fine but remember when we had 3 picks we got Dickerson, Drew who was not a stretch for the type of team we had and took a chance on Turckan, a chance that did not pay off due to Quitten.

------------------